I bought a HD6950 1Gb card last year when I built a system. Now that they don't make new ones can I assume except for E-bay I am screwed on adding a 2nd card for Crossfire. It is good enough right now but I was hoping to get a few years use from the one card then buy the 2nd card cheap and get a couple more years use out of Crossfire. I am thinking now when it is too slow I will just have to upgrade.

Solution
Crossfire has micro-stutter issues and the 1GB of Video RAM is getting problematic now anyway for some games.

You are far better off a SINGLE graphics card and replacing your 6950.

Look around in a year or two and get an HD8000 or GTX700 series or whatever with 2GB or 3GB of VRAM that is at least 3x the performance of your 6950.
Crossfire has micro-stutter issues and the 1GB of Video RAM is getting problematic now anyway for some games.

You are far better off a SINGLE graphics card and replacing your 6950.

Look around in a year or two and get an HD8000 or GTX700 series or whatever with 2GB or 3GB of VRAM that is at least 3x the performance of your 6950.

Solution

That is what I thought. I have always thought that a single card was better anyway. At least this time I will have a viable upgrade path unlike my AGP fiasco years ago.

TRENDING THREADS