Help with ASUS X79 Sabertooth Build

Rasna

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
This past week I built a new ASUS X79 System. Here are the componenents:

- ASUS X79 LG2011 MB - Flashed to latest BIOS
- Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz LGA 2011
- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
- 32GB KIT - Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- Seasonic X650 Gold PSU
- Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 24X DVD Burner
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM (All updates installed) (All the latest drivers installed)
- COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942 ATX Full Tower Computer Case
- PNY (Nvidia) Quadro NVS 440 GPU (From Old System)

The Build went well (The only problem encountered were caused by my own stupidity). The system works and I'm going to start testing this week. I noticed that the BIOS was showing my memory at 1333 instead of 1600 so I went into BIOS and changed the memory configuration to 1600. When I restart the system, POST show 20GB of memory installed. I've see others that have had this problem and after running diags I'm not seeing the problem.

I double checked the memory seating in the MB and verified that the sticks are in the correct slots. I've not done any overclocking and the only change to hw that I made is to change the memory settings from 1333 to 1600 with no voltage changes. I have not taken the memory out and replaced it one stick - 8GB - at a time. I'm going to do that after I finish this post. IF each stick checks out, I'll do a 16GB config - with different combos then retry 32GB.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I'm only seeing 20 out of 32 GBs? BTW I have not run Memtest. I'll do that now as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Thanks JB,

I figured that out and made the changes. Booted into BIOS checked the settings and DDR clocked in at 1600. Odd that I'm only showing 24GB RAM was showing 20GB.

As I said I ran the MS mem diag and Memtest and the memory checked out fine.

I had read the there were some problems with the G.Skill kits and this MB, but that was a while ago. I'll keep digging to see what I can discover.

Again, thanks for responding.

Rasna

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
DIMM Config is correct.

Getting ready to config XMP: Researching how to do this correctly. It looks like more than just selecting XMP in the Ai Overclock Tuner.

Rasna

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
DIMM Config is correct.

Getting ready to config XMP: Researching how to do this correctly. It looks like more than just selecting XMP in the Ai Overclock Tuner.

Rasna

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks JB,

I figured that out and made the changes. Booted into BIOS checked the settings and DDR clocked in at 1600. Odd that I'm only showing 24GB RAM was showing 20GB.

As I said I ran the MS mem diag and Memtest and the memory checked out fine.

I had read the there were some problems with the G.Skill kits and this MB, but that was a while ago. I'll keep digging to see what I can discover.

Again, thanks for responding.

Solution

twoc

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Hope you get it fixed. I have 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) of the G.Skill memory and plan to expand someday soon. Keep us posted!

TRENDING THREADS