Tax Refund GFX Card Recommendation

amurorx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
So I recently upgraded my aging pc's cpu mother and ram (my motherboard was failing btw so it was a necessary replacement)

Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 (2.4ghz quad core)
Abit ip35 775 motherboard
4gb ddr2 800mhz Ram (2x 2gb)

to:

Intel i5 3570k (3.4ghz quad core)
Asrock Extreme4 z77 motherboard
8gb DDR3 1600mhz Ram (2 x 4gb) Corsair Vengence (yes I do plan to buy another 8gb by the end of the year)

It cose $332 after tax. Microcenter was having a sale on the cpu for $189.99 and $79.99 for the motherboard. I was told this was on heck of a deal. I hope I made the right decision guys

Anyway I"m getting my tax refund at the end of month and I decided i'm going to use a portion of it on something frivolous (i got car registration and car repair that takes a large portion of refund lol)

I'm currently running with this:

Nividia Geforce gtx 560 ti Evga Superclocked
Nvidia Geforce gtx 260 448 core Evga Superclocked (i use it for my dedicated physx)

Performance has been fantastic since i mostly play on my tv which has a native resolution of 1366x768 (yes its an old 720p tv)

However my 23" Samsung Led Monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080 and games don't run so well on it lol, well mostly borderlands 2 and witcher 2 don't. Crysis 3 beta also proved that my graphics card is not able to handle that beast of a game.

With next gen consoles in the horizon and game development pushing the envelope in graphics its time for me to upgrade my graphics card.

So the question I ask from you guys is what should I buy? I have a budget of $400. (side note I currently using a Corsair HTX 650w psu)

I won't lie I've been a nvidia user since back in the nvidia 6000 series days and yes I like how games now implement physx. I can't imagine playing borderlands 2 or batman arkham city without it. However man they sure are pricey compared to a AMD/ATI card.

Currently I'm looking forward to run games like Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider. However if it was just BS and TR i would probably be just find with my current gfx card. But games like Crysis 3 and future "next gen" games worry me. So I'm trying to squeeze out performance of at least 40fps @ 1920x1080 for another 2 years on this new card (it seems i find myself buying a a new mid-range card every 2 years).

So at $400 I can probably buy a Geforce gtx 670 or Radeon 7970. Best on the benchmarks I've seen Crysis 3 beta runs faster on a 7970 then on a 670 (no duh since the 7970 is amd's top tier gfx card). However I've also read that the 670 can match the 7970 in other game as well. I don't just plan to run crysis so I'm kind of in a pickle here. My friends have all switched to amd cards (one of them even has a 7970) but they all seem to regret it and wish to stick with Nvidia. I think their bias so I need some outside opinions here.

The other thing I want to know is it worth to just wait out for the 700 series nvidia cards (titan?) that will most likely come out this fall? However I'm pretty sure the first models will be above $400 in price. Aside from Crysis 3, do you think my Geforce gtx 560 ti can keep up with the games of 2013? Am i better off waiting?

Thanks guys!!!

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
The STOCK 7970 and 670 will trade blows in every other game. You're not going to be disappointed in either one. Drivers used, game optimizations, and several other variables make it a difficult contest.

You can't afford Titan with that budget, don't even worry about it. It's also not part of the 700 series. The 700 series will also probably be out of your range for a while (and they won't be releasing anytime soon).

That being said, AMD generally does not have their drivers locked down when a game releases on day 1. Also, I see a lot of tests showing AMD cards spend more time rendering frames than Nvidia cards. It is not a huge difference by any means.

My vote is for the 670. You can easily find one under 400.

amurorx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks TheMadFapper

Anybody recommend great model for 7970 or 670

I heard the best value for 7970 is Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card $399
and for the 670: ASUS GeForce GTX 670-DC2-2GD5 VGA - 2GB GDDR5 $399

Am I better just getting stock? What do you guys recommend?