Sign in with
Your question

Start up my computer via a keystroke on the keyboard using GA-Z77X-UD5H mother

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 7:50:23 AM

Hello, I am trying to get my new computer to boot /startup via a keystroke on the keyboard? is it possible? cant find any option in the bios and ive loaded windows 8 and cant find options there either. any ideas?
February 17, 2013 9:53:02 AM

Booting up via the keyboard is indeed possible if the BIOS supports it. I had my old PC set up like that, and have also set up my new PC to do the same. I should add that neither computer was factory-built. The BIOS Setup on factory-built computers is often very limited in what it allows you to do.

You won't find the relevant option in any version of Windows since it's got nothing to do with Windows.
m
l
February 17, 2013 10:06:31 AM

connect your power/reset cables on your keyboard led lights which is the 3 leds you see when you tick the caps/num/scroll button. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2013 10:59:20 AM

Hmmm...
If youv got some spare room on your keyboard, you could probably install a custom button into it, with it being connected to the power switch headers on the mobo.
Or if there is no space, sacrifice a key you don't use and hook that up to the motherboard power headers.
Either way will require modding the keyboard in some way, and you would need to figure out how to connect it to the motherboard header (Maybe just snip the case I/O power switch cables, solder more wire on to extend it and solder that to the key/button on the keyboard).

Would be an interesting mod to see done, if you do end up doing it make sure to post a guide and some pics :D .
m
l
February 17, 2013 11:13:10 AM

laconic26 said:
Hello, I am trying to get my new computer to boot /startup via a keystroke on the keyboard? is it possible? cant find any option in the bios and ive loaded windows 8 and cant find options there either. any ideas?

Go in to your BIOS setup, go over to the "Power Management" section, and disable "ErP"
When this item is set to Enabled, the following functions will become unavailable: PME event wake up, power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN.

Also make sure, "Legacy USB" is enabled under "Peripherals".

m
l
February 24, 2013 1:04:36 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
Go in to your BIOS setup, go over to the "Power Management" section, and disable "ErP"
When this item is set to Enabled, the following functions will become unavailable: PME event wake up, power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN.

Also make sure, "Legacy USB" is enabled under "Peripherals".

thanks for all the reply's, ErP is disabled and legacy usb is enabled but no provision to wake up or start via anything but LAN or event wake up.
it is a custom built computer i put it together myself and its a z77xud5h gigabybte board
m
l
!