Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New CPU/Mobo... OS re-install?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
February 5, 2013 1:13:51 PM

Hi everyone,

Today I will be installing a new CPU/Mobo combo. The CPU and Mobo manufactures are different than the original (AMD to Intel). I am assuming I will have to re-install Win8.

Can I copy everything over (games and documents) to my HDD and just do a fresh OS install on the SSD (which is the current home of my Win8)? Thus, leaving the HDD ready to roll once I have everything else installed/hooked up.


Thanks

Steve

More about : cpu mobo install

a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 1:16:29 PM

Yes, you need to reinstall.
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 1:18:37 PM

Anything you installed will likely have to be reinstalled, the OS won't know what to do with all the pointers and such they create.
Related resources
February 5, 2013 1:19:45 PM

chugot9218 said:
Anything you installed will likely have to be reinstalled, the OS won't know what to do with all the pointers and such they create.


Will I have to re-install games too? Some files are huge!
a b * Windows 8
February 5, 2013 1:21:16 PM

no ;you dont have to reinstall, plug in the drive the new all will find with 8
February 5, 2013 1:23:54 PM

gomerpile said:
no ;you dont have to reinstall, plug in the drive the new all will find with 8


I'm sorry... are you talking about I won't have to re-install Win8 or I won't have re-install old games and word documents?

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
February 5, 2013 1:30:09 PM
Share

No you wont have to reinstall, I installed 8 on my dell first, then upgrade to a new board with out reinstalling, I had to reactivate the OS for the board. everything worked fine.

Also if you use aconios to make a colone on a new drive you wont need to reinstall
February 5, 2013 1:31:22 PM

gomerpile said:
No you wont have to reinstall, I installed 8 on my dell first, then upgrade to a new board with out reinstalling, I had to reactivate the OS for the board. everything worked fine.


Awesome. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
February 5, 2013 1:31:28 PM

Best answer selected by dudka.
a b * Windows 8
February 5, 2013 1:34:03 PM

dudka said:
Best answer selected by dudka.

nOne exception, make sure you use the same drive option in bios, SATA IDE, ACHI, Raid in a none raid as your old board
!