Should I get 4GB or 2GB GTX 670s?

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
2x 4GB GTX 670s in SLI cost around $880

2x 2GB GTX 670s in SLI cost around $720

Is the extra video RAM worth $160?

I'm planning on using them for Surround 3D Vision. I figured on the 670s over the 680s because could add a third card if needed and the speed difference between the two seems very minimal.

Solution

3D does not work that way. In 3D, two images are created, one after the next. That means the only difference could be an additional buffer to hold the extra image, if they even do that. At 5760x1080, that amounts to less than 20mb of extra VRAM usage.

I have tried to compare with Skyrim, and I couldn't see any difference between 2D and 3D, but it was jumping around enough, that I wasn't completely satisfied with my results.
Depends what res monitors ?

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

I'd love to go with ATI, but I don't think HD3D has the same level of support as 3D surround vision.

I would go for 2gb in that case if you want to run 3x @ any higher 2560x1440. Example: 7680x1440 displays you're going to need more Vram allocated to each GPU, in this case a GTX 670 4Gb SLI would be the right choice.
There really is no good legit review.I have seen giving any reason to buy 4GB cards yet imo seems pretty much is based on blanket statements or a bunch of hype.Also, games that actually need more than 2GB of VRAM tend to be GPU demanding like Skyrim with ENB mods and Metro2033,ARMA II,Witcher 2 with Ubersampling,Far Cry 3, are the only ones i can think of. Pretty much the only thing that increases the need for vram is higher resolutions or extreme AA situations. EDIT- Found a review QUOTE: Conclusion

Increasing the amount of memory on board of GeForce GTX 670 and GTX 680 cards translates to obvious performance benefits only in specific unique cases, such as triple-monitor set-ups with 3240x1920 resolution and enabled antialiasing. Metro 2033: The Last Refuge and Sniper Elite V2 are the only games that need more than the standard 2 GB of graphics memory, but the contemporary High-End graphics cards are anyway too slow in these games even with 4 GB of video memory. In the rest of our games we could hardly see any difference between GeForce GTX 670s with 2 and 4 GB of memory in 3240x1920 and no difference at all in 2560x1440. So, purchasing a 4GB card wouldn't be worth the investment unless you've got a triple-monitor configuration. But if you do have one, 4GB graphics cards really make sense for 2-, 3- and 4-way SLI configurations and playing contemporary games at high resolutions. In this case, the increased amount of memory would not become the bottleneck.

As for the particular product, the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ 4GB is a well-made card that follows the reference design with minor modifications such as the shape of the vent grid and the increased GPU clock rate. By the way, EVGA played it safe with the GPU, which actually turned out to have much better overclocking potential. The memory chips could have also been overclocked to 6608 MHz, for example. The product definitely deserves high scores for its good accessories, handy software tools (Precision X and OC Scanner) and 3-year warranty. Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/evga-geforce-gtx-670-4gb_11.html

The more sensible choice is two MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $359.99 price for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks or two the GIGABYTE GTX 670 OC is one of GIGABYTE’s overclocked video cards in the GeForce GTX 600 series lineup. It includes GIGABYTE’s Windforce 3X cooling solution and a factory overclock. NVIDIA’s reference GTX 670 platform has the base GPU clock speed set to 915MHz on the core, while GIGABYTE starts their offering out at 980MHz.

GIGABYTE loaded this custom video card up with its Ultra Durable VGA components. These include first tier Samsung and Hynix memories, high quality capacitors, ferrite chokes, and MOSFETs. Together these components combine for several benefits for the video card. GPU temperatures will be lower, it will provide for better overclocking ability, and will improve power efficiency which can increase performance.Gigabyte Windforce OC 670 - 9.8 rating
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_670_Windforce/33.html
$359.99 http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GV-N670OC-2GD-GeForce-Windforce-Graphics/dp/B0080I06WQ/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

One thing to consider, in a 3D Vision surround setup, you are going to put a tremendous amount of demand on the GPU's, to a point that AA will not likely be possible, which is about the only reason for more than 2GB.

That said, 3D Vision could have some extra VRAM requirements. Though I have not noticed it with my 1080p, it has been very difficult to test accurately.

