Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2012 9:16:42 PM

Im running a Desktop PC with the following specifications:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz
RAM memory: 3.00 GB
Motherboard: MSI 785GT-E63 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Power Supply: Mushkin Enhanced 800W SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of what happened.

I was simply running a low end game Counter Strike, which should be running perfectly without even stressing the configuration listed above. All of a sudden the image froze, everything started looking like Minecraft or Lego's...
10 seconds later, [NO SIGNAL] message was showing on my screen as it went all black. My music was still running in the background without any problems.

I restarted the computer but it wouldn't go past the loading Windows Screen, and instead it kept restarting. I noticed discoloration on the startup screen. The discoloration was manifested with yellow stripes all across my screen going vertically.

Booted my PC in Safe mode. It worked fine but the yellow stripes were still there. I turned it off, i removed the GPU from the motherboard, and put it back again, thinking that maybe it's a connection issue. When i touched it, it was burning up it was so hot.
Started the computer on, and it didn't show the yellow stripes. Went to windows just fine. I opened My Computer Properties -> clicked on the "SYSTEM RATING" button and it started doing it's tests. 10 seconds later, it crashed again in the same way.. With yellow stripes and all.

I ended up Formatting my HDD. Installing a fresh copy of the windows version listed above. I installed the newest nVidia drivers.
Went to rate my system again... It crashed completely with the yellow lines back again. Did the same thing with removing and putting back the GPU, this time it didn't work.
Booted up in Safe mode, and i was researching on the problem... I Took perhaps 20 minutes reading online in Safe Mode and then all of a sudden the Yellow Lines that were across my screen started to kinda brush away and disappear.
Rebooted and ran Windows Normally.
It's still running OK. for now, but im afraid of doing anything further. So i took the time and wrote this huge thing here in order to ask for HELP!!

I just want to know what it is. What the problem is. If it comes down to buying a new GPU ill buy it, but i want to be certain it's the GPU.

PLEASE HELP.

Thank you.

More about : graphics issue

a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 9:40:22 PM

well it seems like it is a gpu problem itself but just to be sure enough try testing another case in your computer or vice versa.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 12:30:56 AM

GPU problem. explains why the sound was still on after the screen going black.. get a hd5450 anythings better than that card i used to have it (it was the only 'high end' card i ever bought) until then i suggest you stop wasting time trying to get it to work. if you wanna squeeze more life out of it put it in an over for 10 minutes (google that it actually works) and overclock the crap out of it hehe but id suggest you just buy a hd5450 or a better card p.s the cards fan might be dead thus the card burning up
January 8, 2013 4:20:02 AM

Best answer selected by StormT451.
m
l
!