Sign in with
Your question

What to do with a new gpu?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2012 1:00:38 AM

Hi:

I just built my new computer with a gtx 660 ti and i5 3570k.

I tried several games and I'm not getting consistent fps with that of most reviews and benchmarks online.

So I am suspecting there's something I am supposed to do with a new gpu.

I have installed the latest driver, directx 11. My highest temp of the gpu is 69 after 20 minutes of bf3 maxed out gameplay.

Are there anything that I'm missing?

thanks!

More about : gpu

a c 218 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 1:44:10 AM

What are your specs for the rest of the system? What resolution are you gaming at? What graphics settings in the games? What are your CPU temps under load?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 2:03:29 AM

Update windows .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues.
Update bios.
Update hdd/ssd firmware.
Update Gpu firmware .
Full Scan system with "SUPERANTISPYWARE" Freeware.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2012 2:16:24 AM

Sorry for being noobie

I run at 1920x1080.

cpu : i5 3570k
cpu max temp : 67C
gpu max temp : 69 C
game setting : maxed out, ultra everything, v sync off.

thanks for the reply everyone!
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 2:30:14 AM

Keep in mind that a lot of reviews and benchmarks uses high end processors extreme edition processors so results may vary between benchmark to benchmark really all they are trying to get across is how much better card a is better then card b. What FPS are you getting in the games you are playing.
m
l
December 31, 2012 3:17:36 AM

I am getting an average of 60 fps. min fps : 42 . max fps : 80

single player in operation swordbreaker.

the min fps is reached in a retarded fights without a lot of smoke and fire.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 3:38:28 AM

That sounds about right you should be good this is with high settings I presume?
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 4:10:02 AM

hytecgowthaman said:
Update windows .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues.
Update bios.
Update hdd/ssd firmware.
Update Gpu firmware .
Full Scan system with "SUPERANTISPYWARE" Freeware.

What bad advice. no, dont let windows update drivers, download the proper nvidia drivers and install them. And "superantispyware" should not be trusted, stick with something well known and safe like spybot S&D or malwarebytes. Updating gpu firmware/bios or hdd firmware should not be necessary either.

What motherboard do you have? ram? psu? it may be worth a try to update the bios if its an older board, but will unlikely do anything. I think your fps is probably about right for max settings in bf3. I could test against your system since i have the same setup, but i dont have BF3 hahaha. I could test something like crysis 2, skyrim or dead island for you if you have them, they are the most recent games i have. Just pick a spot you want to test, somewhere easy like somewhere at the start of the game and i could check my fps against yours with the same settings. PM me if you like.

If your using the stock cooler in the i5, beware, they are quite a thin heatsink which i think is not appropriate for that cpu, and they will overheat and throttle back under heavy load or in a poorly ventilated case, or with high ambient temps. Im not sure at what temp they will throttle back though.
m
l
December 31, 2012 4:24:39 AM

bigshootr8 said:
That sounds about right you should be good this is with high settings I presume?

but it seems that the min fps for most gtx 660 ti users on youtube are getting 45+ min fps. Im more worried about the min fps to be honest. (one of the channel have the same cpu and gpu as mine)
m
l
December 31, 2012 4:36:33 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
What bad advice. no, dont let windows update drivers, download the proper nvidia drivers and install them. And "superantispyware" should not be trusted, stick with something well known and safe like spybot S&D or malwarebytes. Updating gpu firmware/bios or hdd firmware should not be necessary either.

What motherboard do you have? ram? psu? it may be worth a try to update the bios if its an older board, but will unlikely do anything. I think your fps is probably about right for max settings in bf3. I could test against your system since i have the same setup, but i dont have BF3 hahaha. I could test something like crysis 2, skyrim or dead island for you if you have them, they are the most recent games i have. Just pick a spot you want to test, somewhere easy like somewhere at the start of the game and i could check my fps against yours with the same settings. PM me if you like.

If your using the stock cooler in the i5, beware, they are quite a thin heatsink which i think is not appropriate for that cpu, and they will overheat and throttle back under heavy load or in a poorly ventilated case, or with high ambient temps. Im not sure at what temp they will throttle back though.

I am actually using a liquid cooler for cpu :)  67 C is the max temp for cpu (hope it is normal).

my motherboard is GA z77x ud3h, ram = 16GB and psu is the Crosair gs 700.

It would be sweet if you can help with testing fps. I have skyrim with the latest update and I'm getting no less than 60 fps but I can't see any higher than that using fraps. some spots drastically reduce my fps down to 40. 1 spot you could try is skyrim beginning, follow the stormcloak guy, once you have killed the imperials and go down the stairs there's going to be some collapsing rocks that generate massive smoke, that's where my fps get jacked.

