Jimmy S. I beseech U 2 hear my plea

Did SP2 kill my games ??
I have read the some of the MS articles on SP2 & proggies, but they focused
on ports & online matters, well online is not my issue, just getting the
buggers to work is the issue i have

My current XPcr8 has had no probs with ANY of my game titles, Then along
came SP2. Now none of my MechWarrior, Bioware D&D titles will not run (splash
screen then BSOD or just plain old input hangup (trackball/keyboard)). Even
my low requirement titles like Aliens vrs Predator gold & MechCommander are
now phutzd. BUT I can play D00M3, (even tho my XPcr8 is a AMD duron 1.2ghz,
my framerates are equal to what i got when AvPgold worked lol ) Dawn of War,
BlackHawk Down, Starcraft, & IronStorm. I have listed these titles to point
out the various hardware requirements needed to put to rest the concern of an
impotent cr8, after all, if I can handle D00M3, then I should have ZERO
problems running older titles on this cr8.

So I can only conclude that it is SP2 that phutzd me, but it appears that i
am the only person this happened to, I have yet to hear about this elsewhere.
So I had a g33k re-partition my drive and did the re-install/update/patch
dance, including SP1 & SP2 from a 'slipstream' disc I believe he called it.
During this time I purchased a new dell flatscreen ( I 4get the model# ) So
I get everything back and start to install all my games again. Same titles
dont work/ Same titles do work. This morning I swapped my dell monitor with a
buds 17'' futura (Likom D703X) to rule-out the 'auto-adjusting' that the dell
does as the cause of my games hanging up.
( yes i have tried lowering the rez, no change, but this rez was fine b4 SP2 )
They still dont work.
So I humbly ask you for any insights that I may have overlooked.
need more info..plz say so... I have that Everest chumpy for any stats you
may need 4 my cr8

Thanxz 4 the eye-ball time
9 answers Last reply
More about jimmy beseech hear plea

    This information may help you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw Some
    programs behave differently under Windows XP SP2, some require updates from
    the software companies, and some may even require reinstalling. Check the
    information. I think it will help you.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "4SNG Respawnz" <4SNGRespawnz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Did SP2 kill my games ??
    > I have read the some of the MS articles on SP2 & proggies, but they
    > focused
    > on ports & online matters, well online is not my issue, just getting the
    > buggers to work is the issue i have
    >
    > My current XPcr8 has had no probs with ANY of my game titles, Then along
    > came SP2. Now none of my MechWarrior, Bioware D&D titles will not run
    > (splash
    > screen then BSOD or just plain old input hangup (trackball/keyboard)).
    > Even
    > my low requirement titles like Aliens vrs Predator gold & MechCommander
    > are
    > now phutzd. BUT I can play D00M3, (even tho my XPcr8 is a AMD duron
    > 1.2ghz,
    > my framerates are equal to what i got when AvPgold worked lol ) Dawn of
    > War,
    > BlackHawk Down, Starcraft, & IronStorm. I have listed these titles to
    > point
    > out the various hardware requirements needed to put to rest the concern of
    > an
    > impotent cr8, after all, if I can handle D00M3, then I should have ZERO
    > problems running older titles on this cr8.
    >
    > So I can only conclude that it is SP2 that phutzd me, but it appears that
    > am the only person this happened to, I have yet to hear about this
    > elsewhere.
    > So I had a g33k re-partition my drive and did the re-install/update/patch
    > dance, including SP1 & SP2 from a 'slipstream' disc I believe he called
    > it.
    > During this time I purchased a new dell flatscreen ( I 4get the model# )
    > So
    > I get everything back and start to install all my games again. Same titles
    > dont work/ Same titles do work. This morning I swapped my dell monitor
    > with a
    > buds 17'' futura (Likom D703X) to rule-out the 'auto-adjusting' that the
    > dell
    > does as the cause of my games hanging up.
    > ( yes i have tried lowering the rez, no change, but this rez was fine b4
    > SP2 )
    > They still dont work.
    > So I humbly ask you for any insights that I may have overlooked.
    > need more info..plz say so... I have that Everest chumpy for any stats you
    > may need 4 my cr8
    >
    > Thanxz 4 the eye-ball time

