Partial power? please help!

blondie7

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hello,

My simple home-build is driving me crazy. Pressing the power button, she'll light up for about half a second, then nada. HDD doesn't spin (new, also new power supply & motherboard), nothing.

Any ideas?

Most likely you got a bad one. I would guess you paid less than $20?

You need a good power supply. Good power supplies come from Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec to name a few.
Is your motherboard an ATX standard? I can figure it out with the make and model if you don't know.

blondie7

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Not sure on the motherboard. I took the power supply out & put it I'm my husband's pc. Power supply works. Same with the ram. This thing is driving me nuts. It's probably something small & stupid that I'm missing.

Well that is good troubleshooting. Does your husband's pc have a video card and if so which one? Did you let it boot up?

Can you test your Video card in your husband's pc?, CPU?

blondie7

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Original build was 5-6 years ago. Until now, only thing that had gone bad was the CPU. Symptoms listed above started a week ago. Parts replaced on advice from company "IT guy".

blondie7

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Also, hubby's computer is an even older Dell. No pci express slot.

All right if there is a momentary input then nothing that means either the mb is grounded, a bad mb, or bad psu. You eliminated the psu so we are down to mb.

If you are sure all the standoffs were placed properly that would eliminate the grounding issue.

Based on nothing staying on ( I assume that means case fans and cpu cooler fan) then that is a bad mb. Return it. for another one.

blondie7

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

That's kinda where my thoughts were heading. I'll double check for grounding first, then return the motherboard. Thanks so much for your help!