eddie

I have not been able to play games for sometime now. When I try to, the puter
freezes. Is there a problem with my card perhaps?
--
Thanks for your help

Hi Eddie,

"Eddie" <AllTheDetailsContracting@Yahoo.com(do not spam)> wrote in message
|I have not been able to play games for sometime now. When I try to, the puter
| freezes. Is there a problem with my card perhaps?
| --
| Thanks for your help

Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)

1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)

4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

Jimmy has offered you some good advice in my opinion, but I would like to
know which "games" aren't working for you. Is it really ALL games, or just
some that used to work and now don't? If it is just a game or two that isn't
working, it is possible the game itself has become corrupt and simply needs
to be re-installed.

Also, have you checked for disk fragmentation with your admin tools? If you
do a lot of downloading, installing, uninstalling, etc. you may have some
severe fragmentation going on. I installed a few dozen games on my computer,
a bunch of spyware prevention, software firewall/anti-virus, deleted some
games that weren't supposed to work on XP that oddly enough DIDN'T, etc. etc.
and I when I finally got around to wondering why my gameing computer was
acting buggy I had around 50% fragmentation or was it 60%... I can't
remember... all I know is that it works a lot better all cleaned up...

If you are using file swapping software it is possible you have downloaded
something your computer didn't like... If you have an intigrated sound card
or video card it may have some kind of known issue that a patch or other
update can fix. The sound card built into my MB is known to be screwed up
(they tell me now!) so I had to go out and by a real one... The same can go
for video cards too. If you are overclocking anything I personally suggest
you stop, because you'll wear out your stuff a lot faster. It is cheaper to
just sell what you have and get the latest if you really are that desperate
for a few percent speed increase. Overclocking is like using a trampoline to
be able to slam dunk... it works great as long as you land back on the
trampoline, but one miss and you'll wish you had stuck to shooting for three!

Hope this helps...

--
Fear the normal!