Anyways, if you are new to 3D Vision, here is a site you should have: http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering if 5940x1080 with 3D vision would be considered a special case for 4GB.

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

I've honestly never used AA that much. It always seems to introduce input lag and I can't stand that. I don't really see the point off AA if I'm using 3x 24 inch screens at more than arms length. The human eye can't even see the pixels.

Going 3D Vision surround means Nvidia, though AMD does have HD3D support, but it generally isn't as well supported.

3D does not use much more memory than regular 2D IIRC. The only worry for your graphics memory should be the higher resolution, assuming that you forgo heavy MSAA. For that, the 4GB models may have an advantage in some situations. It's a difficult situation IMO because AMD excels in the high resolutions compared to Nvidia, but Nvidia has better 3D support...

Unless you have poor vision, you should be able to see the pixels on 24" displays unless they have 4K resolutions or higher or you are very far away from them. AA should help, but you're unlikely to have enough performance for it.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Its not about how much VRAM 3D uses, it about how many megapixel you have for AA and AF to render through, 3D vision is basically 2x2D slapped on top of each other. You will need lots of VRAM.

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

A 24 inch 1080P display become retina at 37 inches... which is about the distance my monitors sit from my eyes. :D

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Hmmm, I'm seriously thinking about going with two 4GB 670s. If I don't get enough frames I can always put in a third, where as if I don't have enough RAM it's going to require new cards all together.

Tough choice! Newegg just ran out of the BenQ 3D monitors I was planning on buying today with all the new components. I guess I have a little more time to think.

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

Yes, I am definitely considering that. I've read that the 4GB is really only 2GB per core though. I've also read the 690 tends to pump its heat into the case while the 670s and 680s put less heat into the case and have the option of using twice the RAM.

I decided on 670s only because they are much cheaper than the 680s with almost the same speed.

The PSU calculator I used shows I only need a 620 watt with the double 670s or with the single 690.

The graphics card designers know what they are doing.
They put the appropriate amount of vram and other specs to meet a given price performance target.
If value is part of your consideration, then I think GTX670 and 2gb is about right.
If the price is not a big concern, go with 4gb GTX680.

PSU calculators are only as good as the input you give them.
There are some unknowable factors such as capacitor ageing and future upgrade reserves.
Also, I think overprovisioning a bit is a good idea anyway.
A psu will operate more efficiently and quietly in the middle third of it's range.
I would look at a top quality unit in the 750-850w range. The price difference is not that great.

And... second quarter, when haswell arrives, I think we will see the GTX780 series and amd 8xxx cards.
Whatever you buy today, be prepared to sell it in favor of the next best thing if you are looking for top performance.

GTX 690 is 2x2GB aka 2GB per GPU, so it's basically two underclocked GTX 680 2GB models in SLI, but on a single card and yes, they often do get much warmer than most GTX 670/680 cards do because they have less cooling per GPU than the GTX 670 has due to size constraints.

Two GTX 670 4GB models would be far cheaper and would have 4GB per GPU. I think that I'd suggest going with the 4GB models because like you said, if you end up needing that much anyway, then it would mean needing multiple new cards if you go for 2GB models now and eventually, even if 2GB models are sufficient right now, they almost definitely won't be enough later on without making some compromises.

OP wouldn't have enough performance for much AA, if any at all, so like I said, it shouldn't be a problem. Even four GTX 680 4GB cards would struggle assuming that they had perfect scaling, let alone two or three GTX 670s with realistic scaling.

Graphics card designers screw up every generation in some way or multiple ways (usually multiple). It doesn't matter if we say that they know what they're doing because they are far from infallible.

THe 4GB models can usually be had (at least some of them) for almost as cheaply as the 2GB models and looking at what OP wants to do, they wouldn't be unreasonable.

Just so everyone knows, wattage of the PSU is pretty much irrelevant nowadays. What matters is build quality, efficiency, and how much load the +12V rail(s) can handle. For example, a good 430W can handle even a Radeon 7850 with ease, yet a bad 600W can struggle with even a Radeon 7770 GHz Edition because of most of its wattage being on the wrong rails and it not being built to handle maximum loads that its rated for very well. I do agree that most top-quality units would be adequate in the 750-850W range, but it often helps to be more informative about what matters.