Sign in with
Your question

Dumb question... I'll ask anyway...Imac GPU ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2012 8:03:48 PM

I will get yelled at for this but I might as well ask...

Can I put the new GTX 690mx in the 2011 27" Imac?

More about : dumb question imac gpu

a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 9:08:15 PM

Your better off asking this question on a Mac forum, Knowing apple products I highly doubt it, It`s more than likely locked with the hardware it came with, when it comes to apple products you are limited to just how much hardware you can update and replace.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 9:33:12 PM

I really have to ask why would you want to do such a thing? I'm not the biggest Mac aficionado, but I doubt there is really anything you can do with a Mac to take advantage of such a gpu.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 11:15:31 PM

There is no such thing as a 690mx but the new imacs can be configured with a 680mx so the drivers exist. The issue is they don't use mxm cards anymore so finding a mac compatible card will probably be impossible.
m
l
December 31, 2012 11:28:17 PM

changing hardware on a mac is almost impossible. they really are not like pc's where you can just change a GPU and it'll turn right on. Weaselman is right, it will be "locked" in the configuration it came as with a few exceptions. you MIGHT be able to swap the GPU with another one that was an option at the time it was new, but thats about it. I bought a G5 mac pro and read about upgrading the graphics, the options were limited to what came stock with a FEW exceptions, and those exceptions involved flashing a custom ROM on to the GPU and HOPING it works..

if you go to http://www.tonymacx86.com/forum.php which is a site for building a "Hackintosh" you'll quickly see the hardware limitions and how much work it takes to make something NON-MAC work in a MAC

m
l
!