Is my GPU going bad or am I just playing my games on to high ?

Basically, when I play some graphic intensive games, the textures glitches out sometimes, only for a second, its just a flash and it loads correctly .
18 answers Last reply
More about playing games high
  1. Well, it would REALLY help if you listed your system specifications.
    *And what games you have these problems with.
  2. azathoth said:
    Well, it would REALLY help if you listed your system specifications.
    *And what games you have these problems with.


    AMD FX 8350
    Radeon HD 7850 1gb
    MSI 970a-g64
    650w Antec PSU
    Stock HDD

    Games I have a problem Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, DOTA 2 (All on Max settings) (DOTA is the only game where I get a stable 60 FPS)

    Games I can play that I haven't noticed (Max Settings) Planetside 2, Hawken (Even thought I only get like 20 to 30fps)
  3. Now... what games. Have you tried OCing the gpu. Apparently the 7850 OCs like a beast. If the OC improves your situation enough you know you need more graphics power or reduced settings. Has this problem just surfaced or are you doing something different?
    -Bruce
  4. My guess is the momentary glitch is realted to drivers. Get the newest video driver. If you are using HDMI sound make sure it updates the sound driver as well.
  5. dish_moose said:
    Now... what games. Have you tried OCing the gpu. Apparently the 7850 OCs like a beast. If the OC improves your situation enough you know you need more graphics power or reduced settings. Has this problem just surfaced or are you doing something different?
    -Bruce


    Do you need to buy aftermarket coolers to OC Gpus ?

    I just built this computer like 2 weeks ago .
  6. bucknutty said:
    My guess is the momentary glitch is realted to drivers. Get the newest video driver. If you are using HDMI sound make sure it updates the sound driver as well.


    Pretty sure all my drivers are up to date, checked in DM .
  7. Hi :)

    Use the new 12.11 BETA drivers , you will see a massive improvement...

    All the best Brett :)
  8. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Use the new 12.11 BETA drivers , you will see a massive improvement...

    All the best Brett :)



    Where would that be ? The AMD website is confusing .
  9. Maikky said:
    Where would that be ? The AMD website is confusing .



    Hi :)

    Just look for your normal drivers....then click show results.... the 12.11s will be BELOW your normal ones on same page...

    All the best Brett :)
  10. a single 7850 at stock speeds won't max all those games @1920x1080 with 60+ fps. overclocking will help, but hawken, GW2 still won't top 60 maxed out. You'll need to turn down a few settings to top 60 in all games. You can get good framerates in almost all games at 4x AA and 4x AF with framerate deathtraps like Depth of field turned off

    with a pair of 7850's each @ 1200mhz core, I still can't max all games over 60 fps @ 2560x1440.
  11. quilciri said:
    a single 7850 at stock speeds won't max all those games @1920x1080 with 60+ fps. overclocking will help, but hawken, GW2 still won't top 60 maxed out. You'll need to turn down a few settings to top 60 in all games. You can get good framerates in almost all games at 4x AA and 4x AF with framerate deathtraps like Depth of field turned off

    with a pair of 7850's each @ 1200mhz core, I still can't max all games over 60 fps @ 2560x1440.


    Yeah, I don't really mind the FPS as much, I just wanna see what these flash glitch things are .
  12. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Just look for your normal drivers....then click show results.... the 12.11s will be BELOW your normal ones on same page...

    All the best Brett :)


    Cool, I'll test it out and get back if I can !

    Thnks
  13. Having less memory does not cause glitches or artifacts.
  14. if everything is working correctly you should not get corruption or artifacts. Less ram would mean slower perfomance as the video card has to move the textures in and out of ram more often. You would see a drop in FPS if that was th issue, but you should not see screen artifacts.

    Screen artifacts can indeed be a symptom of a defective ram module on the card.
  15. Well hold on I wonder if he is talking about texture pop were you sometimes it take a second or 2 to load in the corret textures. This would happend in GW2 loading a new zone or possiblly in WvW howeveer WvW maybe do to the testing that they are doing with "culling" as they are trying to find a balance with rendering players.
  16. Also happened in Witcher 2 and Saints Row the 3rd, random textures in the background would just glitch for a split second then go back to normal .
  17. Does that happen randomly as your playing or when loading new areas ?
  18. That card is only 2 weeks old? Stop playing games and just RMA it where you bought it and rule that out there's no point in even troubleshooting further till you've done that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Flash Games Graphics