Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help!

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2013 12:27:58 PM

I have some experience changing out parts- never went so far as to change a mother board. Here's the situation

I have a used server with Windows 7 Ultimate & Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4 GHz

It's got pre-loaded software I need

I just bought a 750w PSU to upgrade my video card and add a hard drive backup (have 700 mb) & a DVD-RW (to the CD-RW).

I have only one PCI-E slot- but that gives me 7.25" max length until I hit my 20+4 pin connector/cable for my CPU (OUCH!)

Needless to say no legitimate gaming card will fit. (I was just going to purchase a new HD 5850 Xtreme)

I intend to keep a mid-tower forever (ergonomic keyboard, upgradability etc.)

I am in business and this will be my business computer as well as personal.

Does this mean a new case? I am on a budget but I want something that will last 5 years or more (hopefully). My last XP computer did (I still have because of software at 16/32bits).

I only wanted to spend $200 in upgrades but it looks like more now. I need another Hard drive (1 gb), graphics card (HD 6850 or better),

So am I stuck with a new case and what would be the most cost effective for a 5yr+ use?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

More about : question

February 16, 2013 12:50:28 PM

honestly everything is a littlebit confusing for me of what you wrote... lolz
i have a q6600 build and its just been replaced last month after over 5 year use. So any serious gaming out of that thing you can imagine really will not happen. it will Definetly NOT last for another 5 years, I can see it be useful for another couple of years if you overclock the cpu. There is no USE in getting an intense vid card if you DO NOT overclock, since the gpu will only run as fast as the cpu can run. if you overclock cpu; lets say to 3.2ghz then you will be able to match it with a good video card.

for vid cards, you are looking at EVGA (ones that i know right off the top of my head), they are small size (the 100-150$ range cards)
ie: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
length of 6" and this card will give really nice graphics (around high settings on modern games)

for cooler for CPU i think Coolermaster Evo 212 will work (if buying the vid card, you really need the overclock, otherwise... NO Point like i said)

how much ram are you running?

i uno... respond with some thoughts

February 16, 2013 1:04:18 PM

yes , it is a little confusing - new case will not make longer video card fit (if the 20+4 its in the way of pci line),for single card all u need is 550 w psu , and q6600 its very nice ,
i have that still in my pc running at 3.0 ghz , with cheap aftermarket cooler
Related resources
February 16, 2013 1:48:54 PM

gussrtk said:
i have a q6600 build and its just been replaced last month after over 5 year use. So any serious gaming out of that thing you can imagine really will not happen. it will Definetly NOT last for another 5 years, I can see it be useful for another couple of years if you overclock the cpu. There is no USE in getting an intense vid card if you DO NOT overclock, since the gpu will only run as fast as the cpu can run. if you overclock cpu; lets say to 3.2ghz then you will be able to match it with a good video card.

for vid cards, you are looking at EVGA (ones that i know right off the top of my head), they are small size (the 100-150$ range cards)
length of 6" and this card will give really nice graphics (around high settings on modern games)

for cooler for CPU i think Coolermaster Evo 212 will work (if buying the vid card, you really need the overclock, otherwise... NO Point like i said)

I am using 4 gb ram. I have not overclocked the cpu (didn't know that would be a bottleneck) And I have already purchased the PC Power & Cooling 750W Silverline PSU- Because of expandabilty/ great price ($64 delivered after rebate) Remember- I have a 5 year horizon for any NEW component- But yeah , my cpu may become an issue but my software is tied to the bios so I would rather not try to upgrade here- I will lose my "free" business software.
February 16, 2013 1:53:59 PM

gussrtk said:

Oh! Doh!!! My bad- the card is shown upside down (dummy me)- the circuit board is on top so the HD 5850 will clear the cpu connector & should work fine.

Thanks for the advise. I can see now why this was confusing- but that is why I am here and I appreciate the help!!
February 16, 2013 2:00:24 PM

Spacetransient said:
Oh! Doh!!! My bad- the card is shown upside down (dummy me)- the circuit board is on top so the HD 5850 will clear the cpu connector & should work fine.

Thanks for the advise. I can see now why this was confusing- but that is why I am here and I appreciate the help!!

lolz i didnt even check the spc of your card since you said it would not fit.

i guess then you are really cornered with your options.

so you are going to be running XP?

i would still try get something newer than the 5850 and OC the cpu. Which motherboard do you have? do you know?
February 16, 2013 2:04:02 PM

MrSlavw said:
yes , it is a little confusing - new case will not make longer video card fit (if the 20+4 its in the way of pci line),for single card all u need is 550 w psu , and q6600 its very nice ,

Just posted to qussartk:

Your right! The confusion was mine (as a newb). The graphics cards are shown upside down from the way they are installed so I did not get it that I would easily miss the 20+4 connector with the circuit board rather than the fan housing on the upside.

The HD 5850 Xtreme should work fine if the cpu will support it (?)

Thanks- Sorry I am inexperienced -at least for the last few years....
February 16, 2013 2:05:51 PM

MrSlavw said:

Just posted to qussartk:

Your right! The confusion was mine (as a newb). The graphics cards are shown upside down from the way they are installed so I did not get it that I would easily miss the 20+4 connector with the circuit board rather than the fan housing on the upside.

The HD 5850 Xtreme should work fine if the cpu will support it (?)

Thanks- Sorry I am inexperienced -at least for the last few years....

Best solution

February 16, 2013 2:12:33 PM

there will be a bottleneck at stock speed of q6600 on programs/games that run on 2 cores only. and the programs that run on 4 cores should be pretty equal, there may be a light bottleneck.

just get some cooler that will fit and overclock it. you need only 3Ghz which is very attainable even with a half decent cooler
February 16, 2013 2:30:07 PM

Thanks-
So overclock and cool existing cpu -
Does a new HD 5850 (Xtreme/overclocked) make sense or go for a 6950 (used) instead. I really have only $150 budgeted for a graphics card. I mostly play WoW/Skyrim/EVE but I am sure I will pick up some newer games in the future. For now 1600 x 900 is all I need- be awhile before I get to/past 1920 x
February 16, 2013 2:58:07 PM

for me 6950 is overkill, i have had my 6600 with 5830 xtreme, than i upgraded to 6870 ,
not much performance gain, just make sure u have lots of air flow with that xtreme card , unless u will not use the xtreme future.
February 16, 2013 3:16:19 PM

Spacetransient said:
Thanks-
So overclock and cool existing cpu -
Does a new HD 5850 (Xtreme/overclocked) make sense or go for a 6950 (used) instead. I really have only $150 budgeted for a graphics card. I mostly play WoW/Skyrim/EVE but I am sure I will pick up some newer games in the future. For now 1600 x 900 is all I need- be awhile before I get to/past 1920 x

thats plenty of a budget for videocard. you can maybe try shoot for a 7850 radeon (xfx around 160 before tax)
February 16, 2013 3:23:00 PM

how much is that 5850?
February 16, 2013 10:01:15 PM

MrSlavw said:
how much is that 5850?

went ahead and got a "like new" HD 6850 instead for $56 delivered. Figured for that amount I could get a hotter & newer model later if required.

So guys- I am set for now and I really appreciate the forum. BTW- despite my ignorance, I have been an on and off follower of Toms's since 2001 when I bought my first video card. I bought my first computer in 1982!!

Thanks for helping out an old dragon......
February 16, 2013 10:02:35 PM

Best answer selected by spacetransient.
!