6680 - getting rid of Orange customisation & changing the ..

I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.

The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
it's possible?

I've seen photos of the 6680 that is not Orange-ised and the standby
screen looks a whole lot better. Like this one:

http://my-symbian.com/7650/grafika4/6680r17.jpg

Is there a way I can change the Standby Screen in the settings? Or is
there some kind of mod? Is it possible to flash the phone entirely to
get rid off all the Orange stuff?

TIA - Please be nice, I am just a newbie!

Thanks!

Jonny
18 answers Last reply
More about 6680 orange customisation changing

    Even in the Nokia theme, there is still no option to change anything
    about the Standby Screen in settings>phone.

    I am furious with Orange for not even giving their customers the option
    of changing it.

    "Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
    > my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.
    >
    > The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
    > with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
    > etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
    > it's possible?
    >
    > I've seen photos of the 6680 that is not Orange-ised and the standby
    > screen looks a whole lot better. Like this one:
    >
    > http://my-symbian.com/7650/grafika4/6680r17.jpg
    >
    > Is there a way I can change the Standby Screen in the settings? Or is
    > there some kind of mod? Is it possible to flash the phone entirely to
    > get rid off all the Orange stuff?
    >
    > TIA - Please be nice, I am just a newbie!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jonny

    Just looking at the link to screen shot, to get that "look", simply change
    to the "Nokia" theme.

    Check your manual on how to change themes. The Nokia theme comes as
    standard.

    Customisation by networks is a pain in the butt, but I believe that the
    flasher community haven't been able to work out how to do it yet... (judging
    by some earlier 6680 related posts)

    "meltey-chamon!" <nosepam@nosepam.com> wrote in message
    > "Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
    >> my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.
    >>
    >> The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
    >> with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
    >> etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
    >> it's possible?
    >>
    >> I've seen photos of the 6680 that is not Orange-ised and the standby
    >> screen looks a whole lot better. Like this one:
    >>
    >> http://my-symbian.com/7650/grafika4/6680r17.jpg
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can change the Standby Screen in the settings? Or is
    >> there some kind of mod? Is it possible to flash the phone entirely to
    >> get rid off all the Orange stuff?
    >>
    >> TIA - Please be nice, I am just a newbie!
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Jonny
    >>

    > Just looking at the link to screen shot, to get that "look", simply change
    > to the "Nokia" theme.
    >
    > Check your manual on how to change themes. The Nokia theme comes as
    > standard.
    >
    > Customisation by networks is a pain in the butt, but I believe that the
    > flasher community haven't been able to work out how to do it yet...
    > (judging
    > by some earlier 6680 related posts)

    The 6680 can be flashed, but not unlocked.

    --
    <<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
    <<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>

    To change the "Stanby Screen", go to menu - tools - settings - phone -stand
    by mode, then you can alter it the way you want, or remove it...

    The picture in the link are not from the standby screen, it's inside the
    Connectivity folder...

    "Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
    > my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.
    >
    > The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
    > with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
    > etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
    > it's possible?
    >
    > I've seen photos of the 6680 that is not Orange-ised and the standby
    > screen looks a whole lot better. Like this one:
    >
    > http://my-symbian.com/7650/grafika4/6680r17.jpg
    >
    > Is there a way I can change the Standby Screen in the settings? Or is
    > there some kind of mod? Is it possible to flash the phone entirely to
    > get rid off all the Orange stuff?
    >
    > TIA - Please be nice, I am just a newbie!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jonny

    >To change the "Stanby Screen", go to menu - tools - settings - phone -stand
    by mode, then you can alter it the way you want, or remove it...

    nope - Like I said in my prev post - Orange have removed that function.
    Sure, you can goto tools, settings, phone, stanby mode - but you only
    get the options to redefine the keys when in standy mode.

    I've checked a million times. It's totally not there. I've worked out
    the normal standby screen IS there, however they've removed the option
    to cutomise/active it, and ADDED an Orange screen as almost like a
    second standby screen that it goes to when hanging up etc. The only way
    I can get to the original (proper) standby screen is by holding down
    the bottom left key to view all running apps (like shift-tab in
    windows) and then selecting "Telephone". But it's pretty pointless
    becuase firstly I can't customise it, and secondly as soon as I end a
    call etc it goes back to the Orange screen.

    Have you known Nokia shops to flash them in the store? What sort of
    thing should I ask for to get this service?? ;-)

    I just made a call - pretty much sorted for next week.

    Now my concern is this:.. If it's unbranded, will I be use the Orange
    TV application still? Or will it think I am not an Orange customer any
    more and not work?

    I've installed the app on my memory card, so downloading it again is
    not an issue.

    > Have you known Nokia shops to flash them in the store?

    Yes, but they're only supposed to upgrade the firmware, not unbrand it.
    Systems are being put into place by Nokia to prevent official service
    centres unofficially flashing different PPM packs than what the phone was
    originally provided with.

    > What sort of
    > thing should I ask for to get this service?? ;-)

    If it's just a firmware upgrade you're after, just tell them that the phone
    seems unstable and reboots randomly. If you're after them debranding it,
    you'll just have to be cheeky and ask them outright (most will refuse).

