Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 660 ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2012 7:29:29 AM

Is the gtx 660ti viable for upto 6-7 years? I mean the graphics are not going to improve much are they? we already have near realistic graphics, so I wanted to ask if I should upgrade to the 660 ti or wait for some other card, btw the 690 is not in my budget.
Also help me decide between MSI EVGA ZOTAC GIGABYTE.

More about : gtx 660

a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 9:59:57 AM

Thats totally Unpredictable...
It depends on you. If you want Good Graphics then you need to upgrade your GPU every year.
Or else you can still use 660 Ti for 6 years. You may not run games on Ultra, like you can do now.

And I don't think a GTX 660 Ti will last 6 years.

And the Best Manufacture listed, is MSI.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 10:39:20 AM

identical said:
Is the gtx 660ti viable for upto 6-7 years? I mean the graphics are not going to improve much are they? we already have near realistic graphics, so I wanted to ask if I should upgrade to the 660 ti or wait for some other card, btw the 690 is not in my budget.
Also help me decide between MSI EVGA ZOTAC GIGABYTE.

At most 2-3 years it will play all games. After that I doubt. At this stage it will barely run Crysis3.

Graphics tech and graphics in general improve exponentially. We are far from it being realistic as you say.

In a year you will drop details just to keep up. Keep in mind screen resolutions go up as well.

So simple answer, no, not a chance 6-7 years. But you may get a little more lifetime out of the HD7950 as it has 3 GB in stead of 2 GB of VRAM.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 10:53:17 AM

+1 to Sumukh. A lot depends on what settings you're happy to use. If you could step up to a GTX670, that would be a worthwhile gain and keep you gaming on high for longer.
m
l
December 31, 2012 10:57:54 AM

One way to look at it is to see how graphics cards from 6-7 years ago are performing today. Most of them would run at like 2 FPS *exaggeration* at 1080p. Your only choice then is to reduce the resolution, which isn't really worth it.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 11:03:32 AM

Yeah a 7900GTX (top end 7 years ago) is comparable to a GT430 today.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 11:35:29 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Yeah a 7900GTX (top end 7 years ago) is comparable to a GT430 today.

More like the GT510... LOL. Horrible!!!
m
l
December 31, 2012 12:35:13 PM

Novuake said:
At this stage it will barely run Crysis3.

By barely running you mean almost at max settings.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 12:38:58 PM

OK let's be sensible here. Crysis 3 has not been released. None of us have played it. Nobody has benchmarked it. Nobody knows how it will run.

All we have so far is minimum requirements, and we all know how useful those are.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 12:47:31 PM

sam_p_lay said:
OK let's be sensible here. Crysis 3 has not been released. None of us have played it. Nobody has benchmarked it. Nobody knows how it will run.

All we have so far is minimum requirements, and we all know how useful those are.

Not true. Some of has had access to the Crysis3 benchmark. And yes i know thats not the final product but its as lose as you can get. When I mean barely run, i mean it at 1080p obviously...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 12:50:14 PM

jdw_swb said:
By barely running you mean almost at max settings.

Read my above post. If you been on this forum long you will know that I don't just post heresay.
I have been around the block for some time...
m
l
December 31, 2012 2:11:26 PM

Novuake said:
Read my above post. If you been on this forum long you will know that I don't just post heresay.
I have been around the block for some time...

They stated a 5770 as min requirements.....a 5870 as recommended.

The 660ti is well above recommended.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 2:13:09 PM

jdw_swb said:
They stated a 5770 as min requirements.....a 5870 as recommended.

The 660ti is well above recommended.

Reread my posts, when I say run I mean at 1080p. MINIMUM is not close to 1080p.
m
l
December 31, 2012 2:50:21 PM

Novuake said:
Reread my posts, when I say run I mean at 1080p. MINIMUM is not close to 1080p.

Yes, and I also stated a 5870 as recommended...not MINIMUM.

Furthermore, for a 7970/680 is what they suggest for High Performance. It stands to reason that a 660ti will be close to them in terms of running the game at a high level.

The 660ti will do much more than "barely" run Crysis 3.
m
l
December 31, 2012 3:22:38 PM

jdw_swb said:
Yes, and I also stated a 5870 as recommended...not MINIMUM.

Furthermore, for a 7970/680 is what they suggest for High Performance. It stands to reason that a 660ti will be close to them in terms of running the game at a high level.

The 660ti will do much more than "barely" run Crysis 3.

660Ti is barly better than a 680 so 1 will run it at medium settings at 1080p
m
l
December 31, 2012 3:37:16 PM

I just upgraded my old 9800 GTX+, it was roughly 4 years old. I got the 660 GTX 3GB from galaxy. But I dont play too many FPS games. That being said...It was a well over due upgrade.

