Problem with Halo and Direct3d

When i run Halo, it tries to start but crashes, and gives me some blah blah
message about some direct3d issue and maybe hardware acceleration is
disabled. BUT its not i checked and i ran all DXDIAG tests and passed.
Weird thing is, the game runs in safemode... these are my PC specs btw: 2.6
ghz p4 w/HT, 512 ram, 256mb ATI 9550 graphics card. I recently upgraded to
the ATI 9550 from the Geforce 4 mx 440 64mb thingy, and the game ran fine
on that... any tips?
8 answers Last reply
More about problem halo direct3d

    "John Doe via WindowsKB.com" <forum@WindowsKB.com> wrote in message
    > edit: i have the latest ATI drivers

    Did you uninstall the nVidia drivers before putting the ATi card in your
    machine?

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

    yes im certain i did uninstall the Nvidia drivers... and i have all the new
    ATI stuff... i REALLY would appreciate any help on this issue - again i can
    run in safemode, but not in regular mode - and my old graphics card could,
    so its not that the graphics card is bad or anything

    o btw my pc is the dell 4600c, which is small, so only a half-size card is
    supposed to fit - however, i just keep the case open, but the thing is, a
    little metal piece makes it so i have to use the VGA port instead of DVI...
    if i really have to i can cut this off (with much difficulty)... i doubt
    this is the root of the problem though... again any and all suggestions
    would be GREAT!

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Since the card doesn't fit, and the customization
    isn't working, have you contacted DELL support
    for a proper solution to your hardware needs?

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    dude this is the thing the card fits perfectly the motherboard excepts it
    and everything i know its not that cuz it worked before when my case is
    open - and i have v1.06... o well this is weird i think its the graphics
    card some shiiiiitte im getting the 6800 gt 256mb card soon so i bet that
    will work... one more odd thing - it works sometimes (note: i always run
    safemode cuz thats when it sometimes works) and sometimes it just doesnt...
    reallllllly weird

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    I have the same problem with my Alien Ware lap top. It run's Half life 2 no
    problem. With halo it give's me check dxdiag. I have the latest direct x 9.
    What do I do?

    "John Doe via WindowsKB.com" wrote:

    > When i run Halo, it tries to start but crashes, and gives me some blah blah
    > message about some direct3d issue and maybe hardware acceleration is
    > disabled. BUT its not i checked and i ran all DXDIAG tests and passed.
    > Weird thing is, the game runs in safemode... these are my PC specs btw: 2.6
    > ghz p4 w/HT, 512 ram, 256mb ATI 9550 graphics card. I recently upgraded to
    > the ATI 9550 from the Geforce 4 mx 440 64mb thingy, and the game ran fine
    > on that... any tips?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Slay,

    You have a similar if not the same problem. Lookup the error message here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829478

    --

    "Slay" <Slay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F62BC298-F1AD-4E32-8266-C361EFA56625@microsoft.com...
    |I have the same problem with my Alien Ware lap top. It run's Half life 2 no
    | problem. With halo it give's me check dxdiag. I have the latest direct x 9.
    | What do I do?
    |
    | "John Doe via WindowsKB.com" wrote:
    |
    | > When i run Halo, it tries to start but crashes, and gives me some blah blah
    | > message about some direct3d issue and maybe hardware acceleration is
    | > disabled. BUT its not i checked and i ran all DXDIAG tests and passed.
    | > Weird thing is, the game runs in safemode... these are my PC specs btw: 2.6
    | > ghz p4 w/HT, 512 ram, 256mb ATI 9550 graphics card. I recently upgraded to
    | > the ATI 9550 from the Geforce 4 mx 440 64mb thingy, and the game ran fine
    | > on that... any tips?

Direct3D Games Windows XP