Sign in with
Your question

Pc Restarts [ Sapphire 7970 Dual X]

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2012 8:24:14 PM

My system is running totally fine until i play any game. It restarts without any error or any blue screen. It happens everytime I run Battlefield 3 and Assassin's creed or any game. for insatnce when i run battlefield 3 , it connects with the server and map is loading but as the gameplay starts the pc restarts without any blue screen. tried with assassin's creed. assassin's creed is loading , movie is running , story video is running but as the gameplay starts pc RESTARTS. Yes i have googled alot with no luck for my problem.

My system
Intel 3770k
Gigabyte z77 d3h
sapphire radeon 7970 dual x
tried catalyst 12.11 , 12.4 , 12.3, 12.11 beta
huntkey 600W PSU
8gb kingston 1660 memory
win 7 64bit

things that i have tried
1) did a fresh install of windows twice but again no luck
2) removed all the catalyst drivers and installed just the display drivers but still the same.

Please please help me , this thing is driving me crazy.
January 6, 2013 5:18:50 AM

I would try a more powerful PSU
Cheers
January 6, 2013 10:33:41 AM

grippen29 said:
I would try a more powerful PSU
Cheers

my friend is using the same psu with the standard 7970 ( not the dual x version ) without any problem.
Related resources
January 6, 2013 10:33:10 PM

Are you able to plug your graphics card into your friend's PC? That should be the easiest way to figure out if it is the card that's causing problems or some other components in the system.
January 9, 2013 7:29:09 AM

grippen29 said:
Are you able to plug your graphics card into your friend's PC? That should be the easiest way to figure out if it is the card that's causing problems or some other components in the system.

yes i gave him my card and he is using it fine . But here comes the real problem , so what we did we swapped cards and we are using both the cards absolutely fine . he is using my card (7970dual x ) and i am using his card ( 7970 standard ) . i dont know whats the problem :( 
January 10, 2013 9:15:45 AM

To me it sounds like your power supply is struggling with the overclocked card, which could draw significantly more power than the stock clock one. I understand your friend has the same one, but electronic component tolerances vary especially for cheaper PSU brands.

Try a different PSU if you're able. I have a Seasonic 650W and run a HD 6950 without problems.

Maybe get one from a store that will allow returns? If it is not the PSU after all you can get your money back.

Anyways, hope you get it fixed.

Cheers
March 15, 2013 6:35:08 AM

Hi guys, I've been reading the topic and I have exactly the same problem that younus is describing. Here are my specs:

i5 3570
Gigabyte z77 d3h
sapphire radeon 7970 dual x
16 gb corsair vengeance 1600
PSU 600W thermaltake
Win 8 pro 64bit

I've been using both 13.1 and 13.2 beta drivers and no luck, in every game that demands GPU power it freezes after 2 or 3 minutes, screen goes black and I need to hard reset the PC. I called the place I bought the parts from and they ensure it is the PSU that is not enough for this videocard, now that i see I'm not so sure. The video card requirements are 500W PSU.

I'm starting to think there might be a problem with the mobo, i also updated its bios to the latest version. Are there any known issues for this? Now i just don't know what to do

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
!