Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU fan not spinning, no post, CPU LED on

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 2:11:34 PM

I have had my new build for a little over a month now but I have been really busy for the past week so I haven't turned the PC on in a week. Today I decided to finally hop back on and it would not even boot. I opened up the case and fiddled with wires to check for loose connections but there were none. Then I basically just kept turning on and off my PSU and continuously trying the power button. The PC finally turned on but the CPU LED on my Asus M5A99X Mobo was on and the CPU fan was not running and no video signal was being output to my monitor.

My CPU is a FX-8350 and I have done a fair amount of gaming and video editing on it already so it was working perfectly fine but now it seems it has completely stopped working out of the blue. It couldn't have been a power surge because my PC is plugged into a surge protected power strip. Is this what happens when you don't use your computer for a week? Kinda pissed off, help would be very much appreciated.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 2:16:02 PM

Well it certainly could have been a power surge: little power strips or surge protectors have their limits. They're not completely surge-proof or impervious to failure.

Before we start worrying about MOBO and CPU, try a different PSU.
m
l
February 17, 2013 3:13:16 PM

SchizTech said:
Well it certainly could have been a power surge: little power strips or surge protectors have their limits. They're not completely surge-proof or impervious to failure.

Before we start worrying about MOBO and CPU, try a different PSU.

I ended up unplugging and plugging back in pretty much everything and now my PC works fine again. Hoping it was just a hiccup from not being used all week and now it is back and running fine. I'll update this thread if the problem continues next time I boot up my PC a few days from now.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 3:17:05 PM

In that case, it may have just been static. A static charge can build up on components that can prevent them from starting, which re-seating them would clear.
February 20, 2013 2:19:07 AM

Best answer selected by pankakes123.
m
l
!