waatanideasirji

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I am planning to buy a Gaming laptop...And i have selected one...lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (59345715) Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310660

I have a question that...In Desktops we have a choice to merge both the Dedicated and the Integrated Graphics (Lucid Virtu MVP)....But is there anyway to merge both the Dedicated and the Integrated Graphics in the Laptop for better performance ?

Generally what happens these days (there are exceptions) is that you have an iGPU (integrated GPU) and a dGPU (dedicated GPU). Nvidia has an automated software switching program (Optimus) that will switch between the iGPU and the dGPU when needed. This allows you better battery life when your not needing the dGPU and when you need more GPU power the software (Optimus) will switch over to the dGPU. AMD has options to use both the iGPU and the dGPU, but that generally doesn't always give you the best performance.