PC to TV problem

cxz215

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I hope this is the right place to post this. Anyway I have an amd 6870 and I am having trouble with my pc performance on my parents tv. When I connect it to the tv through hdmi it looks fine and resolution is set to 1080p at 60hz, but then problems arise when images move quickly, for example: scrolling web pages, videos, etc. What happens is that the screen will go black for a second or have a black screen with color blobs for a second. Sometimes the black screen will stay constant like starting a video game and when a video game is started my tv will eventually tell me that it is not receiving a signal anymore.

I have found 2 solutions so far and the first one is to set the refresh rate to 30hz or lower the resolution to 720p.

My pc runs fine on my monitor at 1080p 60hz. As for my tv my xbox and laptop(alienware m11x r1) work fine at 1080p.

Pc specs:

Windows 7 Pro
amd 6870
amd phenom ii 965 (o.c. 4 ghz if that makes any difference)
8g ram

My tv model:

LG 55LE5400

Hope this is an easy answer and I am just being dumb, but oh well any help would be awesome!

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Do you also get a message in Systray "AMD display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.." ?

Is your HDMI cable capable of transmitting high bandwidth data ? Do you use this same cable for connecting Xbox to the same TV, too ?

cxz215

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

1st question, no I do not receive any messages about amd drivers.

2nd question, I did try the same hdmi cable that I used for my laptop and xbox. I thought maybe the cable became bad, because I haven't used it in awhile so I switched it with the one that is connected to my monitor and same problem. I then connected my laptop to both cables and it displays it at 1080p on the tv without any problems.

I read something about hdcp not being on 6870 hdmi, but I am not sure if that is true or even what hdcp actually does or if it is even part of my problem lol.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
HDCP should not be an issue here. Your gfx card supports HDCP. If your TV did not support HDCP, then you would not get any video only when you have played protected content such as a blueray movie disk with copy protection. Other media would play fine.

Did you connect the external power cable(s) from the PSU firmly to you gfx card ?

EDIT: Is your PSU powerful enough ? What is the wattage of the PSU ?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It could be a mismatch of native frequency and resolution of your TV set and your gfx card output.

First check your card output and then TV set input.

Gfx card: 1920 by 1080p 60 Hz

TV set: Use the remote commander to check. If your TV is capable of and set to 120 Hz, lower it to 60 Hz and see if this helps.