Sign in with
Your question

Second drive not allowing build to boot into Windows or BIOS

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 4:51:26 AM

Hello all,

New here and a noob in general. This seems to be the place to go for some help so here I am. I have searched around and haven't found an exact answer to my problem, so here goes:

I just built my first system and everything went great...until I added this second HDD.

My build consists of:
ASROCK Z77 Pro4
i5 3570k
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Sapphire 7850HD 1GB OC
ASUS Bluray drive
16GB (2x8) 1600hz crucial RAM

(Seagate 3TB HDD)

I had everything setup and Windows 8 installed and all was working. Got the extra sata cable for the 3TB drive, connected, and everything was STILL working. I was able to format the new drive and started adding content onto it. I was in middle of installing drivers for my printer and I was moving the computer towards the printer in order to be able to plug in the USB cable from the printer when the system lost power for some reason. Long story short, every time I try to turn it on, it gets stuck on the ASROCK splash screen and won't respond to any keyboard presses. I unplugged everything but the basics and one-by-one plugged things back in until I was to pinpoint that the cause of this problem was the 3TB HDD. I have tried a different SATA cable and even a different SATA port, but no luck. I was thinking the BIOS is trying to boot from the HDD but I can't even access BIOS to check, it freezes on the BIOS splash screen!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try? I am currently using the build just fine without the HDD connected.

Thank you in advance for your help!
a b B Homebuilt system
February 19, 2013 2:06:19 PM

Have your SSD plugged into the first SATA 6Gbps port, and boot into BIOS and make sure the SSD is selected as primary boot device. Save and exit and shutdown.

Then, plug the 2nd drive into the next port available that's different than wherever it was plugged into before, and try to boot back into BIOS and make sure SSD is still primary. Should be good to go, report back if still having issues.

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
!