Accidentally disabled CPU -- computer no longer boots

omnia

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
My husband recently built his own computer. Everything was going fine until he accidentally disabled the intel CPU. (He was trying to optimize hardware settings to improve game performance and misclicked). Instantly the computer shut off. We have tried many things including: resetting, clearing the CMOS, removing the CMOS battery (I think that is the battery we removed?). The error code that I recieve on Dr. Debug is d7:no console input device detected. Which I found on another forum thread might be related to not having a keyboard hooked up.

Honestly my main concern is that the internal speaker doesn't beep so therefore this indicates to me that the computer isn't even booting up. Nothing comes on the screen, so we aren't even getting into BIOS. I am EXTREMELY frustrated with him and just really want this resolved. Please let me know if you need more information...any leads to help us correct this problem would be very welcome.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
The easiest way to troubleshoot is to remove everything from motherboard except the CPU (with fan) and RAM and make only the necessary power connections.

Remove the CMOS battery, then move the clear CMOS jumper over one spot for 10 seconds. Replace battery, and return CMOS jumper back to original position.
If your motherboard has a power button you can use that, or take a NON-magnetic flat screwdriver and cross the two pins on the front panel connector that are labeled for the front power switch. If you have the speaker plugged in, or if it's onboard, you should hear 1 single beep. If you are using integrated graphics, plug in your monitor to see if you get an image. If you have a separate graphics card, will need to have that installed during this test if you want to see an image. You will need to have a keyboard plugged in to hit F2 to get into BIOS if you do get a boot screen.

Let me know if you've already tried all of that.
It will help greatly if you post the hardware specs of this system.

rdc85

Honorable
- When clearing CMOS, make sure none of the device connected with power (monitor, speaker, printer, etc...) and the battery need to be removed for 5 min..

If it was error in bios setting, it should be fixed by clearing cmos..

omnia

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Thank you, we will try this. I think the most frustrating thing was trying to figure out the order in which to do these steps. We have done all of these things but not in this order...we will try this. As for hardware specs...I am going off our receipt because I really don't have a clue what is in the computer..let me know if you need any more info.

Graphics:Gigabyte GTX660TI0C 2GB
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
SSD cache: Crucial 64GB SSD H4 2.5 SAIA 6GB
Hard Drive: Toshoem Tos 3.5 1TB 7200 HDD
RAM: Crucial 8GB 4x2 D3 1600
Power Supply: Corsair TX750M
Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo

rdc85

Honorable
Not familiar with asrock, but I'm sure it had feature to re-flash BIOS in case the BIOS is broken somehow...

but for now just try clearing CMOS once again... (make sure no device connected with power)

------------
anyways I'm sorry cannot helps u more than this (I will let other do it),
I need to go to bed (It already past midnight here :D)

good luck

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I agree, since the issue happened after changing BIOS settings, clearing CMOS should fix the issue. I think it should be sufficient to just have no power to system and remove the battery for a few minutes and put it back in and turn it on.

omnia

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Thank you for the help, get some sleep...hopefully I will get it figured out soon!

omnia

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Thank you for the instructions, I have followed these exactly as instructed but to no avail. My onboard speaker still does not beep..but the Dr. Debug does go through the normal boot up codes. Here are my specs again just in case they got lost in the thread....

Graphics:Gigabyte GTX660TI0C 2GB
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
SSD cache: Crucial 64GB SSD H4 2.5 SAIA 6GB
Hard Drive: Toshoem Tos 3.5 1TB 7200 HDD
RAM: Crucial 8GB 4x2 D3 1600
Power Supply: Corsair TX750M
Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo

Thank you very much for trying to help, I think I am about to give up and just smash this computer with a hammer....I am so frustrated.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I know PC issues can be frustrating but there is definitely a way to recover from this.

Let's simplify.....

First, what code is displayed from Dr. Debug?

RAM modules should be installed in 2nd and 4th slots (second closest to CPU and then 4th).

If you look at page 14 of the manual, look at switch # 13 on the diagram.
That is the clear CMOS switch, same as jumper. With power cord unplugged, hit that and wait maybe 10 seconds and try to power system on (after plugging back in).

Remove the graphics card from system and plug monitor into the DVI or VGA slot on the motherboard (using CPU graphics). You should be using the video connector on the motherboard and have the graphics card disconnected for now, I wouldn't even have that installed until you can get into Windows and get your system working regularly before automatically trying to use that.

omnia

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

That is EXACTLY the option that he chose. He was in his motherboard settings and disabled his cores and it instantly shut off. We have tried EVERYTHING, my brother who is a computer engineering major will be home for spring break soon and we will just have to rebuild I guess :-( bummer.

rdc85

Honorable
If that what he done, usually clearing CMOS fix it, since after clearing CMOS nothing change...

then the only way, I can think of is disassemble everything (especially the the processor from the mobo) and rebuild it.......

I hope that fix it....