Windows 8 on Dell Inspiron 9300

Hello,
Can I use Windows 8 on Dell Inspiron 9300?
10 answers Last reply
More about windows dell inspiron 9300
  1. wlm371 said:
    Hello,
    Can I use Windows 8 on Dell Inspiron 9300?

those came out in 2005, pretty old hardware. I would expect that you could install with the generic drivers that windows 8 or windows 7 provides. Problem is that if something does not work no OEM will provide updated drivers for your old hardware. Often, even a simple thing like a bad battery will cost more to replace than the machine is worth.

You can run the windows compatibility assistant and see if it knows of a reason that you can not upgrade.

overall, I would keep my old OS on that machine and look at a cheap replacement. (just my opinion)
  2. That is a somewhat lame excuse above. The 9300 still runs better than some machines merely 10 months old. And there is a point to be made: hardware is not milk, and it does not rot. There are very old devices - more than a century later, still working perfectly, so that old hardware jive sounds like flimsy claptrap being sourced from Redmond as a lame excuse to avoid the very difficult reality of the true facts of the matter.
    The Inspiron 9300 is deliberately being shut-out: it was possible to upgrade it to 8.1 a year ago - I did it - but not now. Think of it as a conspiracy to bury a living thing while it is still quite vital and breathing deeply. How low will DELL go I wonder? And how shallow can they be?

There is Linux, so the 9300 can be kept working, with its wonderful graphics and media features, and likely for another 10 years. But expect DELL to sabotage this product's future with deliberate and persistent intent. They built a computer that was much better than they thought.
  3. Bizarre hardware compatibility rant aside, why would you want windows 8 on a single core system with 1gb of ram?
  4. Catfish_John said:
    ...There is Linux, so the 9300 can be kept working, with its wonderful graphics and media features, and likely for another 10 years. But expect DELL to sabotage this product's future with deliberate and persistent intent. They built a computer that was much better than they thought.

How Dell is going to sabotage your 9300? By not providing drivers for Windows 15? Or by sending SWAT team to your house and tearing it down to pieces?
  5. LOL, these machines are for sale on ebay for $20.50 stock up.
    - Electronic components do have a known failure rate and thus a practical self life.
    - I don't think dell is located in Redmond. I think they are located in Texas.
    - notebook machines contain custom device drivers that are written by the chip/device supplier. When they stop selling the chips/device they stop making updated drivers.

Catfish_John said:
    That is a somewhat lame excuse above. The 9300 still runs better than some machines merely 10 months old. And there is a point to be made: hardware is not milk, and it does not rot. There are very old devices - more than a century later, still working perfectly, so that old hardware jive sounds like flimsy claptrap being sourced from Redmond as a lame excuse to avoid the very difficult reality of the true facts of the matter.
    The Inspiron 9300 is deliberately being shut-out: it was possible to upgrade it to 8.1 a year ago - I did it - but not now. Think of it as a conspiracy to bury a living thing while it is still quite vital and breathing deeply. How low will DELL go I wonder? And how shallow can they be?

There is Linux, so the 9300 can be kept working, with its wonderful graphics and media features, and likely for another 10 years. But expect DELL to sabotage this product's future with deliberate and persistent intent. They built a computer that was much better than they thought.
  6. I thank you all for your input. Prices on Ebay are subject to extensive variability.
    I do not need a new car every year, and I have been programming computers,
    starting with FORTRAN on the IBM 11/30, since 1972. What were you doing
    back then, if I may ask? Perspectives are a unique as the person, n'est pas?
  7. Catfish_John said:
    I thank you all for your input. Prices on Ebay are subject to extensive variability.
    I do not need a new car every year, and I have been programming computers,
    starting with FORTRAN on the IBM 11/30, since 1972. What were you doing
    back then, if I may ask? Perspectives are a unique as the person, n'est pas?

My journey with punch cards started couple of years laterr (Fortran IV on IBM360), so your words about "Dell sabotaging 9300" are even more intriguing... And even people who change their cars often don't do that every year (most car leaes are 36 months...).
  8. @Alabalcho
    Nice to meet someone I can relate to - age has its liabilities!
    Frankly, I do not lease automobiles: I buy them and fix them, too, along with repairing home appliances and mending broken hearts. They all usually work pretty well and for a long time after I am done with them.
    Computers are so much fun as "amazing little toys". Most of my career that I spent in electronics design - and used them in systems from the time of the 6502 to the 68000-series cores for WDM-optical/telecom systems. I enjoyed watching them mature with advanced fabrication processes over the decades. I was also spoiled - forever - by VAX/VMS in the 80's & 90's. I taught advanced programming in C++ later in life for the University of Maryland: both software and hardware are just 'applied mathematics' to me (M.S., UMBC, 1991).

What outrages me is that the handful of large vendors are mostly likely colluding - which any realistic economist would expect under the circumstances: greed is a very prominent driving force in humanity - and these vendors are colluding at the expense of consumers who do not have a clue but shuck out their hard-earned bucks like the poor fool that is played by a con-man. It is easy to jerk around the young and old when it comes to these gadgets - recall the great Bill Gates (pathetic) plea, "You NEED Windows 98!" of the late 20th century? Just another of his legendary whoppers. "If you are going to lie to the people, then tell them a big lie, as they are more likely to believe that than a small falsehood" - Adolf Hitler (paraphrased).

The DELL 9300 is both designed and built better than 95% of all computers, and when working they sell for much more than $25 (those are 'for parts only'). For DELL to abandon it, and withdraw its archives of support to further strangle it (a 'tough to kill' machine) is a sad reflection on what we do with things that could be used in classrooms by kids would learn by using them, and wouldn't have to worry about hurting them, all 'for free' in an educational system terribly neglected by a highly dysfunctional government (at all levels). Or the elderly and disabled, who often live in poverty, could go on using their paid-for and by now pretty well understood, 'old computers' without fear and anxiety deliberately created by the econ-fascists of the Redmond campus. [END OF RANT - with apologies]
  9. dell dropping support for their products is not related to "Redmond" which I assume you are referring to Microsoft.

Catfish_John said:
    @Alabalcho
    Nice to meet someone I can relate to - age has its liabilities!
    Frankly, I do not lease automobiles: I buy them and fix them, too, along with repairing home appliances and mending broken hearts. They all usually work pretty well and for a long time after I am done with them.
    Computers are so much fun as "amazing little toys". Most of my career that I spent in electronics design - and used them in systems from the time of the 6502 to the 68000-series cores for WDM-optical/telecom systems. I enjoyed watching them mature with advanced fabrication processes over the decades. I was also spoiled - forever - by VAX/VMS in the 80's & 90's. I taught advanced programming in C++ later in life for the University of Maryland: both software and hardware are just 'applied mathematics' to me (M.S., UMBC, 1991).

What outrages me is that the handful of large vendors are mostly likely colluding - which any realistic economist would expect under the circumstances: greed is a very prominent driving force in humanity - and these vendors are colluding at the expense of consumers who do not have a clue but shuck out their hard-earned bucks like the poor fool that is played by a con-man. It is easy to jerk around the young and old when it comes to these gadgets - recall the great Bill Gates (pathetic) plea, "You NEED Windows 98!" of the late 20th century? Just another of his legendary whoppers. "If you are going to lie to the people, then tell them a big lie, as they are more likely to believe that than a small falsehood" - Adolf Hitler (paraphrased).

The DELL 9300 is both designed and built better than 95% of all computers, and when working they sell for much more than $25 (those are 'for parts only'). For DELL to abandon it, and withdraw its archives of support to further strangle it (a 'tough to kill' machine) is a sad reflection on what we do with things that could be used in classrooms by kids would learn by using them, and wouldn't have to worry about hurting them, all 'for free' in an educational system terribly neglected by a highly dysfunctional government (at all levels). Or the elderly and disabled, who often live in poverty, could go on using their paid-for and by now pretty well understood, 'old computers' without fear and anxiety deliberately created by the econ-fascists of the Redmond campus. [END OF RANT - with apologies]
  10. Catfish_John said:
    ...it was possible to upgrade it to 8.1 a year ago - I did it...

How did you do that? Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 all require the CPU to support NX, which the Dell Insipiron 9300's Pentium M processor do not. As a result, it will give BSOD during the clean install.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Inspiron Windows 8