6680 - getting rid of Orange customisation & changing the ..

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
May 26, 2005 8:10:55 AM

I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.

The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
it's possible?

I've seen photos of the 6680 that is not Orange-ised and the standby
screen looks a whole lot better. Like this one:

http://my-symbian.com/7650/grafika4/6680r17.jpg

Is there a way I can change the Standby Screen in the settings? Or is
there some kind of mod? Is it possible to flash the phone entirely to
get rid off all the Orange stuff?

TIA - Please be nice, I am just a newbie!

Thanks!

Jonny
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:40:15 AM

Even in the Nokia theme, there is still no option to change anything
about the Standby Screen in settings>phone.

I am furious with Orange for not even giving their customers the option
of changing it.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:19:27 PM

"Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
> my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.
>
> The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
> with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
> etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
> it's possible?
>
> I've seen photos of the 6680 that is not Orange-ised and the standby
> screen looks a whole lot better. Like this one:
>
> http://my-symbian.com/7650/grafika4/6680r17.jpg
>
> Is there a way I can change the Standby Screen in the settings? Or is
> there some kind of mod? Is it possible to flash the phone entirely to
> get rid off all the Orange stuff?
>
> TIA - Please be nice, I am just a newbie!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jonny

Just looking at the link to screen shot, to get that "look", simply change
to the "Nokia" theme.

Check your manual on how to change themes. The Nokia theme comes as
standard.

Customisation by networks is a pain in the butt, but I believe that the
flasher community haven't been able to work out how to do it yet... (judging
by some earlier 6680 related posts)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:30:46 PM

"meltey-chamon!" <nosepam@nosepam.com> wrote in message
news:D 74idc$f77$1@rdel.co.uk...
> "Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
>> my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.
>>
>> The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
>> with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
>> etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
>> it's possible?
>>
>> I've seen photos of the 6680 that is not Orange-ised and the standby
>> screen looks a whole lot better. Like this one:
>>
>> http://my-symbian.com/7650/grafika4/6680r17.jpg
>>
>> Is there a way I can change the Standby Screen in the settings? Or is
>> there some kind of mod? Is it possible to flash the phone entirely to
>> get rid off all the Orange stuff?
>>
>> TIA - Please be nice, I am just a newbie!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jonny
>>

> Just looking at the link to screen shot, to get that "look", simply change
> to the "Nokia" theme.
>
> Check your manual on how to change themes. The Nokia theme comes as
> standard.
>
> Customisation by networks is a pain in the butt, but I believe that the
> flasher community haven't been able to work out how to do it yet...
> (judging
> by some earlier 6680 related posts)

The 6680 can be flashed, but not unlocked.

--
<<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
<<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>

To change the "Stanby Screen", go to menu - tools - settings - phone -stand
by mode, then you can alter it the way you want, or remove it...

The picture in the link are not from the standby screen, it's inside the
Connectivity folder...

"Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
> my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.
>
> The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
> with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
> etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
> it's possible?
>
> I've seen photos of the 6680 that is not Orange-ised and the standby
> screen looks a whole lot better. Like this one:
>
> http://my-symbian.com/7650/grafika4/6680r17.jpg
>
> Is there a way I can change the Standby Screen in the settings? Or is
> there some kind of mod? Is it possible to flash the phone entirely to
> get rid off all the Orange stuff?
>
> TIA - Please be nice, I am just a newbie!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jonny

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:56:15 AM

>To change the "Stanby Screen", go to menu - tools - settings - phone -stand
by mode, then you can alter it the way you want, or remove it...

nope - Like I said in my prev post - Orange have removed that function.
Sure, you can goto tools, settings, phone, stanby mode - but you only
get the options to redefine the keys when in standy mode.

I've checked a million times. It's totally not there. I've worked out
the normal standby screen IS there, however they've removed the option
to cutomise/active it, and ADDED an Orange screen as almost like a
second standby screen that it goes to when hanging up etc. The only way
I can get to the original (proper) standby screen is by holding down
the bottom left key to view all running apps (like shift-tab in
windows) and then selecting "Telephone". But it's pretty pointless
becuase firstly I can't customise it, and secondly as soon as I end a
call etc it goes back to the Orange screen.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:17:16 AM

Have you known Nokia shops to flash them in the store? What sort of
thing should I ask for to get this service?? ;-)
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:50:04 AM

I just made a call - pretty much sorted for next week.

Now my concern is this:.. If it's unbranded, will I be use the Orange
TV application still? Or will it think I am not an Orange customer any
more and not work?

I've installed the app on my memory card, so downloading it again is
not an issue.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:33:37 PM

> Have you known Nokia shops to flash them in the store?

Yes, but they're only supposed to upgrade the firmware, not unbrand it.
Systems are being put into place by Nokia to prevent official service
centres unofficially flashing different PPM packs than what the phone was
originally provided with.

> What sort of
> thing should I ask for to get this service?? ;-)

If it's just a firmware upgrade you're after, just tell them that the phone
seems unstable and reboots randomly. If you're after them debranding it,
you'll just have to be cheeky and ask them outright (most will refuse).

--
<<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
<<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>
<<< www.thephonelocker.co.uk >>>
<<< www.gsm-solutions.co.uk >>>
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:01:54 PM

"Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message

<snip>

> > Customisation by networks is a pain in the butt, but I believe that the
> > flasher community haven't been able to work out how to do it yet...
> > (judging
> > by some earlier 6680 related posts)
>
> The 6680 can be flashed, but not unlocked.

