Wireless

They have basically what I linked just built into the motherboard, some ITX motherboards also have inbuilt Wifi.
TBH I don't know much about wireless standards or more complex networking, so cant really help if you want to compare individual NIC's against each other.

jac24855

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
ok well thanks, but yeah i'm pretty sure 802.11n is the fastest wifi speed (available) so I will research it a little more but i think that rosewill one did support that speed anyway. I'm also hearing on some form some other forums that the Asus n13 is really good as well.

jac24855

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hey and i'm just thinking here, but it almost seems like it would be cheaper and better to just buy a router to put up in my room and connect straight to my ethernet port from that, and it could ping off my router downstairs....any thoughts on that?

jac24855

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
yeah but i live in an apartment, and it would be a really really long cable, then again comcast already has a coaxial cable going upstairs, i could just put an ethernet in place of that, but i can get a used router for like 20 bucks, an ethernet cable that long would be more than that don't you think?

So a long cable isnt an option I'm guessing.

TBH I don't know, if both routers are of decent spec then I suspect there wont be any slow-down but I dont know for sure.
I think you should post this in the Networking forum, they would know a lot more about this than I do. If you need general system or water-cooling advice, I'm your man, but networking not so much.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-42.html

Also just thought of something. Have a look at "Ethernet over Power". It uses power ports to act as faux ethernet cabling, just got to plug an adapter into the wall and into the router downstairs, you should be able to receive a signal up in your apartment from the wall. Faster than wireless speeds, not as fast as Ethernet though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sue1Zvmh8JA

gommer556

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

yes there are things called powerline adaptors, plug one of the units into an outlet and a short ethernet cable into the router downstairs, then go to your apartment and plug the second unit into an outlet up there and use another short ethernet cord to go from that unit into your computer. it basically turns the existing electric cabling into Ethernet cords.