    I thank you for your help with that link, but it seemed to deal with new
    features and such, not much on resolving software issues. I have yet to
    hear of any game title that had a patch made just for the pandora's box known
    as SP2 ( but I will check on that) And when I look at the range of titles &
    publishers of my games, I am under the impression that if any 3 of the major
    publishers had to issue patches for thier 'library' of titles to alleviate
    the pains of SP2 --it would be HeadLine news in print and elsewhere. But my
    titles surpass 3 publishers
    I have read that some ppl have un-installed SP2 to get thier cr8s stable
    again, but that is not an option since BillyG has dictated by fiat that all
    end-users must have SP2 installed for continued support. So if I want
    support I have to keep SP2, But if I keep SP2 I cant play all of my games.
    How about BillyG re-imbursing me for my titles lol
    sorry I feel myself turning into a troll again thanxz 4 your help
    but my problem remains
    "Chris H." wrote:

    > This information may help you:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw Some
    > programs behave differently under Windows XP SP2, some require updates from
    > the software companies, and some may even require reinstalling. Check the
    > information. I think it will help you.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "4SNG Respawnz" <4SNGRespawnz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Did SP2 kill my games ??
    > > I have read the some of the MS articles on SP2 & proggies, but they
    > > focused
    > > on ports & online matters, well online is not my issue, just getting the
    > > buggers to work is the issue i have
    > >
    > > My current XPcr8 has had no probs with ANY of my game titles, Then along
    > > came SP2. Now none of my MechWarrior, Bioware D&D titles will not run
    > > (splash
    > > screen then BSOD or just plain old input hangup (trackball/keyboard)).
    > > Even
    > > my low requirement titles like Aliens vrs Predator gold & MechCommander
    > > are
    > > now phutzd. BUT I can play D00M3, (even tho my XPcr8 is a AMD duron
    > > 1.2ghz,
    > > my framerates are equal to what i got when AvPgold worked lol ) Dawn of
    > > War,
    > > BlackHawk Down, Starcraft, & IronStorm. I have listed these titles to
    > > point
    > > out the various hardware requirements needed to put to rest the concern of
    > > an
    > > impotent cr8, after all, if I can handle D00M3, then I should have ZERO
    > > problems running older titles on this cr8.
    > >
    > > So I can only conclude that it is SP2 that phutzd me, but it appears that
    > > am the only person this happened to, I have yet to hear about this
    > > elsewhere.
    > > So I had a g33k re-partition my drive and did the re-install/update/patch
    > > dance, including SP1 & SP2 from a 'slipstream' disc I believe he called
    > > it.
    > > During this time I purchased a new dell flatscreen ( I 4get the model# )
    > > So
    > > I get everything back and start to install all my games again. Same titles
    > > dont work/ Same titles do work. This morning I swapped my dell monitor
    > > with a
    > > buds 17'' futura (Likom D703X) to rule-out the 'auto-adjusting' that the
    > > dell
    > > does as the cause of my games hanging up.
    > > ( yes i have tried lowering the rez, no change, but this rez was fine b4
    > > SP2 )
    > > They still dont work.
    > > So I humbly ask you for any insights that I may have overlooked.
    > > need more info..plz say so... I have that Everest chumpy for any stats you
    > > may need 4 my cr8
    > >
    > > Thanxz 4 the eye-ball time

    Okay, examine your issue for a moment. You say all your games now won't
    run. So what is a common denominator of this? Graphics and sound drivers?
    Perhaps a BIOS update from your motherboard manufacturer? Don't just
    "think" you would have heard about something. Check things out. Do you
    have this update: http://www.microsoft.com/games/pandorasbox/downloads.htm

    Start with the basics of what enables your system to run those games. Have
    you looked in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer and clicked on
    both Application and System in the left pane? Checked for errors in the
    right pane?

    Search out new or updated drivers, and if there aren't any try booting into
    Safe Mode and reinstalling the existing drivers. XP SP2 changed a lot of
    things, especially in the Registry, and if every one of your games no longer
    plays it would indicate something amiss in common to all those games.
    --

> [...]
    >> > During this time I purchased a new dell flatscreen ( I 4get the
    >> > model# )
    >> > So
    >> > I get everything back and start to install all my games again. Same
    >> > titles
    >> > dont work/ Same titles do work. This morning I swapped my dell monitor
    >> > with a
    >> > buds 17'' futura (Likom D703X) to rule-out the 'auto-adjusting' that
    >> > the
    >> > dell
    >> > does as the cause of my games hanging up.
    >> > ( yes i have tried lowering the rez, no change, but this rez was fine
    >> > b4
    >> > SP2 )
    >> > They still dont work.
    >> > So I humbly ask you for any insights that I may have overlooked.
    >> > need more info..plz say so... I have that Everest chumpy for any stats

