How to get XP sp2 to connect to DSL

BingoWorm

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
My hard drive will not boot Windows XP. I installed XP with service pack 2 on another drive, but when booting from the new drive, the pc will not connect to the Internet thru my DSL modem and wired router. This happened to me two years ago, but I forgot the trick to make it connect.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

You'll benefit from installing Service Pack 3 and around a hundred and eight subsequent crucial updates since before you go online. Download it to another computer and put it on a memory stick to transfer it. After installing, you'll need a good AV and Microsoft Security Essentials is as good as any other free one.

Then you need to go into Control Panel>Network Connections and see what your Local Area Connection is doing. If there isn't a connection, check in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager that the network adapter has a driver - the fresh installation probably didn't associate with the right driver.

How are you connecting the computer to the DSL MODEM and what make and model is it?

BingoWorm

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Saga Lout
thanks. this should work. I became frustrated and found another workaround.
Bingo worm

BingoWorm

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Dear Saga Lout,

I went to the Microsoft Download page and can only find a Network install version of SP 3 to download. the instructions say that "If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows Update at http://update.microsoft.com."

Will this Network install version work for me it I copy it to a memory stick?

I cannot update on the disk because it will not connect via the DSL modem.

Is this catch 22?

Bingo Worm

I've had the one I keep on my flash drive to update customers' systems for so long, I forget which version it is but it works every time. The filename is WiondowXP-KB939629-SO3-X86 so if you can find that one at the Microsoft site, it will do the job.

Yes, the network installer is simply the full installer that you can download once and use as many times as you want without having to use Windows Update on every single computer. It will work exactly the same as the copy you can download via Windows Update.