jersteev

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Hey folks,

Wonder if anyone can help me out with an issue I'm having. I just put together a new PC (with help of a more tech-savvy friend) and when trying to connect my display to my video card via HDMI, I'm presented with a flickering black screen that shows the desktop for a second or two then goes black (rinse/repeat). I've currently got the display working via it's DVI output but I want to run an HDMI connection primarily.
The display I'd like to connect is a Sony PS3 3D Display via HDMI. For the record, the HDMI connection had the same issue when connected to a 42" Samsung LCD HDTV.

Thanks!

RatedFatal

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I would stick with DVI for 3D, it doesnt limit the FPS, where as an HDMI can and most likely will limit your FPS... a buddy of mine did that, his FPS never went above 24 with HDMI but hit 60+ with DVI..... but that was with Radeon not Nvidia.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

Most TVs don't got DVI connections....

and it seems that either:
the cable is faulty
the card is faulty

try a different cable... it should cost like $3 for a 5 foot cable...

jersteev

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to stick with DVI, though I'd need an adapter, also fine. Still, I'm curious as to what's going on. I tried a different cable, same problem.

RatedFatal

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Could be drivers, make sure you have the most up to date drivers. Also it could just be the HDMI port, could be defective. Did you over clock the card? If so maybe the HDMI cable can't handle it especially if you have a "lesser" quality cable. I would check the port and make sure it isnt damaged or have anything jammed in there, or an excessive amount of dust, same with the cable.

jersteev

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
No overclocking, and tried different cables. I also picked up a DVI to HDMI cable today and it's producing the same issue... any ideas? Possible HDCP issues? Any solutions?

jersteev

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I tried just one display initially, the 40" Samsung HDTV and it's producing the black screen flicker via HDMI or DVI to HDMI. Now I've got the Samsung display connected via DVI - VGA which is stable and trying to trouble shoot the PS3 display while it is connected via DVI - HDMI. I currently have them both set to duplicate.

jersteev

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Just had a breakthrough (of sorts). I just deleted all video drivers and my ps3 display is now functioning at 1920x1080 via HDMI... it seems like it's using the onboard as I have no performance when loading a game or anything but it's more than I have gotten before...

What should I do now?

flaiteh

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

Got the exat same video card... having the exact same issues. HDMI is dead in my ASUS.

i guess its asus/nvidia related... with my previous ASUS boards, i always used ATI/amd and never had an issue.

send it back for an RMA