(Thanks)
May 27, 2005 7:38:41 PM

As is probably obvious, all the operators tweak the software to constantly
remind you of their brand. It's just the price you pay for a subsidised
handset. Think of free email with advertising, paid email without.

The alternative is to buy a 6680 SIM free for about £400, then (a) you've
got choice of operator, (b) you can probably cut a better tariff deal if
there's no handset upgrade, (b) the phone will probably be more stable and
(3) you can get a half decent price on eBay when you get bored.

> >To change the "Stanby Screen", go to menu - tools - settings -
> >phone -stand
> by mode, then you can alter it the way you want, or remove it...
>
> nope - Like I said in my prev post - Orange have removed that function.
> Sure, you can goto tools, settings, phone, stanby mode - but you only
> get the options to redefine the keys when in standy mode.
>
> I've checked a million times. It's totally not there. I've worked out
> the normal standby screen IS there, however they've removed the option
> to cutomise/active it, and ADDED an Orange screen as almost like a
> second standby screen that it goes to when hanging up etc. The only way
> I can get to the original (proper) standby screen is by holding down
> the bottom left key to view all running apps (like shift-tab in
> windows) and then selecting "Telephone". But it's pretty pointless
> becuase firstly I can't customise it, and secondly as soon as I end a
> call etc it goes back to the Orange screen.

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:51:27 PM

Richard Colton wrote:
> "Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Have you known Nokia shops to flash them in the store?
>

> Yes, but they're only supposed to upgrade the firmware, not unbrand it.
> Systems are being put into place by Nokia to prevent official service
> centres unofficially flashing different PPM packs than what the phone was
> originally provided with.

Generally they have Phoenix set up so that it reads the product code and
reloads the configuration demanded by that. So you get all the branding
and the SP lock will be reinstated if it has been removed (although as
the 6680 is BB5 you won't have been able to remove it yourself anyway)

>> What sort of
>>thing should I ask for to get this service?? ;-)
>

> If it's just a firmware upgrade you're after, just tell them that the phone
> seems unstable and reboots randomly. If you're after them debranding it,
> you'll just have to be cheeky and ask them outright (most will refuse).

The one that used to do me a few favours in the past is now outright
rude if I ask them for anything of this nature, clearly the
money-grabbing bastards that set the operators' financial strategies are
leaning on the manufacturers to make it hard to escape their clutches.

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address
May 27, 2005 10:01:45 PM

Paul Turner wrote:

> I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
> my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.

Well you'll know not to use Orange again! It does make me wondor what
monkey is in charge up their, stuff like this only makes people hate the
brand.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 8:24:29 AM

"Generally they have Phoenix set up so that it reads the product code
and
reloads the configuration demanded by that. So you get all the branding

and the SP lock will be reinstated if it has been removed (although as
the 6680 is BB5 you won't have been able to remove it yourself anyway"

sorry to be dense, im not up on this stuff - does this mean that the
place I found that will flash my phone will simply flash it with the
orange configuration again?!
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 10:11:03 AM

>If it's an official service centre, almost certainly yes. Ask them first to
be sure.

so that's a waste of time then. thats what im trying to get rid of!
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:31:12 PM

> "Generally they have Phoenix set up so that it reads the product code
> and
> reloads the configuration demanded by that. So you get all the branding
>
> and the SP lock will be reinstated if it has been removed (although as
> the 6680 is BB5 you won't have been able to remove it yourself anyway"
>

> sorry to be dense, im not up on this stuff - does this mean that the
> place I found that will flash my phone will simply flash it with the
> orange configuration again?!

If it's an official service centre, almost certainly yes. Ask them first to
be sure.

--
<<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
<<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>
<<< www.thephonelocker.co.uk >>>
<<< www.gsm-solutions.co.uk >>>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:58:42 PM

thanks simon, i noticed that! it looks like such a better screen
doesnt it?! Of course as you pointed out its only temporary as the
next time you press hang-up you go back to the orange adware screen.

and of course, you're still unable to customise it too...
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:35:55 PM

"Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message

> The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
> with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
> etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
> it's possible?

Hi Jonny,
Here's a temporary fix.

Whilst in the "Orange" standby screen. Press and hold the menu button.
Select Telephone.

Et Voila!

Simon
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:49:43 AM

I'm getting a bit more used to my orange 6680 now, so thought I'd
contribute.

I'm trying to kill the HomeScreen app and process using TaskSpy (trying
to do what you chaps have tried to do another way), and can do so
successfully, but the bugger will restart whenever either the hang up
button is pressed, or you exit the menu screen. It appears to be on the
Z: drive (which is the ROM if I'm figuring this correctly). I figure
that if this can be prevented from starting the Orange standby screen
can be got rid of and some more phone memory will be freed up (around
300kb).

I guess there's something like the symbian equivalent of an
autoexec.bat starting it whenever the hang up button is pressed and
that it's not removable from ROM (unless theres a symbian equivalent of
the Jacksprat thing that manipuilates ROM in the palm PDAs), but was
wondering if anyone cleverer than me has any idea of how to do this or
stop the dam nthing from restarting.