Sign in with
Your question

6970 Crossfire Bottleneck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2012 1:11:31 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have 2 6970 in Crossfire X and I am concerned about their performance. I only see their usages go 50%-75% in games such as Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2. I am currently thinking that my 1090t (stock) is holding them back, but in games the CPU usage is very low on each core. I find that with CF enabled in Far Cry 3 The FPS are only slightly better, but when doing things such a driving it is very choppy and goes to around 30FPS. When I use one 6970 (Using Very High Detail Settings) I find that the fps is around 45 constantly and the GPU usage is 99%. When playing Crysis 2 (1.9 with Extreme Settings) with CF enabled the FPS is usually 60fps constant but dips to as low as 46 in very intensive situations, with CF disabled in the game the results are actually about the same. So I was wondering what I could do to fix this, is it my Processor? Is it the Games?

I wonder because even when a game dips down to 45fps the cards do not use more to keep it at 60fps.

I am on CCC 12.10.

System

AMD 1090t BE 3.2 (Stock)
H50 Cooling
8GB Kingston Ram
ASUS CROSSHAIR 4 Formula
ASUS 6970 DCII (CARD1)
VisionTek 6970 (CARD2)
HX1050
400R

Any thoughts on what I could do to get 99% Usage on both cards would be great. But mainly IS THE CPU BOTTLENECKING THE 6970s???

-Bender
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 1:25:54 AM

cpu bottleneck, get an intel i5 or i7. Crossfire in FC3 is buggy. Will probably need a game patch and a driver patch.
m
l
October 8, 2013 1:47:12 PM

DoctorBender said:
Hello Everyone,

I have 2 6970 in Crossfire X and I am concerned about their performance. I only see their usages go 50%-75% in games such as Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2. I am currently thinking that my 1090t (stock) is holding them back, but in games the CPU usage is very low on each core. I find that with CF enabled in Far Cry 3 The FPS are only slightly better, but when doing things such a driving it is very choppy and goes to around 30FPS. When I use one 6970 (Using Very High Detail Settings) I find that the fps is around 45 constantly and the GPU usage is 99%. When playing Crysis 2 (1.9 with Extreme Settings) with CF enabled the FPS is usually 60fps constant but dips to as low as 46 in very intensive situations, with CF disabled in the game the results are actually about the same. So I was wondering what I could do to fix this, is it my Processor? Is it the Games?

I wonder because even when a game dips down to 45fps the cards do not use more to keep it at 60fps.

I am on CCC 12.10.

System

AMD 1090t BE 3.2 (Stock)
H50 Cooling
8GB Kingston Ram
ASUS CROSSHAIR 4 Formula
ASUS 6970 DCII (CARD1)
VisionTek 6970 (CARD2)
HX1050
400R

Any thoughts on what I could do to get 99% Usage on both cards would be great. But mainly IS THE CPU BOTTLENECKING THE 6970s???

-Bender

Unistall the generic drivers, when u installed the cards the win7 pre installed drivers kicked in they support the cards but not in cf, best before doing it over is to prevent win7 from installing the generic drivers......"Win+R" then "gpedit.msc" after that go to "Computerkonfiguration" -> "System" -> "device installation" -> "limitations for device instalation" set it to active and in the same window "administrators the disabeling of ruels....." finished (sorry i hope you'll get it done i had to translate this)
Now unistall both of the grafic cards in the device manager then unistall all amd drivers and ccc now restart and go to safe mode then again clean yor pc from all AMD drivers unseing "driver sweeper".
reboot install the latest amd driver + the cf profil...... go back and enable the auto detect for driver installation if not all automated driver installs will fail !

m
l
!