Also I should mention that, 42 fps min is the "normal" min fps. There are spots where I got lagged up (mostly buy sudden fire/smoke) that stuttered the fps down to 3x. not sure if that's normal but I think I should bring it up. I have the legit version of the game so I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen, but my friend said that new games take some "getting used to".

thank you so much for all of your help guys.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 5:15:16 AM

what settings are you using in skyrim with that? default ultra with 1920x1080? high quality texture pack? default nvidia control panel settings? vsync on or off? MY cpu doesnt get to 67c and thats with a hyper tx3 air cooler. sounds wrong for a liquid cooler at stock clocks.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:32:02 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
what settings are you using in skyrim with that? default ultra with 1920x1080? high quality texture pack? default nvidia control panel settings? vsync on or off? MY cpu doesnt get to 67c and thats with a hyper tx3 air cooler. sounds wrong for a liquid cooler at stock clocks.

weird I don't have the hi res pack. not sure about the nivida setting but i know the skyrim launcher setting is maxed out everything.
(I don't see the hi res pack in data for some reason)

oh crap about the cpu temp. I think the cooling is working since the fan is working, I am using this guy:

http://www.corsair.com/en/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series...

I only hooked up this guy to the cpu fan and a system fan header on the motherboard which I think should be sufficient. The fan runs so I assume it is working.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 6:31:30 AM

Ok, well i just tested that section of skyrim, when the rock collapse happens in the tunnel my fms drops to 54 for a few seconds and back up again. there were only a couple small hickups during play but fps only dipped slightly for half a second and back up, also when autosave obviously fps dips. was running skyrim default ultra settings, high quality texture pack on, 1080p, default nv control panel with triple buffering and vsyonc forced on. It is pretty much 60fps solid apart from a few small hiccups which is expected, nothing is perfect, maybe loading from hdd or something. I did notice something strange looking at msi afterburner clock speed graph, the clock speed of the gpu actually dropped to 900-ish MHZ a couple times for a split second during gameplay, i have no idea why. The game also uses about 1400-1500mb vram with these settings on, so this game really benefits from 2gb vram.

oh and what gpu did you have previously? remember to uninstall all the old drivers using the uninstall utility before installing the drivers for the new card, even if it was a nvidia card.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:36:01 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
Ok, well i just tested that section of skyrim, when the rock collapse happens in the tunnel my fms drops to 54 for a few seconds and back up again. there were only a couple small hickups during play but fps only dipped slightly for half a second and back up, also when autosave obviously fps dips. was running skyrim default ultra settings, high quality texture pack on, 1080p, default nv control panel with triple buffering and vsyonc forced on. It is pretty much 60fps solid apart from a few small hiccups which is expected, nothing is perfect, maybe loading from hdd or something. I did notice something strange looking at msi afterburner clock speed graph, the clock speed of the gpu actually dropped to 900-ish MHZ a couple times for a split second during gameplay, i have no idea why. The game also uses about 1400-1500mb vram with these settings on, so this game really benefits from 2gb vram.

oh and what gpu did you have previously? remember to uninstall all the old drivers using the uninstall utility before installing the drivers for the new card, even if it was a nvidia card.

I am going to try to get my skyrim patched and make sure my nvidia settings are same as yours , and then ima try again.

this is my first self built computer, so i had no other gpu before this ( i had a laptop).

as far as the cpu goes, do you think it might be the problem with the thermal paste? Im using the ones that came with the radiator.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 6:48:50 AM

I would say you are fine with the thermal paste that they supply its a good amount and its evenly spread along the heatsink. It's not like the cheap stuff they put on a Stock cooler.
m
l
December 31, 2012 7:00:41 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I would say you are fine with the thermal paste that they supply its a good amount and its evenly spread along the heatsink. It's not like the cheap stuff they put on a Stock cooler.

hmm, then what does that smell like to you? wrong header to the radiator/fan? I doubt it since the fan is working and if something is wrong with the radiator i should be getting a much higher temp then that.

And I do believe I have mounted it correctly on the chassis. I have heard that you need to really press the sink on the cpu or else it could affect the cooling efficiency.
m
l
December 31, 2012 7:02:17 AM

iam2thecrowe said:

o hey so guess what happen, everything went smoothly and i even got 60 fps solid in the tunnel. I don't have the hi-res pack but what i did was changed the nvidia setting to tripple buffering and v sync on. What sorcery is this?

Im going to see if I can change the nvidia setting on bf3 to get better performance.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 7:04:23 AM

hihiip201 said:
hmm, then what does that smell like to you? wrong header to the radiator/fan? I doubt it since the fan is working and if something is wrong with the radiator i should be getting a much higher temp then that.

And I do believe I have mounted it correctly on the chassis. I have heard that you need to really press the sink on the cpu or else it could affect the cooling efficiency.

