Sign in with
Your question

How well would this setup play games such as DayZ?

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 3:55:40 AM

I am upgrading my CPU because it is not that great for gaming :/ 
I need to buy a new motherboard too, so I found these 2 items
CPU : AMD 6300 six core Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Will these items fit together?
I already own the Geforce EVGA GTX 650 2gb Superclocked graphics card, and have 8gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM sitting on the shelf for this build ( It isnt compatible with my current motherboard)

Surprisingly enough, I can play Skyrim on high settings, but can't play arma 2 / DayZ on low without major lag. Must have something to do with the coding, since
DayZ is so alpha. Same thing with Garry's Mod gamemodes like Base Wars, Perp, and DarkRP, I just get a lot of FPS lag.
I can also play GTA IV on high settings with some lag (not much though)

My theme for my computer is black and red, so this motherboard is going to look sexy as hell, especially with the red vengeance RAM.

More about : setup play games dayz

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 3:56:46 AM

What is your screen resolution? That's a pretty low end card and with high settings on skyrim there's no way you are at or close to 1080p.

Why in the world would you spend so much on an unnecessary motherboard but use a very low end budget GPU. Get a $80 board and save for a better GPU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 3:59:48 AM

What is your current motherboard and CPU?
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2013 4:01:31 AM

tiny voices said:
What is your screen resolution? That's a pretty low end card and with high settings on skyrim there's no way you are at or close to 1080p.

Why in the world would you spend so much on an unnecessary motherboard but use a very low end budget GPU. Get a $80 board and save for a better GPU.

Running at 1600x900. I have no idea where you're coming from "Low end" because it actually pretty nice :S
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:02:45 AM

tiny voices said:
What is your current motherboard and CPU?

Intel core duo e4600 @ 2.4 GHz
Gigagyte GA-EG31M-S2
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 4:03:21 AM

Its the lowest GPU you can buy of the "current generation" cards. At 1080p it won't game past lowest settings in most games. At your lower resolution it should be ok for medium-ish settings and high in some games. You would be much better off with a 7770/ 650ti/ 7850.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 4:03:48 AM

Get the fx-6300 and a cheaper motherboard. getting the board you linked is a HUGE waste of money.
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:09:02 AM

tiny voices said:
Get the fx-6300 and a cheaper motherboard. getting the board you linked is a HUGE waste of money.

I understand the waste of money :/  Thing is I can't find a motherboard that would actually look nice in my setup. It's not like I stare into my computer all day or anything, but dont you think an all red computer with a blue mobo would look strange?
The pc im building is definately budget. It may be low end compared to a 680, but it works nicely for me and for $140 you cant beat it! Also I literally just bought it a few months ago so I'm not going to buy a new GPU unless duty calls.
I think you're right though, Could you suggest me a motherboard ?

I was looking at this motherbaord earlier and concluded it's one of the best for <$100.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 4:15:45 AM

For $140 you can get a 650ti which is roughly 2x as powerful as your card. You got tricked by thinking a 2gb card is better. Its not. Low end cards can't even use more than 1gb of vRAM and it will be 0% faster than the 1gb version of the card.

Honestly get a cheaper motherboard that looks different unless you are willing to waste $80 on the color red.

This is a great motherboard and is all black so it should match fine: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970extr...

m
l
February 17, 2013 4:27:50 AM

tiny voices said:
For $140 you can get a 650ti which is roughly 2x as powerful as your card. You got tricked by thinking a 2gb card is better. Its not. Low end cards can't even use more than 1gb of vRAM and it will be 0% faster than the 1gb version of the card.

Honestly get a cheaper motherboard that looks different unless you are willing to waste $80 on the color red.

This is a great motherboard and is all black so it should match fine: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970extr...

Which motherboard would perform and last longer, the one you linked or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If not, would it be worth the extra $25 for the 990FX version of the EXTREME3?
Disappoints me about the gpu, I put a lot of research into it and right when i bought it the Ti came out.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 4:31:49 AM

Yeah its rough how tech changes so fast. Now for $20 more than you paid, you could have an hd7850 which will get about 50 more FPS in every game. Your card should be alright at your resolution and as long as you don't get a new monitor, you should be good at medium/ some high settings in most games.

The board you linked will work fine. All these boards will really work the same. None are really "better" They are all usb 3.0 and sata 6gbs so get whichever you like.
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:38:56 AM

tiny voices said:
Yeah its rough how tech changes so fast. Now for $20 more than you paid, you could have an hd7850 which will get about 50 more FPS in every game. Your card should be alright at your resolution and as long as you don't get a new monitor, you should be good at medium/ some high settings in most games.

The board you linked will work fine. All these boards will really work the same. None are really "better" They are all usb 3.0 and sata 6gbs so get whichever you like.

I see. I am also running on an old PSU that came with a $50 case. 550 watt. Is it even safe to run it on the new components? Once I buy the new mobo and cpu, the psu is the first priority. Do I run the risk of damaging the mobo? I'd need to buy an adapter for the 8 pin power on the mobo ( Mine has 4 pins ). wondering if I should just let everything sit and buy the cx600 or something.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 4:43:10 AM

DO NOT use that PSU. Its likely from a crap company and likely makes less than 400w. Get a 500w PSU from antec, xfx, corsair, or seasonic.
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:03:43 AM

tiny voices said:
DO NOT use that PSU. Its likely from a crap company and likely makes less than 400w. Get a 500w PSU from antec, xfx, corsair, or seasonic.

Going with the 990FX EXTREME3 motherboard and a Corsair cx500. Price came up a about $2 with the fatal1ty mobo, a couple cables, and the cpu, except now it has a PSU in it and no adapter cables :p 
Thanks, you saved me a bit of money :) 
Now i'm disappointed to find out if I would have waited a month i could have gotten a 2x better gpu for the same price. Oh well, have a good one.
PS I'm going to buy the PSU soon so I can use it on my current build. My current PSU really makes me nervous and I'm super surprised how long it's lasted.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 5:07:34 AM

Always glad to help! I second getting the PSU ASAP.
m
l
December 4, 2013 10:43:09 AM

Arma 2/Day Z is a very CPU intensive game, for 130, I got a CPU that is 4.2 (I don't think that was overclocked, not sure. :/ ) I have the 650 on my rig atm before I make a HUGE upgrade to the 690, and right now I can play Skyrim with a shit ton of mods installed. (126!) Including the HQ texturepack, better distant textures, etc. I have 8 g in RAM with G.Skill Ripjaws RAM. I get around 50-60 fps most of the time. I dont have the 650 overclocked so it stays at around 1gb. I wouldn't know about Base Wars, I do play TTT and Prop Hunt and get the same as Skyrim fps-wise, and I always play at 1080p. I play G mod with max graphics, so I'm not sure why you're getting lag. I went with a 100$ ASUS Motherboard, you don't need a fancy one. If you want a CPU with a little more "oomph" Then I'd recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
!