Is this a decent system?

Obsidianblood

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I'm looking to buy a new pc for gaming and don't have a whole lot of money to spend. I don't need the best of the best, I just want something that will play games well.
I went down to my local pc store to see what they were offering and the guy gave me two sheets of paper with the specs for two systems on them.

This one is priced at 993 after taxes:
-AMD 8120 8 Core 1TB 8GB RAM HD 7770
-AMD Bulldoxer FX-8120 8 Core Processor 3
-Seagate Barracua 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA
-Gigabyte Radeon hd 7770 oc 1050MHZ 1GB 4
-Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB 2
-Antec Basiq BP500U 500W ATX12V Power Sup
-Corsair Carbide Series200r Black Gaming
-ASUS DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD BU
-Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G mATX AM3+ 1P
-Windows 8 64bit

This one is 1306 after taxes:
--Corsair Carbide Series300r Black Gaming
-Asus motherboard P8B75-M CSM 1-PCIE 16x
-Intel CPU Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz 6MB LGA11
-Western digital caviar black 1TB SATA3 6
-Asus GTX650-DC-1GD5 GTX650 1GB DDR5 PCI
-LITEON 24X24 DRD RW Sata Black
-Corsair Professional HX650W 650W ATX 12V
-Windows 8 64bit
-Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory

Are either of these going to cut it?

Of the two, neither are really that optimized for gaming (or anything in general, 32GB of RAM for a 3570k?). Both have fairly low end graphics cards.

Of the two, would go for the Intel build then slap your own, more powerful GPU in there. It has the better components and is more upgradable than the AMD build.

Though TBH, you would be better off building your own. Would be cheaper, you get what you want and not at a ridiculous price.

Obsidianblood

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks for the response.

What would you suggest for a GPU? I might be able to get them to switch it out.

As for building my own, I don't know the first thing about how to do it or what components I would need. I'd be afraid of buying something and then it not working!

Which one would depend on your budget. For a rig like that, I would say a 7950 or 7970, which would be $300 or $400 respectively.

Its not hard to build your own system, as long as you do adequate research you should be fine on everything being compatible.
Plus, you always have the community here to run their eye over it.

If you would like my recommendation on a gaming rig, just fill out this form. It will give me the information needed to best recommend a system.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

There are videos on youtube to show you how to physically build it.

If you get a component that is dead, you send it back. If you get one that is incompatible, that would be your fault. It is great that you ask the question so you don't buy the wrong thing. Here is a good link for that http://pcpartpicker.com/ They let you set your area so they price for that area. They also check the compatibility (won't let you put an amd motherboard with an intel cpu)

Check out the price for building it and then you can post it here and ask questions.