Networking IP cameras using cat 6 cables

OSUTO

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hello,
I have installed an IP CCTV SYSTEM for a client. Due to design reasons, I decided to have two locations for switches; one of them being the control room. My challenge is in linking the two locations. The total number of cameras on site(and on one location other than the control room) is 61. The distance between the two locations is 78 metres. Fibre seems to give me problems. Can cat 6 cable give the right performance including speed? what is the maximum number of cameras that can a single cat 6 cable handle properly without compromising speed in such a situation? Please help urgently?
I also have a few related questions:
1. Why is that most CCTV images seem to be in slow motion unlike in ordinary TV broadcasting? how can such a scenario be rectified?
2.what is the bandwidth of cat 6 cable?

Daniel Osuto

Solution

The maximum length (for full bandwidth) of Category or 6 or 6A cable is 100 meters, this allows 90 meters between switch/camera and a 10 meter patchcord between switch/server.

JeauxBleaux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

The maximum length (for full bandwidth) of Category or 6 or 6A cable is 100 meters, this allows 90 meters between switch/camera and a 10 meter patchcord between switch/server.

The maximum number of cameras is totally dependent upon framerate (ie: bandwidth/camera), see answer 1 below.

To conserve bandwidth (and also due to processing horsepower required to sample/compress the video into H.264), the IP camera operates at a much lower "frames per second (fps)" rate than that of a broadcast video. The only way to rectify this is to purchase cameras capable of 30 fps. Something like this -> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733751-REG/Vivotek_IP8332_IP8332_H_264_Day_Night_Network.html

The bandwidth of Category 6 cable is 250MHz, the bandwidth for Category 6A is 500MHz. Although for your purposes, Category 5E is preferable to either of the Cat 6 standards.

Keep in mind, the heavier wire in some Cat 6 cables makes them too thick to attach to standard 8P8C connectors without a special modular piece making them somewhat problematic in connectorizing.

Solution