Sign in with
Your question

First time builder, need advice.

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 6:08:39 PM

14 yr old here, upgrading my computer. I'm upgrading my cpu, ram, motherboard, and PSU. I already upgraded my GPU to a gtx 650 2gb sc, which at the time I figured was the best GPU I could get for around $140. Little did I know if I would have spent $20 more I could have gotten a much better GPu. Stresses me out because getting money as a 14 yr old isn't easy :/ 

I am buying the ASRock EXTREME3 990FX motherboard, AMD 6300 six core CPU @ 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo), 8gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM, and a Corsair CX600. Specs would be: OS: Windows 7 64 bit Res: 1600x900 Mobo: ASRock EXTREME3 990FX CPU: AMD 6300 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SC PSU Corsair CX600 RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance My current specs are: Windows 7 64 bit, 1600x900 EVGA Geforce 650 GTX 2GB SC Intel core duo e4600 @ 2.4 GHz Gigagyte GA-EG31M-S2 2x2gb corsair SMX2 (4gb total)

Would the Corsair CX600 work with both my current build and my future build without messing anything up? Any advice before using the PSU? Don't wanna fry my mobo. I've been told this will be able to run most games on medium-high settings. Believe it or not, my current build can run Skyrim on high settings at 1600x900. This whole build my own pc thing really stresses me out because I don't want to buy something that won't work.. I am terrified of DOA components... Although, I know Corsair is reliable, and ASRock is by Asus, which are both reliable.

Note: I already bought the RAM and PSU is on its way, so I want to know if I can use it with my current build. Scared of my current PSU... Generic brand that came with a case worth like $25 or $50 (Can't remember) and is over 5 years old... Also, would I need to reinstall windows? Would it all just boot up after it recognizes all the hardware? ( Told this was called POST)

Thanks in advance!

More about : time builder advice

a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2013 6:35:20 PM

Never use a PSU that came with a case. Wait for yours to come. You will have to reinstall windows.
m
l
February 17, 2013 6:50:01 PM

tiny voices said:
Never use a PSU that came with a case. Wait for yours to come. You will have to reinstall windows.

Does this mean I can use the new PSU with my current build?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2013 6:53:05 PM

Yes the new PSU will run your current build without issue.
m
l
February 17, 2013 6:54:10 PM

tiny voices said:
Yes the new PSU will run your current build without issue.

Thanks tiny, you've really helped me out on this build. without you id be out on a lot of money
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2013 7:00:09 PM

Always glad to be able to help! Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions.
m
l
!