Splitting the connection in two

G

Hello everyone. I have cable internet with 12 Mbit download and 1.25 Mbit upload speed. I'm using Thomson TGW850-4 router and I'm sharing the connection with my brother. Each of us have our own PC, of course.

Problem is, my brother downloads torrents while I play online games which completely screws up with my ping (from 40-80 to 350+) which makes them pretty much unplayable.

Is there a way to split the connection in two so that each of us gets 6 Mbit download and 0.625 Mbit upload at all times so that his torrents don't interfere with my online games?

Thanks in advance. :)

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
the router sets this, if you can't log in to the router you can't change this.
If you can. check in lann and advanced lan as well as wan, to see if there are any throttleing or balanceing settings....turn them off if you can. This should allow both connections to run the same speed.

If you've turned these off, tested it, and still se the issue persist. Your isp has throttleing and balance at their end...they will want you to subscribe to a bizness line or some higher priced plan,

But, if you can find a way to setup another nic on one pc...connect the 1 pc to the other using a patch cable. Cat5e minimum...Share the net from the nic you use to connect to the router with the new pc. It should show up at the router as one connection. Your pc will now balance his pc via windows. If both are set for 100 full duplex...you should be fine.

This way if he starts hogging it again, your pc will have priority, and his will take a slight cut in ping...he doesn't need good ping to download, and most likely won't notice a change.

G

I can't find throttling or balancing anywhere in my router.

As for the other suggestion, wouldn't that mean my computer has to be on for my brother to use the Internet?

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
The program he uses should have connection settings. Personally I would cap the total download, and upload (with in the program). Also cut the connections in half and see how it goes. Or just ask him to download at night when everyone is sleeping.

G

If the two of us could come to some sort of an agreement, I wouldn't have made this thread. :')

I don't know what's the deal with torrents, but no matter how much you cap the rates, they always cripple the speed for everything else. So that doesn't help.

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
you could always ban his MAC address in the DHCP section of the router... Banning his MAC would basically prevent him from accessing the net...

G

That's not the point, though. :) Believe me, sometimes he makes me so mad that's the things I'd like to do the most, but that would only cause more problems.

tomatthe

Distinguished
I wasn't able to find much documentation on the router you listed above, but generally this is done using Quality of Service settings (QoS).

If you can locate that section in your router interface you should be able to make the changes needed.

TRENDING THREADS