Computer freezing, plz help

Jwebster90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hello, 1st time builder here, built my own comp a few days ago and it keeps freezing up on me Computer screen freezes mouse/keyboard no response and alt,ctrl,del does nothing, i hav to reset and reboot my computer. Computer specs are,

CASE is ANTEC eleven hundred

GPU is ASUS GeForce GT 630 (4GB DDR3/PCI Express 2.0/810MHz/1100MHz)

CPU is Intel Core i3 3220 Retail - (1155/Dual Core/3.30GHz/3MB/Ivy Bridge/55W/Graphics) - BX80637I33220

CPU COOLER is Zalman CNPS10X Optima Heatsink and Fan

MOBO is ASUS P8H77-V LE

RAM is CORSAIR CMZ 8G X3M1A 1600C10 VENGEANCE
RAM is G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 RipjawsX

HDD is Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 Serial 3.5" Hard Drive ST1000DM003 (S-ATA/6Gb/s/64MB/7200 RPM)

SSD is Samsung 120GB Serial 2.5" Solid State Drive 840 MZ-7TD120BW (S-ATA/600)

Optical Drive is Asus Blu-Ray Combo Black OEM Drive - BC-12B1ST (S-ATA/BD-R: 12x/DVD�R: 16x/CD-R: 48x)

PSU is ZALMAN ZM500-GS POWER SUPPLY

Also im using windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I hav been watching my CPU temp when it freezes and my temp is always around 22'C to 27'C and also my CPU usage is only at about 20percent when freezing. Also GPU temp is also at around 26'C. Normally my pc freezes when im running several programs at once, EXAMPLE, downloading World of Warcraft and running taskmanager and CPU temp monitoring software and running google chrome, doing this will cause freezing to happen withing 20mins but if i leave the computer idle it has stayed on for over 5hours with no freezing.My knowledge is basic at best, Plz if any1 can help i really appreciate it and THANK YOU in advance for ur replies.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
My standard procedure for a freezing machine is along these lines...

- Check temperatures

- Run a clean boot - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

- Make sure all drivers are up to date.

- Try with a single RAM stick

- Run MemTest - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

- Run a CHKDSK (tick both boxes before pressing start) - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

EDIT:
Not 100% sure on running a CHKDSK on a SSD. Hold off until someone else confirms that ;)

But that makes me think, you could also try updating the firmware in the SSD. Use the Magician software - http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/MZ-7TD120BW-downloads

Jwebster90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

aye windows is on my SSD
wat should i be looking for with ram timing and voltage ?

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
hmms, so the computer freezes when you put a little bit strain on the CPU?
My first guess would be
Did you applied enough thermal paste on the CPU when you build your computer?
And are you sure the heatsink is connected correctly?
/if applicable - Did you connect the fan the right way?/
And last but not least - did you connect the fan to the mobo /eq - can you see it running/?

Just asking, because I dealt with the same problem a while ago, and the system builder kinda forgot to plug in the fan :)

Jwebster90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Yes, i did apply thermal paste to cpu be4 putting the heatsink on and im certain the fan is connected the rite way and i can see the fan working, like i said the CPU is dual core and core 1 is running at 22'C and core 2 at around 27'C. well below any heat / temp problems and cpu usage is not spiking be4 it freezes, i dont know why its freezing when i run a few programs :??:

Jwebster90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Have used windows Memory diagnostic tools found no problems with memory =-/

Which SSD motherboard channels are the SSD and HDD connected to? Are the SATA ports set to AHCI in the BIOS?

Jwebster90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Thank you all very much for your replies, think I have found the problem. After doing a mem check with Windows Memory Diagnostic Tools and finding no problems, I then ran Samsung magician on the ssd, I needed to put Sata configuration into ahci mode. After putting into ahci mode still had problem so i started doing clean boots to try find a process or service that was causing the problem, after disabling all but Microsoft services and startup items the problem didn't occur, so I check my event logs viewer, there I found a system error message at the time of the freezes from source: WLAN Auto Config, this is a Microsoft service which was still active but no problem occurring so I think it was conflicting with software/driver for my wireless network adapter which I had switched off in msconfig. I'm going to look in more detail at WLAN Auto Config and the drivers/software that came with my wireless network adapter, hopefully an update to the drivers will let me switch all processes and services back on and if the problem still occurs I will just keep the wireless network adapter software disabled.
Thank you again and if I hav further problems I will post in this thread

Jwebster90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Still had problems after checking all things in msconfig, so as last resort I reinstalled windows, this time making sure SSD was in ahci mode be4 I installed, all seems fine now, fingers crossed no more problems.
Thank u all for the help guys