Sign in with
Your question

Budget Gaming PC without GPU

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2013 1:23:29 PM

Hey. Here is the computer I plan on buying in 7 days. I won't be able to afford a graphics card so I was wondering if the Intel HD 4000 Graphics were good enough to run WoW on high 1920x1080, since it's mostly cpu demanding. I am also overclocking the CPU. And was also wondering if it will run Black Ops 2 on low, and Skyrim on medium-high. I will be getting a 7870 in 2 months from now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($110.52 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $761.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-16 10:20 EST-0500)

More about : budget gaming gpu

February 16, 2013 1:41:56 PM

Nope. It would not run anything you wish at the settings youw ant it at 1080p unfortunately.

HD4000 Graphics are still very crappy for gaming unfortunately. But other than the lack of GPU, you have a great build.

Don't you have an old GPU you can recycle?
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:43:47 PM

Can't answer your question but I like the system you made.

Based not on experience, I have a HD 2500, I don't think you could reach Skyrim on Low @1080p with 50fps. When I play it my system pushes the GPU. So far that you need a 7870.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 1:47:39 PM

Novuake said:
Nope. It would not run anything you wish at the settings youw ant it at 1080p unfortunately.

HD4000 Graphics are still very crappy for gaming unfortunately. But other than the lack of GPU, you have a great build.

Don't you have an old GPU you can recycle?

Nope. My current computer i'm using uses the Intel Pentium G860 integrated GPU. ^.^
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:52:22 PM

Intel onboard graphics just aren't powerful enough to run most games very well. My guess is you will have to reduce the resolution (1024x720)and reduce the graphical settings to a pretty low setting depending on game. It will also probably run at about 30FPS. I did a quick search on Google and there are alot of YouTube videos for the Intel HD 4000 graphics with some games so you can get a feel for what to expect. My guess is your games will be playable, just not at the settings you would like to see.

However, if you are intending to get a video card in 2 months, I think it is worth while toughing it out for that time as your system above is really a nice setup in my opinion and worthy of a good graphics card. Do you have any old card setting around from an old system? Even an older card may give you better graphics than the HD4000.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:56:13 PM

techdude9 said:
Nope. My current computer i'm using uses the Intel Pentium G860 integrated GPU. ^.^

If this is your current system, I would buy the video card and PSU FIRST and put it in this system. Then in 2 months when you would have previously bought the video card, buy your system. This way you are not without a workable gaming system. The G860 would run those games just fine with a decent video card.
m
l
February 16, 2013 2:55:32 PM

jay2tall said:
If this is your current system, I would buy the video card and PSU FIRST and put it in this system. Then in 2 months when you would have previously bought the video card, buy your system. This way you are not without a workable gaming system. The G860 would run those games just fine with a decent video card.

It's an all in one. ): I also already have the CPU, case, and memory. Just thought I would include it in the build above.
m
l
February 16, 2013 2:55:40 PM

jay2tall said:

It's an all in one. ):

EDIT: Sorry, system glitch, just like Novuake :3
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:00:47 PM

I would consider downgrading the CPU maybe to an i3-3220 or AMD fx 6300, and spending the money on a graphics card - it will make for better framerates overall, as the hd4000 graphics just aren't good enough. Either that, or just save some more money so you can get both at the same time.
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:38:53 PM

If your getting the 7870 in two months then just scrap off what you could with your current build and then play the games with the 7870 and be amazed by the performance.
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:41:40 PM

AMD APU creams the Intel on board graphics. how come nobody mentioned that?
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:44:58 PM

Hes buying a 7870 in two months so...I think hes better off waiting
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:45:55 PM

swifty_morgan said:

Becasue he is attempting to game at 1080p... LOL an APU still cant do that very well.
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:56:29 PM

HD 4000 can only fight in WoW at the low preset. Intel onboard is good for video, unfortunately not so much for games.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/trinity-gaming-perf...

swifty_morgan said:

^Exactly that, but unfortunately the OP said that he already has the CPU, for that money an APU would have really done a better job,
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:12:03 PM

Novuake said:
Becasue he is attempting to game at 1080p... LOL an APU still cant do that very well.

it can on medium and some high settings depending on the application.

The OP sounds as if he's on a very tight budget and the 7870 won't be coming as quickly as he or anybody thinks.

OP, look at this in the term of reality.
m
l
February 17, 2013 12:58:08 AM

techdude9 said:
It's an all in one. ):
Oh no, those things are taking over the planet. I see them at the store all the time.

swifty_morgan said:
The APU's just aren't that great for gaming. They have the best onboard video, but still don't hold a candle to a standard CPU and lowend card. I would never recommend an APU for gaming. They are good general used machines if you intend to watch alot of movies and do some light graphical stuff.

To be honest, I like your system as you stated. I would just bear down and play what you can until you can get a good graphics card. That system will last you a long time. If you start cutting down stuff you will regret it in the long run.

m
l
February 17, 2013 12:21:17 PM

jay2tall said:
Oh no, those things are taking over the planet. I see them at the store all the time.

The APU's just aren't that great for gaming. They have the best onboard video, but still don't hold a candle to a standard CPU and lowend card. I would never recommend an APU for gaming. They are good general used machines if you intend to watch alot of movies and do some light graphical stuff.

To be honest, I like your system as you stated. I would just bear down and play what you can until you can get a good graphics card. That system will last you a long time. If you start cutting down stuff you will regret it in the long run.

Yeah. I'm going to get either a 7850, 7870, or 660 sometime soon. Depends on what is the cheapest at the time.

Thanks for the replies everyone. (:
m
l
February 17, 2013 12:30:08 PM

I'd keep saving, and when you have enough, buy it all at once. I think your system is perfect, once you put in a GPU. And since the price is very close, I'd look at the 7870 xt when the time comes.
m
l
!