Crysis 3 requirements are out, but a 660 ti should run it fine. It wont run it at max settings with 60 fps...but who cares, if you want you can always slap another one in there.

I also went with a 3GB card because I know what it is used for, I run two monitors...and eventually game textures will fully utilize that amount. Sitting idle windows is using 355MB of it just for the displaying of two 1080P monitors :/ 

That being said, I totally disagree with the previous post saying that a 660ti is barely better than a 680? Are you serious? you'd need two of them to beat a 680.

Here are the released requirement specs for crysis 3 (according to tomshardware)

Minimum System Operating Requirements for PC

* Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
* DirectX 11 graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM
* Dual core CPU
* 2 GB Memory (3 GB on Vista)

* Example 1 (Nvidia/Intel):
* Nvidia GTS 450
* Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz (E6600)

* Example 2 (AMD):
* AMD Radeon HD 5770
* AMD Athlon64 X2 2.7 Ghz (5200+)

Recommended System Operating Requirements for PC

* DirectX 11 graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM
* Quad core GPU
* 4 GB Memory

* Nvidia GTX 560
* Intel Core i5-750

* Example 2 (AMD):
* AMD Radeon HD 5870
* AMD Phenom II X4 805

Hi-Performance PC Specifications

* Latest DirectX 11 graphics card
* Latest quad core CPU
* SLI / Crossfire configurations will run even better
* 8 GB Memory

* Nvidia GTX 680
* Intel Core i7-2600k

* Example 2 (AMD):
* AMD Radeon HD 7970
* AMD Bulldozer FX4150
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 31, 2012 3:37:59 PM

Come on people, this is childish. Use some common sense and realise that Crytek are not gonna cut out 90%+ of their market with insane hardware requirements. Most popular GPU in use according to Steam is still the GTX560 Ti (unless you count HD4000 integrated which is more popular still). Crytek know we're not all running GTX680s, they're not stupid.

Novauke, word of advice. Your bragging about having "been around the block" just makes you look like an arrogant d1ck. It's not impressing anyone. At least it's not as bad as your "Cisco WAN" crap the other day in the Far Cry 3 thread. Trying to one-up the OP in knowledge of a few networking terms. Anyway, if you don't want us all to think you're a arrogant fool, give a little more consideration to what you say. In your own best interest. And if you don't care, just keep it up.

EDIT: +1 to Munter78 for a bit of common sense.
m
l
January 1, 2013 2:32:32 AM

Ok from what i gathered from most of you..The crysis 3 pre-alpha was no where near optimized like the final will be so it was alot of lose ends in the alpha and you could tell it with running a gtx 660ti default settings getting 20FPS ? No that doesnt make sense and they would lose alot of customers if that was the case.2 the gtx 660ti is a nice card and yes games do get more demanding so if it were i and you thinking about getting a 600 series i would wait it out of i were you to see what the new 700 series will bring. I mean a 670 is a beast card but when the 770 comes out buyers remorse is going to kick in\
m
l
January 1, 2013 6:44:55 AM

Novuake said:
Thank you. Had no source to post that myself.

Scary I know.

I still honestly think the alpha isnt optimized correctly and the final version will be a lot better
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 1, 2013 6:55:45 AM

determinologyz said:
I still honestly think the alpha isnt optimized correctly and the final version will be a lot better

Marginally better for sure. A LOT is doubtful, but we can hope... At least the graphics LOOK awesome. Despite killing our cards!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 1, 2013 11:15:28 AM

It's not just the game that can change in that time, it's driver optimisations. How optimised are they really gonna be for something that isn't even out yet?
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:13:03 PM

Quote:
Crysis 3alpha looked like garbage.Shitty grey color filter.BF3 graphics shits all over it.Final game will look much better and even crytek developers said alpha was not optimised at all.i was in crysis3 alpha and was regular member of the closed alpha forum.i can't say anything more since its under NDA.Crysis3 will be very optimised for PC and what ever hardware muscle it requires to run will be well justified.

I notice that grey to but pretty much i agree. Yes crysis 3 will push the gpus a bit more but they said the same with crysis 2 and look how it turned out but all in all i cant wait untill it drops and im doing a gpu upgrade this year so it pretty much all pans out
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:42:26 PM

determinologyz said:
I notice that grey to but pretty much i agree. Yes crysis 3 will push the gpus a bit more but they said the same with crysis 2 and look how it turned out but all in all i cant wait untill it drops and im doing a gpu upgrade this year so it pretty much all pans out

CRYSIS2 was for consoles.Crysis3 is DX11 game.Its the first game ever which requires a min dx11 gpu to play.Look at all the crysis3 gameplay footage released by crytek so far.All of them are on PC.When was the last time a multiplatform game got more pc publicity than consoles?
m
l
!