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    NO I did NOT say all my games do not work. PLZ read again- slowly, but I
    will try to clarify this mis-understanding
    ALL my games worked fine
    I install SP2
    Then several titles FAIL to start ( commenced the re-install/update/patch
    dance to no avail) While other games still did work.
    Had the geek re-format/re-partition/re-install WinXP Home edition, SP1, & SP2
    Now this is where the mis-understanding must have occurred:
    The SAME games that didn't work, Still dont work
    The SAME games that DID work, thank GOD still do
    Now again I say " I would think I would have heard something about major
    game publishers having to issue patches for thier library of titles"
    Something tells me I need to name the titles in each group ie: those that
    still work, and those that have yet to work since SP2 was installed

    So that kinda makes the first paragraph a discussion about anything but
    insight.
    And not all of us are clueless sheep
    I used Everest to get all the info I need for driver updates & such, in
    fact the driver update MS supplies for my Nvidia is older than the one I got
    from Nvidia last year, at least thats what the version number implies.
    I have been married to billyG since DOS6.22 I have swapped every component
    (cept mobos) over the 5 PCs that I have owned.
    I do thank you for the link to the appropriately named 'pandoras box' will
    check it out

    Thank you for your promptness

    "Chris H." wrote:

> [...]
    > > titles surpass 3 publishers
    > > I have read that some ppl have un-installed SP2 to get thier cr8s stable
    > > again, but that is not an option since BillyG has dictated by fiat that
    > > all
    > > end-users must have SP2 installed for continued support. So if I want
    > > support I have to keep SP2, But if I keep SP2 I cant play all of my
    > > games.
    > > How about BillyG re-imbursing me for my titles lol
    > > sorry I feel myself turning into a troll again thanxz 4 your help
    > > but my problem remains
    > > "Chris H." wrote:
    > >
    > >> This information may help you:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw Some
    > >> programs behave differently under Windows XP SP2, some require updates
    > >> from
    > >> the software companies, and some may even require reinstalling. Check

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    After going to that pandora site I noticed that it was for Intel, Yep I
    screwed up
    here are
    Fast Stats of my cr8:
    MoBo: Biostar M7VKD
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
    Proc: AMD Duron 1.2 Duron Alias: Morgan
    640mb of Ram: (2) 256 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @133mhz 3.0-3-3-6
    (1) 128 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @100mhz 2.0-2-25
    Video Adapter: nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (MSI G4Ti4200)
    Vid driver : 61.77_win2kxp_english
    DirectX:ver 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

    I even know what some of that means lol
    Hope this can help with future replies/links
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Now you're getting somewhere. For instance, the most recent Nvidia driver
    for your graphics card is 71.89, available from www.nvidia.com under the
    downloads section. Your motherboard chipset has an update released by
    Biostar on March 16, 2005, down at the bottom:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/chipset.php3?id=Chipset%20Driver
    They are free downloads. Both of those updates are since XP SP2 came out.
    Make sure to check the instructions on each site before installing.
    --

    > After going to that pandora site I noticed that it was for Intel, Yep
    > screwed up
    > here are
    > Fast Stats of my cr8:
    > MoBo: Biostar M7VKD
    > Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
    > Proc: AMD Duron 1.2 Duron Alias: Morgan
    > 640mb of Ram: (2) 256 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @133mhz 3.0-3-3-6
    > (1) 128 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @100mhz 2.0-2-25
    > Video Adapter: nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (MSI G4Ti4200)
    > Vid driver : 61.77_win2kxp_english
    > DirectX:ver 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    >
    > I even know what some of that means lol
    > Hope this can help with future replies/links

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Respawnz,

    Here's a couple of suggestions based on those specs:

    1. Remove the mismatched extra 128MB of ram
    1. ...if you still have problems with some games try
    another version of the nVidia driver. I'm using the
    6.14 driver from 02/08/2004 and it's working fine.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games

    "4SNG Respawnz" <4SNGRespawnz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5311D47E-F2FB-479C-91FA-C5AD2754CB70@microsoft.com...
    | After going to that pandora site I noticed that it was for Intel, Yep I
    | screwed up
    | here are
    | Fast Stats of my cr8:
    | MoBo: Biostar M7VKD
    | Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
    | Proc: AMD Duron 1.2 Duron Alias: Morgan
    | 640mb of Ram: (2) 256 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @133mhz 3.0-3-3-6
    | (1) 128 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @100mhz 2.0-2-25
    | Video Adapter: nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (MSI G4Ti4200)
    | Vid driver : 61.77_win2kxp_english
    | DirectX:ver 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    |
    | I even know what some of that means lol
    | Hope this can help with future replies/links

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    My thanxz My Thanxz My thanxz !! never thought about the mis-matched ram

    But I have already resolved my prob.
    All this talk about the latest this and the latest that, made me point out
    that my vid driver was newer than the 'official' one on the MSupdate site.
    SO I D/Ld the older version. After updating & rolling back both drivers, I
    must deny 1 of my long held beliefs: WHQL is just some corporate shenanigans
    to direct traffic to buddies.

