  • Games
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 8, 2005 4:13:01 AM

Have not been able to get Filght Sim Celebration of Flight to accept Joy
Stick setting. In Properties forces are correct. When Flight Sim starts
forces go to LOW or mushy. Have tried resetting forces in both Side Winder
Properties as well as in Joy Stick setting within Flight Sim and still get
Low or Mush stick. Can anyove help?
Thanks,
M Marcks
machthree@hotmail.com

More about : side winder force feedback settings

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 11:01:45 AM

See if this Knowledge Base article on troubleshooting joystick problems will
help you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315926
It is quite lengthy and very thorough.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"machthree@hotmail.com" <machthree@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:02293014-CD38-4941-8A32-578E66EC3425@microsoft.com...
> Have not been able to get Filght Sim Celebration of Flight to accept Joy
> Stick setting. In Properties forces are correct. When Flight Sim starts
> forces go to LOW or mushy. Have tried resetting forces in both Side
> Winder
> Properties as well as in Joy Stick setting within Flight Sim and still get
> Low or Mush stick. Can anyove help?
> Thanks,
> M Marcks
> machthree@hotmail.com
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:17:06 PM

There is a value that Dinput writes in the registry that keeps track of
how hard the forces should be applied to a device. The range of values it
takes is from 0 to 10000. If the driver has told Dinput to set the force
level at the default (10000) then the registry key is deleted. This is why
the key might not exist on your system. You can try monitoring this key and
see if the game is setting it to a low value.
If it does you can set it to 9999 and then remove yourself from the
permissions to modify the key. That should stop
the game from changing it. I haven't tested this though so I don't know that
it is going to work.

1. Open the Registry editor
2. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\Joystick\Dinput.dll\CurrentJoystickSettings
3. In the right pane of the editor right click and create a new "DWORD
value".
4. Make the name of the value Joystick##FFConfiguration, replacing the "##"
with the same number as seen in the Joystick#Configuration key. If you have
more than one joystick device this can be tricky, but in your case it is
almost sure to be 1. e.g. Joystick1FFConfiguration
5. Right Click the Joystick#FFConfiguration and choose Modify.
6. Set the value to something between 0 and 10000 Decimal. Depending on the
device values lower than about 2500 may not be felt at all. 10000 is the
default and represents 100% force strength. 5000 is probably a good point to
start. That would be 50% strength.
7. Try your game to see if the force level is better for you. If so close
the editor.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft