Sign in with
Your question

Advice on New System Build

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 3:21:16 AM

Hey guys, I'm building a new rig mainly used for gaming and when I work from home. I'm a Financial Analyst and the software I use isn't very taxing (mainly SAP and Excel), but I would like to run them smoothly, all while running other programs. I will have a dual monitor setup (already have the monitors) and already have my mouse and keyboard. I haven't build a rig since High School back in like 2004, and have just been using laptops since college, so I'm rusty on the new technology. Here's what I'm thinking for the rig and would love any feedback/suggestions.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
MOBO: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
SSD: Was thinking Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk, but would be willing to get a cheaper one, but only from a reliable brand.
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V (Purchased)

I think its a solid rig, would mainly need advice on the SSD. I am just using it as my boot drive and a few games, so don't really need anything bigger than 128GB. Would appreciate the help. Thanks!

More about : advice system build

February 17, 2013 3:23:27 AM

From what I know an Fx-8350 would be better if your running ALOT of programs, but if theres only a few then the 3570k is fine. Other than that, your build looks good. :D 
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2013 3:30:06 AM

@burntpizza

The GTX660ti is slightly faster (very slightly) but I have to agree, the 7870XT is a better buy (price to performance wise). However, it uses more power than the 660ti, but still nothing the TX650 can't handle. Just thought OP should know.
m
l
February 17, 2013 3:34:06 AM

EzioAs said:
Yep, looks good except that it might be better to get a Z77 motherboard instead of Z68 at this point. You'll have native USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0. My recommendations would be most board below $200

ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Asus P8Z77-V
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
MSI Z77A-GD55

Well the Z68 pro has 2x PCIe 3.0 (single 16X, dual 8x) and has 2 USB 3.0 (and my case has 2 as well). Can get some good deals on that Z68 right now, but is it still worth the extra $ for a z77?
m
l
February 17, 2013 3:36:16 AM

If the P8Z68 PRO is cheaper than the boards I listed, and you don't need the features some of the newer boards have, then the PRO motherboard is probably a good choice.
m
l
February 17, 2013 3:48:12 AM

i would look at low profile ram and a evo 212 cooler (run 30-40.) online. the intel stock coolers are all plastic and there clips are not that great on locking in on most mb. the better cpu heat sinks have a back plate and 4 screws to hold them on. unit up from the evo 212 would be a cosair h81 sealed liquid cooler if your thinking of getting into high end games with this rig. also look in a slightly larger 2tb hard drives sometimes there about 20.00 more then the 1tb drives. as this is a work/play pc look into picking up another hard drive and some good free drive backup or cloning software. those cheap usb drives from wb/seagate if they fall over or the i/o card inside that converts the sata to usb fails you can lose all of your data on the drive. have to pull the drive out of the case and pray that it still works. with another hard drive you just need one more sata cable and plug it into the sata 3g port. as long as the drive was health you could set up weekly backup to the other drive. most people if they can write the pc and parts as a work cost most times pick up a small 1-4 drive nas case and toss in one or two tb hard drives. use the nas storage for the whole house. depending how close this pc is to you and how many hours your on it. you may want to look at these fans.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Fan-Noctua-Cooling-NF-...
and a fan controller. the lower the rpm the fan can good the less noise your going to hear.
also as most new case have the power supply on the bottom it good to pick up this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
put the case into in. not only can your roll your pc to clean around it if you have carpet..it also give the power supply room to pull in air and keep cool. i seen some gaming pc melt carpet from them laying on top of plastic threaded carpet.
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:17:36 AM

EzioAs said:
@burntpizza

The GTX660ti is slightly faster (very slightly) but I have to agree, the 7870XT is a better buy (price to performance wise). However, it uses more power than the 660ti, but still nothing the TX650 can't handle. Just thought OP should know.

Most everything I have seen puts the 7870xt over the 660ti (with a few games preferring the 660ti/nvidia in general).
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:50:35 AM

smorizio said:

also as most new case have the power supply on the bottom it good to pick up this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
put the case into in. not only can your roll your pc to clean around it if you have carpet..it also give the power supply room to pull in air and keep cool. i seen some gaming pc melt carpet from them laying on top of plastic threaded carpet.

Really? I've never heard of that happening.
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:21:57 AM

must times with long shag carpet..people forget or they push the dust screen off the ps. then the ps sucks the carpet into the fans. on my antec one gaming case it heats up my carpet real well if i lay it on top.
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:31:16 AM

smorizio said:
must times with long shag carpet..people forget or they push the dust screen off the ps. then the ps sucks the carpet into the fans. on my antec one gaming case it heats up my carpet real well if i lay it on top.

I guess I should be even happier that I don't have any carpet in my house, and my computer sits on stained concrete floors :D 
m
l
February 17, 2013 6:37:48 AM

eyeage said:
I guess I should be even happier that I don't have any carpet in my house, and my computer sits on stained concrete floors :D 

Yeah mine sits in an enclosed cabinet, and my work PC sits on a plastic floor mat, this is the first I've ever heard of this. :lol: 
m
l
!