Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CLD-704 Problem

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
August 15, 2005 4:20:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

I have a '95 vintage CLD-704 which has always worked like a champ and has
been my main LD player from day one. In the last couple of years, from time
to time I noticed that it takes more and more tries to "sync" up a LD when I
first load up a disc. At first, I thought it might just be the typical
problem with these players which was the rubber "pad" needed cleaning and
resurfacing which I did a few times and it seemed the problem while not
completely going away, would be less frequent after such servicing.

However, this weekend, after not playing a movie on it for literally months,
I found it wouldn't load up a disc until I gave it about 20 tries. What
exactly happens is that I open the tray, load the disc, push either "Play"
or "Close" and the tray would close, the player would make an odd, hard to
hear "whining or electronic cycling noise" as if a gear is binding or maybe
the laser isn't reading the disc and then the tray would open back up.
Interestingly, when I first turn on the player without a LD in it, it makes
the same noise and the tray opens. Watching the player with the cover
removed, I could see that what wasn't happening was the disc wasn't spinning
and the metal rail on the top wasn't moving into a "play" position. After a
couple dozen tries, the rail would move into the overhead "play" position
and the disc would spin up and the LD would play fine. IMO, the problem
seems to have something to do with the mechanism that moves the top
rail/clampdown device. Incidently, it has no problems playing a cd.

At this point, I'm not convinced it's something as simple as cleaning the
rubber "clamp" that holds the disc yet again. Any suggestions?

T.B.

More about : cld 704 problem

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:20:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

This is the loading belt. With the top off and tray out you will see a belt
on the front right just under the tray, take it out and clean then try
again.

Kurtis

"TB" <partyslammer@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:CdRLe.1186$UE2.255@tornado.socal.rr.com...
>I have a '95 vintage CLD-704 which has always worked like a champ and has
>been my main LD player from day one. In the last couple of years, from time
>to time I noticed that it takes more and more tries to "sync" up a LD when
>I first load up a disc. At first, I thought it might just be the typical
>problem with these players which was the rubber "pad" needed cleaning and
>resurfacing which I did a few times and it seemed the problem while not
>completely going away, would be less frequent after such servicing.
>
> However, this weekend, after not playing a movie on it for literally
> months, I found it wouldn't load up a disc until I gave it about 20 tries.
> What exactly happens is that I open the tray, load the disc, push either
> "Play" or "Close" and the tray would close, the player would make an odd,
> hard to hear "whining or electronic cycling noise" as if a gear is binding
> or maybe the laser isn't reading the disc and then the tray would open
> back up. Interestingly, when I first turn on the player without a LD in
> it, it makes the same noise and the tray opens. Watching the player with
> the cover removed, I could see that what wasn't happening was the disc
> wasn't spinning and the metal rail on the top wasn't moving into a "play"
> position. After a couple dozen tries, the rail would move into the
> overhead "play" position and the disc would spin up and the LD would play
> fine. IMO, the problem seems to have something to do with the mechanism
> that moves the top rail/clampdown device. Incidently, it has no problems
> playing a cd.
>
> At this point, I'm not convinced it's something as simple as cleaning the
> rubber "clamp" that holds the disc yet again. Any suggestions?
>
> T.B.
>
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:16:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> skrev i en meddelelse
news:5_6dnYE3itLEd2LfRVn-rw@comcast.com...
> This is the loading belt. With the top off and tray out you will see a
> belt on the front right just under the tray, take it out and clean then
> try again.

Are you sure? My two CLD-D925 do the same thing but I was told
it had something to do with the mechanism that moves the laser.

Something that eventually will happen with all players that have
dual side play.

/Kenneth Iversen
Related resources
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:45:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

The 704 is a different mechanism. The older players can jump at the point
when the gear transitions between the forward/back track and engaging to
turn over.

Now, for the tray to even come out the pickup needs to be in its resting
spot. Sounds to me like the belt is slipping while trying to get the
mechanism up to play position. He can just take the top off, open the tray,
put in a LD and press play or close. When it make the noise just lift up on
the mechanism (assist it coming up) and if this is bad it will recognize it
is fully up and start trying to read the LD.

Kurtis

"Kenneth Iversen" <kenneth.iversen@notvalid.tele.duh> wrote in message
news:43022ccd$0$156$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk...
> "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:5_6dnYE3itLEd2LfRVn-rw@comcast.com...
>> This is the loading belt. With the top off and tray out you will see a
>> belt on the front right just under the tray, take it out and clean then
>> try again.
>
> Are you sure? My two CLD-D925 do the same thing but I was told
> it had something to do with the mechanism that moves the laser.
>
> Something that eventually will happen with all players that have
> dual side play.
>
> /Kenneth Iversen
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:55:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> skrev i en meddelelse
news:ZMGdncuB3e-WFJ_eRVn-uA@comcast.com...
> The 704 is a different mechanism. The older players can jump at the point
> when the gear transitions between the forward/back track and engaging to
> turn over.
>
> Now, for the tray to even come out the pickup needs to be in its resting
> spot. Sounds to me like the belt is slipping while trying to get the
> mechanism up to play position. He can just take the top off, open the
> tray, put in a LD and press play or close. When it make the noise just
> lift up on the mechanism (assist it coming up) and if this is bad it will
> recognize it is fully up and start trying to read the LD.

It does sound like it could be that. I think I will try to do the same to my
players to see if it helps. Thanks for a very informative reply :-)

/Kenneth Iversen
!