Sign in with
Your question

Running an nvidia 660 ti and radeon hd 4850 at the same time?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2013 12:46:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find my specific question. Any help or suggestions on what to search would be appreciated.

I want to do two displays on my computers, I want my nvidia 660 ti to be the main graphics card for my primary monitory, and I want an old hd radeon 4850 to run a second monitor. Will the graphics on the main monitor be generated by the nvidia card, and the effects by the amd radeon card?

I know they can't be used in an SLI or Crossfire config. I just want to make sure that my main monitor still receives the benefits of the 660 ti when gaming and I don't want the ATI card to try and take over the primary monitor graphics.

the main monitor is at 1440p right now, the 2nd monitor will be at 1080p.

If it's not possible then I might just have to turn off the 2nd display while gaming so it doesn't slow down the main screen.

I'd appreciate any help
a c 139 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 1, 2013 1:11:55 AM

It will work, but the simplest solution is to just plug both displays into the 660Ti. The performance hit from having a second display sitting in desktop mode is minimal. It probably isn't worth the trouble to set up the two cards just to get an extra frame or two when gaming.
January 1, 2013 7:32:46 AM

thanks for the tip. I'll try that out, and add the 2nd card if I notice any noticeable drop in performance.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 1, 2013 9:46:16 AM

i am not really sure if you could run both the cards at the same time.....remember both the cards are not of the same technology provider.

you might only end up having a driver conflict between the two and thereby adding more trouble to you.

advice you to use the 660ti only and use the windows+p key to turn off the 2nd display when gaming.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 1, 2013 9:49:05 AM

siddharthmukul007 said:
i am not really sure if you could run both the cards at the same time.....remember both the cards are not of the same technology provider.

you might only end up having a driver conflict between the two and thereby adding more trouble to you.

advice you to use the 660ti only and use the windows+p key to turn off the 2nd display when gaming.

The OP should be OK so long as they're not using Vista.
!