Gaming/Editing Rig Questions

RoyalTee

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hi everyone! I've been using tom's hardware for years, but I've finally made myself a profile to ask questions and contribute to the forums.

First of all, here is my planned build:
(All Newegg links for consistency)

CPU:
Intel i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 GHz

MoBo:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB

Power Supply:
Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W

Memory:
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Storage:
OCZ Technology 128GB Agility 4 Series SATA 6Gb/s SSD

Case:
Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus - Mid Tower

The idea with this build was to get the most bang for my buck. Essentially, a high end computer for the lowest cost while using quality components. Its main use will be gaming with some 3D modeling and video editing/rendering done on the side. The digital art is more of a hobby than professional work, so no dire need of the i7 hyperthreading. I'll be running Windows 7 64-bit, mainly because I've heard many complaints with Win8 running games & high end software.

Now, here are the questions I have:

1.) I've never used this High-End of a Graphics Card. It calls for +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps. Would this power supply be able to support this card? The New Egg Power Supply Calculator estimate came out at 484W, but I guess this is more a question of Amps.

2.) I will be overclocking both the GPU and CPU. Not quite full throttle, but they will be OC'd nonetheless. Would this MoBo, CPU, GPU, & RAM combo be able to handle a moderate OC?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm always willing to return the favor when possible!

Solution
1. You need a CPU cooler if you don't have one. The 212 EVO is a good choice for moderate overclocking. A Noctua or Phanteks cooler would do even better.

2. You would only need a 750W PSU if you plan the SLI the 670 in the future. If you want to go this route get this.
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($115.17 @ Newegg)
Don't cheap out on the PSU. If you don't plan on SLI, you could get this,
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)

3. The Elite 431 doesn't have a side fan mount. You would probably want to get a case with a side fan mount to keep cool air blowing on the GPU...

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
1. You need a CPU cooler if you don't have one. The 212 EVO is a good choice for moderate overclocking. A Noctua or Phanteks cooler would do even better.

2. You would only need a 750W PSU if you plan the SLI the 670 in the future. If you want to go this route get this.
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($115.17 @ Newegg)
Don't cheap out on the PSU. If you don't plan on SLI, you could get this,
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)

3. The Elite 431 doesn't have a side fan mount. You would probably want to get a case with a side fan mount to keep cool air blowing on the GPU (especially if you are going to OC it). Get something like this,
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ Microcenter)

Everything else looks good.

Solution

RoyalTee

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks a lot cball1311! I'm switching to the Corsair case. I have a CPU Cooler, and I'm planning to get a few more fans for the case once its all said and done. I'm also going with your SeaSonic PSU. Thanks again!