A smell oh man I have no idea I have a h100 which is the big brother to your cooler. I have never smelled anything ever. And yea I do agree its a good idea to make sure things are sealed nice and tight I would just be careful not to crack anything motherboards cracked are no bueno.
m
l
December 31, 2012 1:30:56 PM

bigshootr8 said:
A smell oh man I have no idea I have a h100 which is the big brother to your cooler. I have never smelled anything ever. And yea I do agree its a good idea to make sure things are sealed nice and tight I would just be careful not to crack anything motherboards cracked are no bueno.

I meant "what do you make out of this" when I said smell haha.

I think I have mounted the sink tight enough tho, I'm still trying to figure out what to do, I might try using the regular heat sink and fan cooler and see what happens. thanks!
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 7:42:13 PM

Well ivy bridge cpu's do run a little hotter so I would say you are doing just fine with a max cpu temp in the 60's. I have mine overclocked to 4.2 and I get around there. The h60 isn't a amazing cooler but it gets the job done.
m
l
December 31, 2012 8:00:52 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Well ivy bridge cpu's do run a little hotter so I would say you are doing just fine with a max cpu temp in the 60's. I have mine overclocked to 4.2 and I get around there. The h60 isn't a amazing cooler but it gets the job done.

From 1 of the cpu forum guy told me, the h60 should at least perform better than the stock air cooler that came with my i5 3570k. Guess I will find out when I get home.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 8:04:51 PM

No it will it will perform better then stock most certainly hands down.
m
l
December 31, 2012 9:22:04 PM

Also is it normal for gpu to reach 70C under load?
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 9:35:01 PM

hihiip201 said:
Also is it normal for gpu to reach 70C under load?

Yes, this is normal. Also, there are no CPU "drivers", per se.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 9:38:20 PM

Yup no cpu drivers. and 70 is agreed a decent temp under load for most gpu's
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:22:32 AM

Phew, I was worry my gpu is being a hothead too. thanks guys!
m
l
January 1, 2013 5:23:25 AM

anyone who has battlefield 3 with the same card (2gb). I would really appreciate it if you guys can try running operation swordbreaker, parking lot fight and try walking up the smoke and fire on the rpg=blown car.

I am getting fps as low as 37 when I walk up those smoke.
m
l
January 1, 2013 7:20:49 AM

according to this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/12/10/zo...

my fps is way too low

mine is not the zotac but the regular 660 ti. I run on 1920x 1080 but the min fps in this benchmark is 54. I understand cpu may also be bottleneck, I use the i5 3570 which I believe should not have a difference of almost 20 fps.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 3:30:34 PM

It's an overclocked version of the 660 ti. Also, the test setup may deffer from what you are currently using. The review's test setup has a 2500k overclocked at 4.2
m
l
January 1, 2013 4:08:28 PM

bigshootr8 said:
It's an overclocked version of the 660 ti. Also, the test setup may deffer from what you are currently using. The review's test setup has a 2500k overclocked at 4.2

well mine is the regualr 660 ti(2 below the zotac 660 ti) and my fps is lower than that.
m
l
January 1, 2013 10:59:40 PM

bigshootr8 said:

oh! does cpu bottleneck affect the fps when you encounter massive smoke/fire?

im gonna oc my cpu to see if it improves.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 11:45:32 PM

When looking at benchmarks, you have to consider the complete system. Yours is different than the ones you are comparing it to.

Yes, a bottleneck during a computationally challenging time like when you "encounter massive smoke/fire", could bog down the system.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 9:01:12 AM

Right but unless you are truly watching the frames you probably don't notice lag if its dropping to 40 FPS.
m
l
January 3, 2013 6:13:59 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Right but unless you are truly watching the frames you probably don't notice lag if its dropping to 40 FPS.

ya maybe it's true . I mean when I'm not looking at the fps the gameplay is actually completely playable and I really don't see any lags.

The problem is that, I am paranoid, not to mention that most benchmark I seen on youtube/website have a higher min fps then mine. I just reached a min fps that is as low as 19 in one of my benchmarking after 30 minutes of gameplay. so I really worry that my gpu maybe defected.

Given that all my component parts are brand new, the odds that any of them are defected are probably pretty low, so I would like to ask what is the best OCing software out there that I can try OCing my i5 3570k with since I think it is the cpu bottlenecking problem.

Also, from this :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274255-29-best-overcl...

