Making a new build $1600 what do you think?

hey there i'm making a new build i have a budget of $1600 and this is what i've come up with. its mainly going to be for gaming but i want it to last as long a possable. i will add another GPU when i need to upgrade and mabey more ram in the future.

Motherboard: asus z77-V LK
CPU: i5 3570k
Cooler: corsair H80
GPU: radeon HD 7950
Ram: G.skill (4Gbx2) 1600 ripjaws
Power supply:seasonic M12II 850W
SDD/HDD: OCZ vertex4 128GB/ WD Caviar black 1TB
Case: coolermaster HAF X

so what do you think?
30 answers Last reply
More about making build 1600 think
  1. Looks good to me.
  2. Cooler: corsair H80 ---> liquid cooling has various problem, get 212 evo instead
  3. Swap the Corsair H80 for a Noctua NH-D14:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=noctua%20dh-14

Could drop down to 750W, assuming you would have only 2 7950s.
  4. You wouldn't even need a 750 for two 7970s, but it seems he only has one, in which case a 650 would be more than enough (with enough room to add another 7970 later).

Evo 212 would be enough unless you're going for 5Ghz.
  5. one of the main reasons as to why i want to get the H80 is because i don't want the ram slots blocked. if i was to get a fan cooler it would be the Noctua NH-D14 but will it block the ram slots because i might upgrade in the future.

and just to be on the safe side i wanted to get a larger PSU so if i have to change or something happens with my GPU i'm not limted by my PSU.

is seasonic a good PSU brand, and i don't know much about my SSD is OCZ a good SSD?

thanks for all the replays guys
  6. No problem your welcome enjoy!
  7. and i don't know if i should overclock, because i want this pc to last as long as it can. do you think if i overclock with good cooling it will reduce my CPU and GPU life?
  8. The ssd is fine if you want better i’d definitely suggest going with a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro.As far as overclocking if you overclock safely you will be fine.I have been doing it for years with no issues.
  9. alright awesome thanks man

what about the noctua d14 if i get it will i be able to use all my ram slots later down the track?
  10. You only need an aftermarket cooler in order to overclock. The stock fan will work at stock speeds. You can do a mild overclock to 4.0-4.4 with the evo 212 no problem, and not greatly reduce the life. No point in getting a "K" Cpu if you're not going to overclock. No point in getting the noctua either, check out the reviews on the 212, if you're not even sure you're going to overclock, a 212 will be enough, and is half the price.

Instead of a buying a water cooler to allow your ram to fit, buy lower profile RAM instead. These for instance.

Seasonic makes the BEST PSUs, no questions (they actually make several higher-end PSUs for other companies (corsair AX for instance)). They have a very very strong reputation.

I'd go for the 840 Pro Series SSD by Samsung, were it me.
  11. Again, just to note, 550w is more than enough wattage for your system. I would go for single 12v rail. and as mentioned earlier, the seasonic 550 G series is a solid performer/deal for the price.
  12. http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6743/kzeqvl.jpg

That is G.Skill Ripjaws X, about the largest RAM that will fit with the NH-D14. the high-profile vengeance RAM will not fit with the NH-D14
  13. with the power supply i might be adding another 7950 in the future so i'm going to need the extra Wattage, i don't know apprearntly the Evo 212 blocks the closests ram slot.

so should i get the low profile g.skill ARES(1866 or 1600???) and go with either the Noctua or CM?
  14. i get the low profile g.skill ARES 1600 and Noctua personally it's up to you though get what you like. :)
  15. and i should be able to fit 4 sticks in there?

and why get 1600 instead of higher one like 1866 or above??
  16. Campo said:
    and i should be able to fit 4 sticks in there?

and why get 1600 instead of higher one like 1866 or above??
    Yes you should be able to fit 4 sticks in there and 1600 is the sweet spot you could go for 1866 or above however if it cost alot more i would not.
  17. I'd look at the 650 G series from seasonic then. It's important to note that watt calculators use "max" load (which is basically when running prime, not actually playing a game), so it's not very often you'll use the wattage calculated. Pcpartpicker is a good one to go by, if it says 500w system, get a 650w psu and you will have more than enough.

WHy would you need 4 sticks of RAM?

If you want to best RAM, get the samsung 1600 11c 2x4Gb. It'll OC like a whiz. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find. It's also SUPER low profile.

In the end, it's your money, I think your system will be fine. just friendly advice. :D
  18. alright awesome thanks guys changing my SSD to samsung 840 pro and getting ares with the noctua
  19. Campo said:
    alright awesome thanks guys changing my SSD to samsung 840 pro and getting ares with the noctua
    No problem your welcome enjoy! :)
  20. thanks dude :D ill take at look at the 650 G and thanks for all the awesome advice guys and really quick replys, really apprechate it
  21. http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

just quickly i found this on the noctua site and they say the ripjaws will fit. its a really good table about what ram fits with the NH-D14
  22. Campo said:
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

just quickly i found this on the noctua site and they say the ripjaws will fit. its a really good table about what ram fits with the NH-D14
    Yes i know. ;)
  23. I've got RipJawz with CM Evo and it'd be tight but I think I could fit more RAM...but when that time comes I'd probably buy a new components.

Sounds like a lot of future proofing but I think it's better to plan on buying again in a couple years. I can't imagine it'd be easy to find 7950s in 2 years.
  24. envy14tpe said:
    I can't imagine it'd be easy to find 7950s in 2 years.

I don't think you'll have an issue, honestly, as you can easily find 2 year old cards now. That said, it's not like they drop in price over that 2 year time.
  25. As a side note you can also add a 7970 later instead of a 7950...
  26. I think when that time comes, you'll likely be better off buying a new high end card as opposed to pairing your 7950.
  27. eyeage said:
    I don't think you'll have an issue, honestly, as you can easily find 2 year old cards now. That said, it's not like they drop in price over that 2 year time.

They don't drop in price? That sucks. I always thought it'd be way easier to sell and upgrade to new gen rather than 2 cards. And if price doesn't drop, then not much of an incentive for SLI/Crossfire.
  28. It depends on the card, some fall, some don't. Rather, they fall, but not much. In the end, it will always depend.. Current gen technology will most likely supercede a couple year old xfire *ymmv
  29. humm yeah i might look into it a bit more when i by my pc. thanks for all he advice guys
  30. Personally, I think SLI/Crossfire is only useful for multiple monitors. Otherwise, a 680 or 7970 will rock any single monitor. Also, dual GPUs might bump you from 80fps to 110fps but who would notice? That's why I recommend planning on one GPU and a 500W PSU unless you want 3 monitors.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build New Build Systems Product