    Well I now am a BELIEVER in making sure that ALL my drivers have been
    digitally signed. Thanks to using the older (yet signed) nvidia driver I can
    finally play all the titles I've been jonesing to play for about 7 months.
    Remember gamer budz: there is a reason WHY microsoft wont digitally
    sign certain things.

    Again I must thank you both
    and I must apologise for letting my troll out of his cave

    With all kinds of sincerity
    -4SNG Respawnz

    Now off to post another '?' but at least it wont be a solution seeking
    post

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Respawnz,
    >
    > Here's a couple of suggestions based on those specs:
    >
    > 1. Remove the mismatched extra 128MB of ram
    > 1. ...if you still have problems with some games try
    > another version of the nVidia driver. I'm using the
    > 6.14 driver from 02/08/2004 and it's working fine.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >

    > "4SNG Respawnz" <4SNGRespawnz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5311D47E-F2FB-479C-91FA-C5AD2754CB70@microsoft.com...
    > | After going to that pandora site I noticed that it was for Intel, Yep I
    > | screwed up
    > | here are
    > | Fast Stats of my cr8:
    > | MoBo: Biostar M7VKD
    > | Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
    > | Proc: AMD Duron 1.2 Duron Alias: Morgan
    > | 640mb of Ram: (2) 256 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @133mhz 3.0-3-3-6
    > | (1) 128 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @100mhz 2.0-2-25
    > | Video Adapter: nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (MSI G4Ti4200)
    > | Vid driver : 61.77_win2kxp_english
    > | DirectX:ver 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    > |
    > | I even know what some of that means lol
    > | Hope this can help with future replies/links

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Our Pleasure. Glad that worked our for you! :-)
    Now, let's see what your other question is about ...

    --

    "4SNG Respawnz" <4SNGRespawnz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CACBDE6-684D-4B22-B0FD-291E101C34C5@microsoft.com...
    | My thanxz My Thanxz My thanxz !! never thought about the mis-matched ram
    |
    | But I have already resolved my prob.
    | All this talk about the latest this and the latest that, made me point out
    | that my vid driver was newer than the 'official' one on the MSupdate site.
    | SO I D/Ld the older version. After updating & rolling back both drivers, I
    | must deny 1 of my long held beliefs: WHQL is just some corporate shenanigans
    | to direct traffic to buddies.
    |
    | Well I now am a BELIEVER in making sure that ALL my drivers have been
    | digitally signed. Thanks to using the older (yet signed) nvidia driver I can
    | finally play all the titles I've been jonesing to play for about 7 months.
    | Remember gamer budz: there is a reason WHY microsoft wont digitally
    | sign certain things.
    |
    | Again I must thank you both
    | and I must apologise for letting my troll out of his cave
    |
    | With all kinds of sincerity
    | -4SNG Respawnz
    |
    | Now off to post another '?' but at least it wont be a solution seeking
    | post
    |
    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Respawnz,
    | >
    | > Here's a couple of suggestions based on those specs:
    | >
    | > 1. Remove the mismatched extra 128MB of ram
    | > 1. ...if you still have problems with some games try
    | > another version of the nVidia driver. I'm using the
    | > 6.14 driver from 02/08/2004 and it's working fine.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >

    | > "4SNG Respawnz" <4SNGRespawnz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | After going to that pandora site I noticed that it was for Intel, Yep I
    | > | screwed up
    | > | here are
    | > | Fast Stats of my cr8:
    | > | MoBo: Biostar M7VKD
    | > | Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
    | > | Proc: AMD Duron 1.2 Duron Alias: Morgan
    | > | 640mb of Ram: (2) 256 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @133mhz 3.0-3-3-6
    | > | (1) 128 PC133 SDRAM mem timing @100mhz 2.0-2-25
    | > | Video Adapter: nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (MSI G4Ti4200)
    | > | Vid driver : 61.77_win2kxp_english
    | > | DirectX:ver 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    | > |
    | > | I even know what some of that means lol
    | > | Hope this can help with future replies/links
    | > |

Games Windows XP