Sign in with
Your question

Advice for a Graphics card with good HDMI audio.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2012 11:00:15 PM

Hello,

I currently have the following system:

EVGA X58 SLI3
i7-970
Intel 120gb SSD
12gb Corsair Vengance (dont know specific model)
EVGA 560ti

I currently have my PC, TV, BluRay player, Cable box and XBOX all in my bedroom. As you can expect this takes up a lot of space. I am wanting to remove my desk and monitor and just use my TV / Home Theater system for my monitor and audio. I already use my LG LCD TV as a secondary monitor a lot, but I do it via VGA.

I am going to purchase a reciever and speakers as I currently do not have them. I want to upgrade my video card to something that will send audio via HDMI at a decent quality. Prefer 5.7 or 7.1.

Budget would be under $500.

I primarily use my PC for gaming (LoL right now, but I play Black Ops 2 as well. MMO's possibly in the future).
I would also prefer to stick with NVIDIA.

Thanks!
December 31, 2012 11:18:08 PM

well hdmi has audio built in so any video card with an hdmi should work. I dont think any card has better audio than the other because I THINK it just carries the audio from the pc thru the hdmi.
a c 355 U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 11:37:39 PM

I don't know of any graphics card with "exceptional HDMI audio". For the general audience audio through the GPU's HDMI port should be fine from any GPU.

If you are an audiophile, then I highly suggest you look into a dedicated sound card.
Related resources
January 1, 2013 12:23:45 AM

Im not an audiophile perse, but I want the audio to be at least 5.1.

If its just going to be stero audio I need to figure out another way to interface my PC to my reciever.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 12:30:19 AM

EquilibriumCaster said:
Im not an audiophile perse, but I want the audio to be at least 5.1.

If its just going to be stero audio I need to figure out another way to interface my PC to my reciever.

Hi :) 

I think you are missing the point...

IF your PC CAN output 5.1 Then the HDMI cable WILL carry 5.1

IF you PC CANNOT output 5.1 then it wont...

All the best Brett :) 
January 1, 2013 12:51:06 AM

Ok I think I understand. So If I get a dedicated sound card, the card will control the audio being sent through the HDMI?

Nothing actually has to be connected from the sound card to the reciever?
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 12:55:09 AM

EquilibriumCaster said:
Ok I think I understand. So If I get a dedicated sound card, the card will control the audio being sent through the HDMI?

Nothing actually has to be connected from the sound card to the reciever?

Precisely for your first line...

Don't understand the second ?

January 1, 2013 1:40:23 AM

I mean I dont need any cables going from the sound card to the reciever for audio. The HDMI cable from the video card will send the audio that the sound card tells it to
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 12:26:20 PM

EquilibriumCaster said:
I mean I dont need any cables going from the sound card to the reciever for audio. The HDMI cable from the video card will send the audio that the sound card tells it to

Yes ...

October 30, 2013 9:21:41 AM

I have an Asus EN9500GT V2 video card. The only way sound will come out of the HDMI cable is if you hook up a sound card audio out to the video card audio in. I bought an Asus Xonar DG for this purpose and hooked it up but I still do not get any sound out of HDMI. :-( So this is one reason why someone might be asking about a video card that has good audio *without requiring a separate sound card*.
March 30, 2014 5:36:30 PM

rtlarson3 said:
well hdmi has audio built in so any video card with an hdmi should work. I dont think any card has better audio than the other because I THINK it just carries the audio from the pc thru the hdmi.

Just NOT true...have a GT9500 with HDMI socklet, and no sound.....and installed latest drivers and still no sound

!