I5 2500k and hyper 212+

meeklo062704

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I just put a hyper 212+ on my 15 2500k, and it's idling below 30c on stock speed, so it looks good so far. My question is how can I overclock it on a ga-z68-d2h-b3 without shortening the life of the cpu? Also, will overclocking improve performance of the intel hd 3000? I haven't been able to get a video card in yet, so I'm relying on the hd 3000 still. I saw videos on youtube of people playing black ops on just the hd 3000, but when I just tried it at stock speeds, the system locked up on me. Any advice?

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Whats your monitor resolution?

You can OC the integrated graphics (mine are OCed to 1450) but it won't improve things THAT much. It was like a 30% increase from stock if I recall. I used the ASUS utility which did it for me and all I did was push the "Extreme" button. I play SWTOR on mostly maxxed out settings, but on a 768 resolution monitor. SWTOR is a far cry from Black Ops and I can see the pixels on my monitor which is /fail. I had the same idea as you initially and now I'm monitor/GPU shopping, even for SWTOR.

I googled your board real quick and it didn't seem to have an "ez button" so you will have to do a lot of reading and research before you start overclocking manually. Basically you keep increasing the multiplier and checking temps, then increase the voltage if things become unstable. You put the CPU at risk when you give it too much voltage and most will agree that the number you don't want to exceed is somewhere between 1.38 and 1.4v. But like I said, you should spend a minimum of several hours studying the guides before you attempt this.

In my BIOS the HD3000 has separate settings and I couldn't find much to read about how to OC the graphics.....just the CPU, and I'm pretty sure they are two separate efforts.

I'm sorry, but I'm guessing you will spend a lot of time reading, and OCing only to find that you still can't really play Black Ops to your satisfaction. Having said that, you will probably still have fun learning something new and having an overclocked CPU :), so go for it.....but in the meantime plan on dropping $150 on a GPU.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
You should be able to get 4.5ghz stable with under 1.35v. staying under 1.35 for long term stabilty and reliability. Overclocking the cpu will not make the IGP better, however, some asus boards have a igp overclocking setting under bios but i've not heard of any gigabyte boards with that feature.
If i remember correctly, the igp only supports DX10 (or DX9) so you may have to boot the game in safe mode or edit a config file to boot in a lower DX path. It should automatically detect what your gpu supports so i'm not entirely sure.

meeklo062704

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I am looking forward to playing with the OC on this. I just don't want ignorance to force me to buy a new one. I'm sure I'll do tons of reading before I ever tweak it. I'm not sure what gigabyte is up to though. I just read a post somewhere from a guy who was talking to gigabyte customer service, and they claimed that the board doesn't support OC. Yet they market it as an OC board, and it comes with BIOS software to OC.

I'm not worried about running black ops at low settings. My monitor is a 1080p asus btw. I have a friend who always wants me to play on his ps3, then talks about how bad I am. I don't have the game, so I waned to just get some practice in so I can laugh it for losing, and for blowing money on console gaming. I believe hd 3000 actually supports directx 10.1. Guess it's time to get out 3d Analyzer again to emulate some 3d effects. I'm going to get a video card soon. I'm just waiting for the gtx 700 series to come out so that the 500's drop in price.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Do you mean the 600 series? The 700 series is at least a year off and hasn't been announced :eek:

meeklo062704

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Yeah, whichever comes first. Some guy who works at a computer store building custom rigs was telling me that he heard that nvidia is going to skip over the 600 series and go straight to 700, then release the 600 series. Kind of like the similarities between the low to midrange 500 and 400 cards. I'm just wondering how much and how fast 560 ti's and 570's will go down when the new ones come out.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

It will take a while as I can see them battling on price at the high end and only slightly trickling down to the older cards when they first come out.

meeklo062704

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
It's just a pain making a decision on it. I was thinking about going with a 560 ti to start it, then adding a second one for sli. But then I'd be kicking myself in a year because I didn't spend the extra $100 for 570. I know that 2 560 ti's perform well, but I just wonder if the 570's are that much better. Opinions and benchmarks never really give a clear picture as everyone's preferences are different.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Read a few guides about overclocking as software overclocking aka auto overclocking is more dangerous as they tend to use unsafe voltages.

As for the gpu. Get THE BEST you can afford. That's my recommendation as you once it comes around time that the one card isn't cutting it anymore for some reason you should be able to find a second later for cheap. (this is of course assuming the best card you can buy will last you at least a year)

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

That Asus utility you mention, Can I used it if my MOBO is not an Asus?

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Look up your motherboard features. The only Intel motherboards I have heard of with an igp overclocking feature is asus.