16 Bit Windows Subsystem Error

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
application.

Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my CD
Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
Windows XP.

For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
can see from the error message above.

PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as to
why this is happening.

Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Your AUTOEXEC.NT is either missing or corrupt. Go to \windows\repair and
copy the AUTOEXEC.NT you find there to \windows\system32

"Cindy E." <CindyE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
> application.
>
> Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my
> CD
> Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
> understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
> Windows XP.
>
> For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
> Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
> played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
> can see from the error message above.
>
> PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as
> why this is happening.
>
> Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

Hi Cindy,

Jerry's advice is correct, but here's another method as well.. :)

Here's an easy method to solve that error:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
(Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message news:ufTP5HbUFHA.628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| Your AUTOEXEC.NT is either missing or corrupt. Go to \windows\repair and
| copy the AUTOEXEC.NT you find there to \windows\system32
|
| "Cindy E." <CindyE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
| > running
| > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
| > application.
| >
| > Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my
| > CD
| > Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
| > understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
| > Windows XP.
| >
| > For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
| > Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
| > played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
| > can see from the error message above.
| >
| > PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as
| > why this is happening.
| >
| > Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

Jerry this frazzled grandma is truly grateful for your help and my grandkids
send you all a big hug.

"Jerry" wrote:

> Your AUTOEXEC.NT is either missing or corrupt. Go to \windows\repair and
> copy the AUTOEXEC.NT you find there to \windows\system32
>
> "Cindy E." <CindyE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> > running
> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
> > application.
> >
> > Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my
> > CD
> > Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
> > understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
> > Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
> > played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
> > can see from the error message above.
> >
> > PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as
> > why this is happening.
> >
> > Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

Thanks Jimmy, this frazzled grandma is tickled to death. My grandkids send
you all a big hug.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Cindy,
>
> Jerry's advice is correct, but here's another method as well.. :)
>
> Here's an easy method to solve that error:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
> If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
>
> 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>
> 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>

> * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
> right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
> option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>

> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message news:ufTP5HbUFHA.628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> | Your AUTOEXEC.NT is either missing or corrupt. Go to \windows\repair and
> | copy the AUTOEXEC.NT you find there to \windows\system32
> |
> | "Cindy E." <CindyE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> | > running
> | > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
> | > application.
> | >
> | > Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my
> | > CD
> | > Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
> | > understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
> | > Windows XP.
> | >
> | > For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
> | > Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
> | > played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
> | > can see from the error message above.
> | >
> | > PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as
> | > why this is happening.
> | >
> | > Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

:)