It would seems that even for the same card, different CPU can change the in game fps pretty drastically. say my i5 3570k @ 3.4 ghz (turbo 3.8) is bottlenecking, if I OC it all the way to 4.0 Ghz. How much more increase in fps should I be expecting?
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 6:20:19 AM

I would look at it like this the 660Ti is a excellent card for being able to handle the higher settings however you won't see crazy frames from doing so with today's games. Benchmarks are really unreliable I'll show you a perfect example. Check out the minimum of this benchmark of Arkham City this is with Physx on high as well. This on a 670 and completely playable so that low drop as a minimum is as low as it will hit. Games today are more GPU dependent so I don't think you will gain a whole lot from going with a higher CPU clock however it can help every little does.

m
l
January 3, 2013 3:02:11 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I would look at it like this the 660Ti is a excellent card for being able to handle the higher settings however you won't see crazy frames from doing so with today's games. Benchmarks are really unreliable I'll show you a perfect example. Check out the minimum of this benchmark of Arkham City this is with Physx on high as well. This on a 670 and completely playable so that low drop as a minimum is as low as it will hit. Games today are more GPU dependent so I don't think you will gain a whole lot from going with a higher CPU clock however it can help every little does.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/BatmanAC2012-10-1517-56-33-91_zps99b41277.png
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/10-15-20125-53-00PM_zps8365fc91.png
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/10-15-20125-52-42PM_zpsfd894af9.png

Whenever i have problem with low fps is usually with massive smoke area + more smoke from tanks and jets. And I was told that that can be caused by cpu bottlenecking.

Or is it that even a good gpu with good cpu can encounter such problem when walking up to smoke? and the benchmarks with good" fps merely did not experience those cases or else would have drastically lower their fps as well?
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 5:32:37 PM

I'm not sure different area of games can tax different areas of hardware but really at this point CPU's are typically especially in your case pretty over the top in gaming. I think even with a good card you can run into drops.
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:49:47 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I'm not sure different area of games can tax different areas of hardware but really at this point CPU's are typically especially in your case pretty over the top in gaming. I think even with a good card you can run into drops.

well, i just notice that whenever explosions and smoke happens fps drops. like I said I am suspecting this is a normal drop for ANY rigs. and I assume most benchmarking only run for 2-3 minutes so they don't usually encounter that kind of drop.

I guess I just need to stop being paranoid, if it runs, it should be good.
m
l
January 3, 2013 6:04:44 PM

After building my new system, I'm convinced that CPU power is more of a factor in games than people give it credit for. I upgraded from an older Core2Duo at stock and there was about a week before my 7970 arrived. While I waited, I used my old 6750 gpu and the performance of the new system in games was far better. I really didn't expect to see as much of a difference without the new graphics card.

Then a few weeks later I decided to OC my 3570k to 4.2ghz (pretty mild OC) and there was a noticeable difference in going from stock speeds. I do play some games that are more CPU intensive, but everything felt smoother. I'd definitely give it a shot, especially considering you have water cooling.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 6:46:48 PM

Well when you take a Core 2 Duo into the equation yes you are talking about a 4 year old processor course its not up to snub. I'm not saying that processors don't have a play in performance I'm just saying the draw in games is more noticeable from the graphic end of things as there isn't really a game out there that is heavy on processing power other than probably mmo's like WoW. Anything 4 years+ old now will definitely show now.
m
l
January 3, 2013 11:36:33 PM

I've just discovered that one the utilities accompany my motherboard driver DVD is a overclocking software. I shall OC my 3570k to 4.0 ghz and the truth shall be revealed.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 11:41:47 PM

go for it you can also go into your bios and do that.
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:42:08 AM

bigshootr8 said:
go for it you can also go into your bios and do that.

crap....so I was changing the BCLK thingy and my comp frozen, and I was forced to reboot it lol.

now the problem is that after reboot, the multiplier of my cpu would go up to 41 and it has 4.3 ghz . How can undo this?

m
l
January 4, 2013 1:19:06 AM

ok I think I just fixed it by selecting "default" on the easytune5 menu. But I wonder if those freezes have permenately damage my cpu...
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 1:21:02 AM

Reset your BIOS to default (with jumper or by pulling mobo battery). Before doing either, power the system down and disconnect all power sources. Press the power button to discharge any residual power. Then use the reset jumper or pull the battery.

Wait 30 secs and reverse the order to power the rig back up. Your BIOS should be back in its original default state.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 1:42:48 AM

Chances are with his z77 board he has a reset bios button or switch somewhere. I don't see to many instances where you need to do the jumper remove battery deal.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 2:50:46 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Chances are with his z77 board he has a reset bios button or switch somewhere. I don't see to many instances where you need to do the jumper remove battery deal.

True, the procedure to reset only varies by pushing the button. Good catch.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:15:39 AM

where is this jumper/reset button on my motherboard?

Also, is it possible for me to have damaged my cpu permantely?
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:17:31 AM

another update. I have sort of gave up my gpu deal, im just going to have it checked at where i bought it as even ocing my cpu to 4.3 ghz i still encounter some smoke that makes it unplayable. Turrent on jeep back + massive smoke is not a good combination.

Im thinking 660 ti is not a SUPERawesome card that can handle bf3 flawlessly.
m
l
!