This past week I built a new ASUS X79 System. Here are the componenents:
- ASUS X79 LG2011 MB - Flashed to latest BIOS
- Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz LGA 2011
- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
- 32GB KIT - Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- Seasonic X650 Gold PSU
- Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 24X DVD Burner
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM (All updates installed) (All the latest drivers installed)
- COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942 ATX Full Tower Computer Case
- PNY (Nvidia) Quadro NVS 440 GPU (From Old System)
The Build went well (The only problem encountered were caused by my own stupidity). The system works and I'm going to start testing this week. I noticed that the BIOS was showing my memory at 1333 instead of 1600 so I went into BIOS and changed the memory configuration to 1600. When I restart the system, POST show 20GB of memory installed. I've see others that have had this problem and after running diags I'm not seeing the problem.
I double checked the memory seating in the MB and verified that the sticks are in the correct slots. I've not done any overclocking and the only change to hw that I made is to change the memory settings from 1333 to 1600 with no voltage changes. I have not taken the memory out and replaced it one stick - 8GB - at a time. I'm going to do that after I finish this post. IF each stick checks out, I'll do a 16GB config - with different combos then retry 32GB.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I'm only seeing 20 out of 32 GBs? BTW I have not run Memtest. I'll do that now as well.