Problem with Halo and Direct3d

When i run Halo, it tries to start but crashes, and gives me some blah blah
message about some direct3d issue and maybe hardware acceleration is
disabled. BUT its not i checked and i ran all DXDIAG tests and passed.
Weird thing is, the game runs in safemode... these are my PC specs btw: 2.6
ghz p4 w/HT, 512 ram, 256mb ATI 9550 graphics card. I recently upgraded to
the ATI 9550 from the Geforce 4 mx 440 64mb thingy, and the game ran fine
on that... any tips?

"John Doe via WindowsKB.com" <forum@WindowsKB.com> wrote in message
> edit: i have the latest ATI drivers

Did you uninstall the nVidia drivers before putting the ATi card in your
machine?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

yes im certain i did uninstall the Nvidia drivers... and i have all the new
ATI stuff... i REALLY would appreciate any help on this issue - again i can
run in safemode, but not in regular mode - and my old graphics card could,
so its not that the graphics card is bad or anything

o btw my pc is the dell 4600c, which is small, so only a half-size card is
supposed to fit - however, i just keep the case open, but the thing is, a
little metal piece makes it so i have to use the VGA port instead of DVI...
if i really have to i can cut this off (with much difficulty)... i doubt
this is the root of the problem though... again any and all suggestions
would be GREAT!

Since the card doesn't fit, and the customization
isn't working, have you contacted DELL support
for a proper solution to your hardware needs?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games

dude this is the thing the card fits perfectly the motherboard excepts it
and everything i know its not that cuz it worked before when my case is
open - and i have v1.06... o well this is weird i think its the graphics
card some shiiiiitte im getting the 6800 gt 256mb card soon so i bet that
will work... one more odd thing - it works sometimes (note: i always run
safemode cuz thats when it sometimes works) and sometimes it just doesnt...
reallllllly weird

slay

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005

I have the same problem with my Alien Ware lap top. It run's Half life 2 no
problem. With halo it give's me check dxdiag. I have the latest direct x 9.
What do I do?

"John Doe via WindowsKB.com" wrote:

> When i run Halo, it tries to start but crashes, and gives me some blah blah
> message about some direct3d issue and maybe hardware acceleration is
> disabled. BUT its not i checked and i ran all DXDIAG tests and passed.
> Weird thing is, the game runs in safemode... these are my PC specs btw: 2.6
> ghz p4 w/HT, 512 ram, 256mb ATI 9550 graphics card. I recently upgraded to
> the ATI 9550 from the Geforce 4 mx 440 64mb thingy, and the game ran fine
> on that... any tips?

Hi Slay,

You have a similar if not the same problem. Lookup the error message here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829478