Solved

New CPU/Mobo... OS re-install?

Hi everyone,

Today I will be installing a new CPU/Mobo combo. The CPU and Mobo manufactures are different than the original (AMD to Intel). I am assuming I will have to re-install Win8.

Can I copy everything over (games and documents) to my HDD and just do a fresh OS install on the SSD (which is the current home of my Win8)? Thus, leaving the HDD ready to roll once I have everything else installed/hooked up.

Thanks

Steve
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mobo install
  1. Yes, you need to reinstall.
  2. Anything you installed will likely have to be reinstalled, the OS won't know what to do with all the pointers and such they create.
  3. chugot9218 said:
    Anything you installed will likely have to be reinstalled, the OS won't know what to do with all the pointers and such they create.

Will I have to re-install games too? Some files are huge!
  4. no ;you dont have to reinstall, plug in the drive the new all will find with 8
  5. gomerpile said:
    no ;you dont have to reinstall, plug in the drive the new all will find with 8

I'm sorry... are you talking about I won't have to re-install Win8 or I won't have re-install old games and word documents?
  6. Best answer
    No you wont have to reinstall, I installed 8 on my dell first, then upgrade to a new board with out reinstalling, I had to reactivate the OS for the board. everything worked fine.

Also if you use aconios to make a colone on a new drive you wont need to reinstall
  7. gomerpile said:
    No you wont have to reinstall, I installed 8 on my dell first, then upgrade to a new board with out reinstalling, I had to reactivate the OS for the board. everything worked fine.

Awesome. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
  8. Best answer selected by dudka.
  9. dudka said:
    Best answer selected by dudka.

nOne exception, make sure you use the same drive option in bios, SATA IDE, ACHI, Raid in a none raid as your old board
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Hard Drives Windows 8