Fuji blows It

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 29, 2005 4:07:41 AM

Can you believe Fuji is coming out with a 9MP S9000 Point and Shoot
(claiming to be a DSLR) with the 35mm EQV of a 28mm to 300mm lens that
has NO image stabilization. Sounds like they missed the boat.

More about : fuji blows

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:21:07 PM

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:07:41 GMT, measekite <inkystinky@oem.com>
wrote:

>Can you believe Fuji is coming out with a 9MP S9000 Point and Shoot
>(claiming to be a DSLR) with the 35mm EQV of a 28mm to 300mm lens that
>has NO image stabilization. Sounds like they missed the boat.

Their idea apparently is that the higher sensitivity of their sensor
compensates, so they don't need it.

Sad, really. For one, it remains very much to be seen that their
sensor is three stops better than the point and shoot competition -
from what I have read and understood, a gain of between one and two
stops is more likely.

But the reasoning is patently silly for another reason. If they had
included image stabilisation, they would have had a camera with an
unique selling point, instead of having a camera where óne good point
supposedly compensates for what really is today is a deficiency among
other long-range zoom digital cameras.

Maybe Fuji should concentrate om making sensors, and selling them to
other camera makers. Imagine a Panasonic FZ-30 with Fuji's new sensor
in it let's call it the FZ-35. If it really is those three stops
better, with no loss of resolution, it would leave precious little
reason for most people ever to acquire a DSLR.

On second thought, I'd like to see Fuji's bouncable built-in flash in
this FZ-35 too, to be really satisfied.

Jan Böhme
Korrekta personuppgifter är att betrakta som journalistik.
Felaktigheter utgör naturligtvis skönlitteratur.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:00:31 PM

Jan Böhme wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:07:41 GMT, measekite <inkystinky@oem.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Can you believe Fuji is coming out with a 9MP S9000 Point and Shoot
>>(claiming to be a DSLR) with the 35mm EQV of a 28mm to 300mm lens that
>>has NO image stabilization. Sounds like they missed the boat.
>>

>Their idea apparently is that the higher sensitivity of their sensor
>compensates, so they don't need it.

How can higher sensitivity making up for camera shake? A faster shutter
speed only helps out a little. Besides, you may want to control depth
of field with shutter speeds.

>Sad, really. For one, it remains very much to be seen that their
>sensor is three stops better than the point and shoot competition -
>from what I have read and understood, a gain of between one and two
>stops is more likely.
>
>But the reasoning is patently silly for another reason. If they had
>included image stabilisation, they would have had a camera with an
>unique selling point, instead of having a camera where óne good point
>supposedly compensates for what really is today is a deficiency among
>other long-range zoom digital cameras.
>
>Maybe Fuji should concentrate om making sensors, and selling them to
>other camera makers. Imagine a Panasonic FZ-30 with Fuji's new sensor
>in it let's call it the FZ-35. If it really is those three stops
>better, with no loss of resolution, it would leave precious little
>reason for most people ever to acquire a DSLR.

Using many different lenses.

>On second thought, I'd like to see Fuji's bouncable built-in flash in
>this FZ-35 too, to be really satisfied.
>
>Jan Böhme
>Korrekta personuppgifter är att betrakta som journalistik.
>Felaktigheter utgör naturligtvis skönlitteratur.

July 29, 2005 10:47:37 PM

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:00:31 GMT, measekite <inkystinky@oem.com>
wrote:

>Jan Böhme wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:07:41 GMT, measekite <inkystinky@oem.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Can you believe Fuji is coming out with a 9MP S9000 Point and Shoot
>>>(claiming to be a DSLR) with the 35mm EQV of a 28mm to 300mm lens that
>>>has NO image stabilization. Sounds like they missed the boat.

>>Their idea apparently is that the higher sensitivity of their sensor
>>compensates, so they don't need it.

>How can higher sensitivity making up for camera shake? A faster shutter
>speed only helps out a little.

How are you thinking here? A good image stabilisation is generally
considered to allow about three stops slower shutter speed on a still
subject. Thus, if you are have tree stops higher useful sensitivty,
then you can go three stops faster in shutter speed, and then you can
take _all_ the pictures you can take with image stabilisation, and
then some, because faster shutter speed of course also works for
moving subjects, where OIS is utterly powerless.

If you, however, have both a better sensor and OIS, then you're in a
diffferent league again, and would have a product with unique selling
points.

>Besides, you may want to control depth
>of field with shutter speeds.

I obviously was too brief. Fuji's sensor doesn't have a higher
baseline sensitivity. What it is claimed to have is a higher range of
useful sensititities, a bit more lik a DSLR sensor. So you don't lose
your 100 ISO. You just get a useful 400 ISO (or, if we are to believe
the hype, even a useful 800 ISO) to go with it.

Jan Böhme
Korrekta personuppgifter är att betrakta som journalistik.
Felaktigheter utgör naturligtvis skönlitteratur.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:37:10 AM

Jan Böhme wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:00:31 GMT, measekite <inkystinky@oem.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Jan Böhme wrote:

>>>Their idea apparently is that the higher sensitivity of their sensor
>>>compensates, so they don't need it.
>>>

>>How can higher sensitivity making up for camera shake? A faster shutter
>>speed only helps out a little.
>>

>How are you thinking here? A good image stabilisation is generally
>considered to allow about three stops slower shutter speed on a still
>subject. Thus, if you are have tree stops higher useful sensitivty,
>then you can go three stops faster in shutter speed, and then you can
>take _all_ the pictures you can take with image stabilisation, and
>then some, because faster shutter speed of course also works for
>moving subjects, where OIS is utterly powerless.
>
>If you, however, have both a better sensor and OIS, then you're in a
>diffferent league again, and would have a product with unique selling
>points.
>

>>Besides, you may want to control depth
>>of field with shutter speeds.
>>

>I obviously was too brief. Fuji's sensor doesn't have a higher
>baseline sensitivity. What it is claimed to have is a higher range of
>useful sensititities, a bit more lik a DSLR sensor. So you don't lose
>your 100 ISO. You just get a useful 400 ISO (or, if we are to believe
>the hype, even a useful 800 ISO) to go with it.

You use DOF control when you are forced to go to a higher shutter speed
if you do not need it. IS works better for creativity.

!