Your opinion on my future new gaming build

jones333333

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hello everyone,

After six years with my Core2duo/HD 4870/Antec 900... I decided that it was time to build my new rig.

I would like to know your opinion on this gaming setup, also, advises or ideas are more than welcome :)

CASE: Fractal Design Define R4

CPU: Intel® i5-3570K

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H

Power Supply: Antec HCG 520

GPU: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD7950 OC

RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 RipjawsZ

Thanks in advance for your help... i have read and analysed so many pieces of hardware and review on the net during the last two weeks that i'am becoming crazy :)

Looks fine to me. 16GB of RAM is a bit much for a gaming rig unless you are running other RAM heavy application. 8GB is more than enough for modern games. 16GB is fine, but chances are most of that will sit there idle and unused.

If you are planning to overclock that 3570K I'd get a "better than stock" cooler.

jones333333

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah..you're right about the amount of RAM...8 GB will be more than enough for gaming.

Do you have any advise about some model to pick?

jones333333

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Regarding the motherboard, i've read a lot of good review about the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4.

It seems that these could be better than the Gigabyte one.

Anybody got an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4?

spursfann07

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
100% agreement on the RAM. 16 is overkill. He is right about the ASRock Extreme4 though. I bought it as a cheaper alternative (Microcenter had a combo pack with the 3570K for $190) to the Gigabyte and I have been more than happy with the performance. It has a great UEFI and easy to OC any CPU. Plus ASRock has been very good about releasing consistent BIOS upgrades (which I like because it show they are dedicated to supporting a product not just pumping them out the front door).

I have a set-up that is extremely similar to the one you are describing and I could not be happier. I will list for you a rating (out of 10) of each of the parts, based on 3DMark and in-game performance. I can run Skyrim, FarCry 3, and Crysis 2 on max settings with 25+ FPS.

CPU: Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4 Ghz OC
(10+) - Best CPU on the market IMHO

Motherboard: ASRock Extreme4 Z77
(9.5) - Surprisingly strong compatibility and tons of features, good board layout, PCI-e 3.0, and USB 3.0

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC
(9) - Amazing value for ~$180, Doesn't skip a beat on the most graphic intensive games out today

RAM: Patriot G2 Series DDR3-1600 CL9 8GB (2x4)
(7) - Good and dependable, doesn't actually run at 1600MHz for me (I gave up trying to figure out why)

PSU: CoolerMaster 700
(8) - Does what it is supposed to. Nothing above and beyond.

Case: Antec 900 v2
(9.5) - The highest temp I have ever seen is 72ºC under HEAVY stress testing. Using RealTemp for a combo Prime95 and OCCT test.

spursfann07

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
He is right about the ASRock Extreme4 though.

haha My bad, I didn't see that was your own post. For real though, that mobo is a beast and I highly recommend it. Plus if you live near a Microcenter, they do the same promo I bought mine at several times a year.

If you are planning to overclock that 3570K I'd get a "better than stock" cooler.

Completely agree. I bought a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo for ~$30 and it is a beast. Easy to install and keeps my baby purring. Do make sure to pay attention to the directionality of the air flow in your case and place the Evo's fan appropriately, though. For the first couple months I was having minor heat issues (75ºC+) and I figured out it was because I was creating a tug of war match between two fans in my case rather than allowing them to tunnel air out.

jones333333

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks for these infos!

When you say that you bought it as a cheaper alternative to the gygabite, I had exactly the same felling as you when I first saw the Asrock board... But after reading some review, it seems that the Asrock outperform the board of gygabite!

My current feeling on ASrock is they have REALLY made a name for themselves in the last few years. If you compare them to Gigabyte you will always get more for your money with ASrock. They both have lower end boards and all the way up the totem pole. I personally only buy ASUS motherboards for myself. Every personal system I ever built myself starting at a PII 266MHz has been an ASUS and never and issue. They always seem to be at the high or highest end of the OC and performance charts. You do pay a premium though. However, for the money ASRock really gives you alot. I say go for it.

RAM recommendation? just get 8GB of DDR3 1600 RAM that is CAS 8 or CAS 9. I typically stick with G Skill or Corsair.

The Cooler Master Evo 212+ is a great cooler for moderate overclocking. For $30 you just simply can not beat it. For heavy overclocking you are looking at a $60 air cooler or higher.