    --
    <<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
    <<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>
    <<< www.thephonelocker.co.uk >>>
    <<< www.gsm-solutions.co.uk >>>

    "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > > Customisation by networks is a pain in the butt, but I believe that the
    > > flasher community haven't been able to work out how to do it yet...
    > > (judging
    > > by some earlier 6680 related posts)
    >
    > The 6680 can be flashed, but not unlocked.

    (Thanks)

    As is probably obvious, all the operators tweak the software to constantly
    remind you of their brand. It's just the price you pay for a subsidised
    handset. Think of free email with advertising, paid email without.

    The alternative is to buy a 6680 SIM free for about £400, then (a) you've
    got choice of operator, (b) you can probably cut a better tariff deal if
    there's no handset upgrade, (b) the phone will probably be more stable and
    (3) you can get a half decent price on eBay when you get bored.

    Richard Colton wrote:
    > "Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Have you known Nokia shops to flash them in the store?
    >

    > Yes, but they're only supposed to upgrade the firmware, not unbrand it.
    > Systems are being put into place by Nokia to prevent official service
    > centres unofficially flashing different PPM packs than what the phone was
    > originally provided with.

    Generally they have Phoenix set up so that it reads the product code and
    reloads the configuration demanded by that. So you get all the branding
    and the SP lock will be reinstated if it has been removed (although as
    the 6680 is BB5 you won't have been able to remove it yourself anyway)

    >> What sort of
    >>thing should I ask for to get this service?? ;-)
    >

    > If it's just a firmware upgrade you're after, just tell them that the phone
    > seems unstable and reboots randomly. If you're after them debranding it,
    > you'll just have to be cheeky and ask them outright (most will refuse).

    The one that used to do me a few favours in the past is now outright
    rude if I ask them for anything of this nature, clearly the
    money-grabbing bastards that set the operators' financial strategies are
    leaning on the manufacturers to make it hard to escape their clutches.

    --

    Brian Morrison

    please observe reply-to address

    Paul Turner wrote:

    > I've just bought a Nokia 6680, and I am fairly happy with it, however
    > my main issues are due to over-customisation by the Orange network.

    Well you'll know not to use Orange again! It does make me wondor what
    monkey is in charge up their, stuff like this only makes people hate the
    brand.

    "Generally they have Phoenix set up so that it reads the product code
    and
    reloads the configuration demanded by that. So you get all the branding

    and the SP lock will be reinstated if it has been removed (although as
    the 6680 is BB5 you won't have been able to remove it yourself anyway"

    sorry to be dense, im not up on this stuff - does this mean that the
    place I found that will flash my phone will simply flash it with the
    orange configuration again?!

    >If it's an official service centre, almost certainly yes. Ask them first to
    be sure.

    so that's a waste of time then. thats what im trying to get rid of!

    > "Generally they have Phoenix set up so that it reads the product code
    > and
    > reloads the configuration demanded by that. So you get all the branding
    >
    > and the SP lock will be reinstated if it has been removed (although as
    > the 6680 is BB5 you won't have been able to remove it yourself anyway"
    >

    > sorry to be dense, im not up on this stuff - does this mean that the
    > place I found that will flash my phone will simply flash it with the
    > orange configuration again?!

    If it's an official service centre, almost certainly yes. Ask them first to
    be sure.

    --
    <<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
    <<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>
    <<< www.thephonelocker.co.uk >>>
    <<< www.gsm-solutions.co.uk >>>

    thanks simon, i noticed that! it looks like such a better screen
    doesnt it?! Of course as you pointed out its only temporary as the
    next time you press hang-up you go back to the orange adware screen.

    and of course, you're still unable to customise it too...

    "Paul Turner" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > The biggest issue I have is the "standby screen". I hate the Orange one
    > with all the links on the left, and with all the links to Orange World
    > etc. I can't find a way to customise it though. Does anyone know if
    > it's possible?

    Hi Jonny,
    Here's a temporary fix.

    Whilst in the "Orange" standby screen. Press and hold the menu button.
    Select Telephone.

    Et Voila!

    Simon

    I'm getting a bit more used to my orange 6680 now, so thought I'd
    contribute.

    I'm trying to kill the HomeScreen app and process using TaskSpy (trying
    to do what you chaps have tried to do another way), and can do so
    successfully, but the bugger will restart whenever either the hang up
    button is pressed, or you exit the menu screen. It appears to be on the
    Z: drive (which is the ROM if I'm figuring this correctly). I figure
    that if this can be prevented from starting the Orange standby screen
    can be got rid of and some more phone memory will be freed up (around
    300kb).

    I guess there's something like the symbian equivalent of an
    autoexec.bat starting it whenever the hang up button is pressed and
    that it's not removable from ROM (unless theres a symbian equivalent of
    the Jacksprat thing that manipuilates ROM in the palm PDAs), but was
    wondering if anyone cleverer than me has any idea of how to do this or
    stop the dam nthing from restarting.

Nokia