GTx 660 ti black screen for a second?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hi:

I just built my new computer with a gtx 660 ti. I just experienced a second duration of black screen twice today. both not in game. So I would like to know if it is possible for me to somehow damaged the gpu when putting it together? It is a brand new card so I doubt it was defected.

What could have caused this? should I return the gpu for another one?

thanks!

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
gonna push this up a bit, thanks.

also I just remember both times happen in firefox, as well as another two times was when I open fraps and windows ask me for my permission to trust fraps to make changes on my computer.

thanks!

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
In Firefox it was probably the dreaded Driver Has Stopped Responding Error, disabling Hardware Acceleration in Firefox and Flash will usually rid you of it. the one when you opened Fraps, was just likely a glitch as the screen usually darkens when the popup happens.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I see, so it doesn't sound like a gpu problem to you?

i just disabled the acceleration and hoping i won't encounter the blackscreen again. but just out of curiosity what are the usual signs of gpu defect? I just built my computer and I want to ensure my gpu is working properly. If not I can go exchange it.

thanks for the reply!

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

well with the firefox and fraps my monitor goes black but it never happens when booting. Neither have I encounter any freeze or crashing while I'm in windows so I think I'm fine, for now.

when you say constant freeze and crash, you mean like very frequent, noticeable frequent kind of freezing and crashing right?

thanks for the reply!

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I actually do have some "lag" when moving my mouse every once in a while. But that sounds more like a OS problem to me(if anything CPU). gpu wouldn't have anything to do with it right?

Try updating Windows and all the drivers to see if that helps.
you can also try keeping the task manager open in the background to see if there is any program running that is using up too much of resources and thereby causing this lag. Many a times some background applications take up too much resources and cause lags.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

understood, I'm going to do that now and see how it goes.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
So I don't think is just a firefox or fraps problem anymore, when I was playing game earlier my screen went black on me again.

I'm really nervous that this might be a gpu/monitor problem. but I'm not sure it this is a hardware or driver error.

im using the ps3 simulview 3d display tv as my monitor. But I don't think if it is the monitor's problem.

are there any software that can tell if your gpu is not working properly (something that records its performance vs time or something)

thanks

you can try using your gpu on any other computer just to see if the similar problem cross up again.
software problems generally do not repeat on every machine unless it is a problem with the nvidia driver itself which I don't think is the case either.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Nvidia's drivers have been known to have TDR error issues, 3 of my last video cards were Nvidia and all 3 had TDR issues(Black screen, and or "Driver has stopped responding and has been recovered" messages and actual crashes w/ audio looping).

The way I usually dealt with it was, Uninstall my driver, restart in safe mode and run driver sweeper and clean the nvidia display driver, reboot and install the newest driver, then reboot again.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I think it's going to be hard to find another computer that has compatible spec with my card in my social circle but im gonna try.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I see, I'm gonna give it a try then , thanks!

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I just installed the driver again like you said and no black screen so far. But not sure how long it will stay that way.

Are black screen a typical hardware problem or more of the driver ?

assassin1234

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
when i istalled the asus monitoring software which comes with the motherboard on my computer i got this blak screen for i second, when i opened the program and was monitoring temps and i got this randomly when i used this program and windows gave me a live kernel event error,
but other monitor softwares were worked nicely.
after that i unistalled this program this went away ,
i think this is caused by some softwares and not a hardware fault

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

let's hope that's the case, Im going to install the gpu monitoring software from my motherboard disk. thanks!

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

what is rma?

do you think it could be the cpu/motherboard/ram too, if so i need to check those at the store as well. thanks!

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

yucks shipping cost

Status
Not open for further replies.