6770 vs 7750 vs ? (Graphics card knowledge help!)

andy2020

Honorable
May 27, 2012
I've been looking to up my graphics card, or buy a second one and crossfire.
But I have no idea what to look for in them, and just recently 'upgraded' to what I think may be a slightly lesser product. I'm looking for performance playing video games mostly (BF3, GW2, Skyrim... etc.)

Here's what I HAD:
XFX - AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 Graphics Card

Here's what I BOUGHT:
XFX - Core Edition AMD Radeon HD 7750 2GB DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

It seems like the old one is better, at least that is what general internet research and the windows experience rating tells me.
The only 'problem' is that my mobo is only DDR3 compatible. Clearly it's downclocking the card to work.
This is my motherboard: ASROCK 970 EXTREME 4 AM3 ATX

Other specs:
16gb DDR3 1333 ram
AMD Phenom II X4 963 Processor 3.4GHZ

So what do you think? Is there some third option I should be looking at?

They should be in a similar(mid end) performance(the 7750 is made to actually replace the 5750/6750, not the 5770/6770. so it is actually slower) level. Some games will be faster, other slower.

Motherboard memory has NOTHING to do with video memory, you are not loosing anything using a DDR3 MB with GDDR5 video card.

andy2020

Honorable
May 27, 2012
I'm glad the mobo doesn't care what kind of memory you use. The performance *is* similar.
But, when it comes down to it, replacing one 6770 with one 7750 probably isn't as good as getting two 6770s. Again, I really don't know though.

G

please do not get another 6770, a multi card configuration with lower end card are not all that great.

save up for a 7870.

I edited.

Some games will run better, others will run worse. it was much more of a sideways grade then anything else.

The 7750 is a replacement for the 5750/6750.
The 7770 is a replacement for the 5770/6770.

If you want more power you need to move upto a higher end card.

Even a GTX 650ti is faster, but not a worthwhile upgrade in the end.

EDIT again.

Did you say the card has DDR3 and not GDDR5? That will not be as fast ever :(

andy2020

Honorable
May 27, 2012
I'm pretty set to buy whatever. My knowledge of what to get is what is restricting my purchases. I'll look into the 7870.

Edit:
New card has DDR5 old has DDR3.
Looking into the 7870, which manufacturer is the 'best'? XFX, ASUS, MSi, etc...?

A DDR3 version of the HD7750 is an abomination; the card should have GDDR5 on it, which would give it performance close to (but likely still less) than a HD6770; a DDR3 version would be a lot slower.
If you get a HD7870, make sure your PSU is up to the task; a HD7870 needs a decent 500W PSU. Also, although the card itself may stay cool, it might heat up your case (mine certainly does). A single HD7850 would be a decent upgrade also.

Well, it's 50MHz faster, but that's it. The coolers are similar. I have an XFX card, but it runs at 1000MHz stock. It's a great card; my only negative observation is that it heats up my case, although a couple of case fans took care of it.

G

though a fine card the XFX is more of a "vanilla" card. the hawk has better cooling and VRMs to deliver better/stable power to the gpu to get a bit better clock speed out of the box.

and if you want to play around with overclocking it:
perf_oc.gif

you may achieve most excellent results.

here is one review .
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7870_HAWK/1.html

G

:eek:
please, the XFX cards do not have anything like the DC design of MSI cards . . just saying

The cooler on my card has heat pipes, much like MSI's. It is always quiet, and the card itself stays cool. I know that some Sapphire cards use iron-core chokes, but afaik XFX and MSI both use the better (more efficient) ferrite core chokes. As to VRM quality, that I cannot say, although the ones MSI uses on their graphics cards are no doubt superior to what is on some of their [AMD] motherboards. I've never had a card from either company fail on me, but I have not overclocked my current GPUs. I would not hesitate to buy either brand.

G

honestly thats like saying all coolers with heatpipes are the same, (ok you said simular)
cooler2.jpg

the two towards the outside are HUGE. now i can't find a review let alone a "naked" picture of the "vanilla" XFX, just the black edtions or DDs (which has a different cooler.) but none of them appears to have pipes like that. (alone with fin and heatsink area)

and then:
reactor2.jpg

On the back of the card you will find MSI's GPU reactor. Which uses an additional PCB to provide extra voltage filtering to the GPU. It has been placed that way to be as close as possible to the GPU to maximize its effect.

look the card has the same "upfront" price as the XFX but $10 more after rebate; its more than worth it.

Mine are the DD's, so maybe they're better than the vanilla ones. I have indeed read that the base models from many companies (including XFX and HIS) aren't as good as their more upscale offerings. Having owned a base HIS model, I certainly found it to be true in my case. Anyway, I would not hesitate to buy the better models from MSI, XFX, or HIS.

G

wasn't trying to say anything negative of any card; just pointed out a few other features of the HAWK.

and when it comes down to it, since the OP was looking at a 6770/7750, i think they will be happy with any 7870.