First time builder seeking advice

wherestheliu

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: This week.

Budget Range: <$2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com & amazon.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU (Was looking into 3770k), GTX 680 (or whatever offers better performance, however only Nvidia), Corsair Obsidian 800D Case, SSD Boot Drive and 1TB+ Data Drive, Reliable/Fast RAM at least 8GB (is 16GB worth it?), Liquid Cooling?? (I heard it's significantly easier to assemble now compared to before)... and I have no idea for the motherboard, help?

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Looking for a fast gaming monster and hoping to keep my rig cooled down with optimal airflow. I chose the 800D just because I prefer it's simple look and seems assembler-friendly. I'm open to any suggestions, and bear in mind I am a first time builder, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: New computer.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone offering a helping hand, tomshardware has always had the most helpful community so I figured this place would be my best bet to get quality help.

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

You don't need the i7. Just go with a i5-3570k.
I think 8GB is just fine. But you have a higher budget so then you might want to go for it.

and you should get a 680.

wherestheliu

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks for the help Noob12, however I was wondering if the CPU cooler you suggested would fit in a mid-ATX tower? I was reading a few reviews regarding the Noctua NH-D14 and a common theme that seemed prevalent among them was the fact that albeit a very effective cooler, was obnoxiously large and difficult to install.