Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can my computer handle a 27 inch monitor at 2540x1440 for gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 31, 2012 9:28:48 PM

i have a alienware x51 with the following specs:

Windows 8 64bit
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.40GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4C)
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660
8192MB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
1 TB – SATA II, 7 200 v/min
DVD+/-RW (Read/Write)

my question is, will this computer be able to handle games like battlefield 3, assasins creed, dishonerd on medium-high settings with a 27 inch moniter at 2540x1440 resolution. i have found a good moniter at a discounted price, ASUS PB278Q 27" that im thinking of bying but wanted to be sure that it fits my needs.

thankful for response

More about : computer handle inch monitor 2540x1440 gaming

a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 9:49:36 PM

I seriously doubt that. Even if you manage to run the game, the fps would be un playable, even after you turn off AA and AF.
December 31, 2012 9:58:52 PM

Of course you can. Now every video cards support 2560 x 1600 resolution. Your monitor 27" has 2540 x 1440 which almost perfectly match to the video card. I don't think you would get any problem with the FPS. Everything is just fine.
Related resources
a c 282 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 10:02:57 PM

Do it.
A great monitor will last you a long time.
It is one of the best future proof pc technology purchases you can make.

The GTX660 is a fine card, entirely capable of good performance at 2560 x 1600.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 10:43:26 PM

you might have trouble on high settings at 1440p.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...
that shows at 1080p getting 45 fps but that is single player. knock 10 fps off that for multiplayer and another ten for 1440p and you are going to be close to the teens for ultra. you will need 60+ fps for online multiplayer. you could always buy the monitor and play at a lower resolution till you can upgrade your graphics if you want too.
a c 282 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 11:11:18 PM

mansor10 said:
i checked, but there is no benchmark for gtx 660, but there are for 580, 570, 670 ....
do you perhaps know how the 660 compares to these?

The GTX660 is most comparable to the GTX570.
The GTX580 and GTX670 are a bit stronger, but not significantly so.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 12:52:17 AM

http://techreport.com/review/23527/review-nvidia-geforc...

Here's a great review in which they test some games at 1440p - the GTX 660 does a great job at High settings in most games with or without Antialiasing - depending on the game. (But at higher resolutions, FXAA really does a great job on its own.) 60fps at Medium is easily doable.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 1:03:19 AM

mansor10 said:
i have a alienware x51 with the following specs:

Windows 8 64bit
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.40GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4C)
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660
8192MB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
1 TB – SATA II, 7 200 v/min
DVD+/-RW (Read/Write)

my question is, will this computer be able to handle games like battlefield 3, assasins creed, dishonerd on medium-high settings with a 27 inch moniter at 2540x1440 resolution. i have found a good moniter at a discounted price, ASUS PB278Q 27" that im thinking of bying but wanted to be sure that it fits my needs.

thankful for response


I would just go ahead and play games at 1080p, and then when I get a beefier video card (or SLI the 660) then bump up the resolution.
January 1, 2013 8:29:56 PM

austing said:
I would just go ahead and play games at 1080p, and then when I get a beefier video card (or SLI the 660) then bump up the resolution.


what do you men by play games at 1080p? do you mean turn down resoluion in-game, can you do that?
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 9:13:56 PM

*ahem* ALIENWARE ***.
Anyway. Maybe in lower settings depending on the game, lets say BF3 in medium to high would fetch around 60 fps
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 9:14:24 PM

mansor10 said:
what do you men by play games at 1080p? do you mean turn down resoluion in-game, can you do that?

Yes -_-
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 5:04:01 AM

the monitor you intend to purchase is a good upgrade...go ahead and make the purchase.
though you might not be able to game at 1440p with every title but you can always decrease the resolution in game to have better fps
!