What to do with a new gpu?

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hi:

I just built my new computer with a gtx 660 ti and i5 3570k.

I tried several games and I'm not getting consistent fps with that of most reviews and benchmarks online.

So I am suspecting there's something I am supposed to do with a new gpu.

I have installed the latest driver, directx 11. My highest temp of the gpu is 69 after 20 minutes of bf3 maxed out gameplay.

Are there anything that I'm missing?

thanks!

Keep in mind that a lot of reviews and benchmarks uses high end processors extreme edition processors so results may vary between benchmark to benchmark really all they are trying to get across is how much better card a is better then card b. What FPS are you getting in the games you are playing.

What bad advice. no, dont let windows update drivers, download the proper nvidia drivers and install them. And "superantispyware" should not be trusted, stick with something well known and safe like spybot S&D or malwarebytes. Updating gpu firmware/bios or hdd firmware should not be necessary either.

What motherboard do you have? ram? psu? it may be worth a try to update the bios if its an older board, but will unlikely do anything. I think your fps is probably about right for max settings in bf3. I could test against your system since i have the same setup, but i dont have BF3 hahaha. I could test something like crysis 2, skyrim or dead island for you if you have them, they are the most recent games i have. Just pick a spot you want to test, somewhere easy like somewhere at the start of the game and i could check my fps against yours with the same settings. PM me if you like.

If your using the stock cooler in the i5, beware, they are quite a thin heatsink which i think is not appropriate for that cpu, and they will overheat and throttle back under heavy load or in a poorly ventilated case, or with high ambient temps. Im not sure at what temp they will throttle back though.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

but it seems that the min fps for most gtx 660 ti users on youtube are getting 45+ min fps. Im more worried about the min fps to be honest. (one of the channel have the same cpu and gpu as mine)

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I am actually using a liquid cooler for cpu :) 67 C is the max temp for cpu (hope it is normal).

my motherboard is GA z77x ud3h, ram = 16GB and psu is the Crosair gs 700.

It would be sweet if you can help with testing fps. I have skyrim with the latest update and I'm getting no less than 60 fps but I can't see any higher than that using fraps. some spots drastically reduce my fps down to 40. 1 spot you could try is skyrim beginning, follow the stormcloak guy, once you have killed the imperials and go down the stairs there's going to be some collapsing rocks that generate massive smoke, that's where my fps get jacked.

Also I should mention that, 42 fps min is the "normal" min fps. There are spots where I got lagged up (mostly buy sudden fire/smoke) that stuttered the fps down to 3x. not sure if that's normal but I think I should bring it up. I have the legit version of the game so I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen, but my friend said that new games take some "getting used to".

thank you so much for all of your help guys.

what settings are you using in skyrim with that? default ultra with 1920x1080? high quality texture pack? default nvidia control panel settings? vsync on or off? MY cpu doesnt get to 67c and thats with a hyper tx3 air cooler. sounds wrong for a liquid cooler at stock clocks.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

weird I don't have the hi res pack. not sure about the nivida setting but i know the skyrim launcher setting is maxed out everything.
(I don't see the hi res pack in data for some reason)

oh crap about the cpu temp. I think the cooling is working since the fan is working, I am using this guy:

http://www.corsair.com/en/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-water-cooling-cpu-cooler/hydro-series-h60-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html

I only hooked up this guy to the cpu fan and a system fan header on the motherboard which I think should be sufficient. The fan runs so I assume it is working.

Ok, well i just tested that section of skyrim, when the rock collapse happens in the tunnel my fms drops to 54 for a few seconds and back up again. there were only a couple small hickups during play but fps only dipped slightly for half a second and back up, also when autosave obviously fps dips. was running skyrim default ultra settings, high quality texture pack on, 1080p, default nv control panel with triple buffering and vsyonc forced on. It is pretty much 60fps solid apart from a few small hiccups which is expected, nothing is perfect, maybe loading from hdd or something. I did notice something strange looking at msi afterburner clock speed graph, the clock speed of the gpu actually dropped to 900-ish MHZ a couple times for a split second during gameplay, i have no idea why. The game also uses about 1400-1500mb vram with these settings on, so this game really benefits from 2gb vram.

oh and what gpu did you have previously? remember to uninstall all the old drivers using the uninstall utility before installing the drivers for the new card, even if it was a nvidia card.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I am going to try to get my skyrim patched and make sure my nvidia settings are same as yours , and then ima try again.

this is my first self built computer, so i had no other gpu before this ( i had a laptop).

as far as the cpu goes, do you think it might be the problem with the thermal paste? Im using the ones that came with the radiator.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

hmm, then what does that smell like to you? wrong header to the radiator/fan? I doubt it since the fan is working and if something is wrong with the radiator i should be getting a much higher temp then that.

And I do believe I have mounted it correctly on the chassis. I have heard that you need to really press the sink on the cpu or else it could affect the cooling efficiency.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

o hey so guess what happen, everything went smoothly and i even got 60 fps solid in the tunnel. I don't have the hi-res pack but what i did was changed the nvidia setting to tripple buffering and v sync on. What sorcery is this?

Im going to see if I can change the nvidia setting on bf3 to get better performance.

A smell oh man I have no idea I have a h100 which is the big brother to your cooler. I have never smelled anything ever. And yea I do agree its a good idea to make sure things are sealed nice and tight I would just be careful not to crack anything motherboards cracked are no bueno.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I meant "what do you make out of this" when I said smell haha.

I think I have mounted the sink tight enough tho, I'm still trying to figure out what to do, I might try using the regular heat sink and fan cooler and see what happens. thanks!

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

From 1 of the cpu forum guy told me, the h60 should at least perform better than the stock air cooler that came with my i5 3570k. Guess I will find out when I get home.

TRENDING THREADS